Furious charge and powerfists

I was just thinking about how this works, because in the BRB pg 42 it says that powerfists are power weapons which doubles the users strength but the have I1. So does that mean with FC they are S10 e.g. Sergeant with fist is S4 normally +1 for FC=S5 and then the fist doubles this to S10 OR Sergeant is strength 8 at the get go and with FC is S9?

There is at least one exception to the multiply before adding (the only one I can come up with off the top of my head is the Space Wolf thunder wolf mount, which with a fist would be strength 10).

Fists are not an exception, so Strength 9.

I am not so sure about that. The Space Wolves FaQ only specifically explains that the Toughness gets upgraded to T5 instead of T4(5), with an added fluff justification that has to do with how Tough Thunderwolves are. One might assume that the same is supposed to be the case with the +1 Strength bonus, but the FaQ is very specific. Thunderwolf Cavalry models have a base Strength of 5 so would have Strength 10 with a powerfist, whereas an Independent Character with a Thunderwolf Mount would have Strength 9 with a Powerfist. So they are not so much an exception to the "multiply first" rule, but more a case of inconsistent application of mount bonuses.

According to the box on page 7 of the rulebook, stats are allways multiplied first, before other bonuses are added. So a model with a powerfist and furious charge would have Strength 9 on the charge.

Just realsied something when I read that

Warhammer works using maths principles

Brakets

Indices

Divide

Multiply

Addition

Subtraction

I just thought it was a rule before.

Kind of. They were trying to explain a rule clarification in the 3rd edition with the basic math rules, even though some of the rules at that time would have worket with parenthesis if you went with the description of the effect.

For example, 3rd Edition Eldar Striking Scorpions had an ability that granted them "+1 Strength on their close combat attacks". Armed with a Powerfist their close combat attacks would usually have been Strength 8, so with the added bonus to that it would have logically been Strength 9. Basically, 4 x 2 + 1.

On the other hand, Chaos Champions could get daemonic gifts, among them daemonic strength, which granted the model +1 Strength. This seemed much more like an improvement to the Models inherent Strength value, which would then be doubled by the Powerfist. In this case it would have been more like (4 + 1) x 2.

However, when asked in an FaQ, IIRC the answer was "you allways multiply first, it is basic math".

not meaning to 'Pick' but Eldar scorpions were BASIC S4 in 3rd

on topic; the FAQ for SW says that Thuderwolves modify the T on the lord as the two fight as one, so it is plausible to asume that in the case on the TW the basic strength is raised to 5, making fists s10.

in all other cases Strength is doubled then other modifiers are added

this is stated in the rulebook (cant remember the page number)

hope this helps!

not meaning to 'Pick' but Eldar scorpions were BASIC S4 in 3rd

And with the 'Crushing Blow' Exarch ability the Striking Scorpion Exarch would get +1 to his Close combat attacks, resulting in the aforementioned 4 * 2 + 1 = 9.

Archived