The Normish's Doom Guard WIP

The Normish

Okay, everyone, a new update!

I have received from a former Chaos Marine player a Predator Annihilator. Needless to say, it was in bad shape when I got it. There was so much dust on it that it was brown. Anyway, I managed to purify it from Chaos iconography and images, and it is now a model Imperial vehicle (nonetheless, I felt it was necessary to put numerous scrolls and holy markings on it just in case). This Predator is baptized ULTIMA (it will be the last thing you see). I used the Storm Bolter from the Dreadnought as a Storm Bolter attachment. I am quite happy with the sarcophagus on the back (I had no more Dreadnought ones, so I made a bust).

gallery_50723_4325_451756.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_589421.jpg

Next up, we have my new Assault Squad. I love the sergeant, and I think their poses are suitably epic for charging into battle. Sergeant's head is from the Legion of the Damned marine with the grenade. I got it free when I bought my stuff (they had a faulty box or something). Icon on jump pack is from the Command Squad sprue.

gallery_50723_4325_465783.jpg

I had another picture but it failed to upload.

I updated my Company Doomsayer. I had a feeling that his former appearance did not contain enough doom, so here is his new look.

gallery_50723_4325_747597.jpg

Two new Tactical Squads have been fashioned (Alpha and Beta). Alpha is shown in full, and I'm quite happy with it. The sergeant has a half-bionic face (Terminator-style), and a bionic arm on the same side. Apparently he was blown up in an explosion, but they fixed him. As for Squad Beta, I have decided to only show my sergeant (it would be too redundant if I showed them all). You will notice that he has a blue body. That is because another person (who likes Blood Angels) gave me this squad, and I tweaked it a little. He didn't even prime them before using whatever brand paint he did. You really don't want to see the painting he did on one of the finished models (but if you really do I'll show you).

gallery_50723_4325_312564.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_794145.jpg

Lastly I have some spare models. A guy with a lascannon, some random metal sergeant, and a plastic sergeant who will be sergeant of Tactical Squad Gamma. Notice the Ultramarine symbol on his banner. In my fluff, he got his banner from a dying Ultramarine Marine, and promised to hold it until he finds the new sergeant that it must be bestowed to (I might work on that bit there).

gallery_50723_4325_517086.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed my little update.

Fun and Games on the Army Blog!

Last time, twistinthunder correctly located my prototype Captain Uller. Lucky dog. Today's devilish challenge:

In the background of some pictures, there is a painting depicting a famous scene from the Napoleonic Era. Can you identify either the work or the historical event it depicts?

First right answer gets... a lifetime supply of KFM spicy Tyranid wings(bonus points to those who can identify this reference)!

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh! Is it me or have I just seen a P-H bolt pistol on one of the Assault Marines? :D Nice little touch IMO.

I like the models but what I really want (most would probably agree with me) is PAINT!! :)

Well, I'm currently lending my paint to a friend who does Orks. I'll see if I can't get some back to paint a model, so that I can show off my color scheme. And yes, it is a pre-Heresy pistol. I like how the older plastics have lighter colored plastic.

Ooh! Is it me or have I just seen a P-H bolt pistol on one of the Assault Marines? :) Nice little touch IMO.

I like the models but what I really want (most would probably agree with me) is PAINT!! ;)

Hehehe, well, I'm holding his paint for ransom! MWAHAHA!

Okay no, just kidding. I'm painting the orks while he finishes assembling his army, and soon we have exams so we won't really have much time to paint, and then i'll give him back his paints. Don't expect much painting anytime soon though... If you ask him really nicely he might put up his old painted models. Which he painted while owning only 6 colors. Want to guess how good those look? I'm talking both orks and space marines, since originally I played with his ork army, and well, let's just say that my orks look fantastic next to his. I'm looking forward to his paints as well now, considering he has 8 foundations and 12 regular paint colors now.

Brothers (in reference to fellow Space Marines)! Brothers and Sisters (in reference to fellow members of this forum)!

It gives me enormous pleasure to announce that I have finished assembling the contents of the Space Marine Megaforce Boxed set!

Sound the trumpets! Ring the bells! Drape the curtains!

Well, with that out of the way, here is your update...

First I assembled a tactical squad... 2nd Company Tactical Squad Gamma, which is the one with the sergeant who carries the Ultramarine banner. First we have the front row, which contains (from left to right): Missile-Launcher Guy, Grenade Guy, Sergeant, Auspex Guy, and Flamer Guy. Next up, second row, containing five Bolter Guys. Exciting eh? This is essentially how all of my squads are constructed. Regimented, and geared to a single purpose... templates.

gallery_50723_4325_390062.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_727787.jpg

Following this we have the Rhino APC: WARHUMMER Mark Two. The Original WARHUMMER is still around somewhere, but it needs a new paint job. Anyway, I gave it only the Storm Bolter attachment. I think it looks quite decent.

gallery_50723_4325_804372.jpg

Finally, here is an ensemble of the entirety of my current project (which is the assembly of a full Codex Second Company - I'm about halfway through). I'm too lazy to actually add up all the points, but I hazard an educated guess that it is worth about 1,500 - 2,000 points. You can see my two Predators, flanking either side of the Rhino, my Dreadnought, Command Squad, three Tactical Squads, half-strength Assault Squad and seven-man Scout Squad. I omitted two extra models which are not part of the army, and the objective marker I made as well (it's not very beautiful, but that is for another post).

gallery_50723_4325_722800.jpg

Alright, since no-one has successfully attempted to guess the last one, I'll give you one - no, two - major hints: the book the artwork is depicted on is entitled "Rites of Peace" by Adam Zamoyski, and the book is about the Congress of Vienna. Any more than that, and I might as well give you the answer straight away. Good luck!

Well guys and gals, I have a conundrum.

The friend who gave me the Chaos Predator has (at my request) also given me an Obliterator figurine. He's not using it. Below is a picture of all the parts. It's practically out of the box.

My question is...

Do you think it's possible to convert it to look like a loyalist marine?

Or maybe I should use him as a representation of my Chapter's traitorous First Company Captain?

In the latter case, I could put it in a diorama.

What say you?

gallery_50723_4325_612888.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I have not made progress on the Obliterator, as I cannot find any superglue.

I do have some news though, and several items. I switched around some models, and built some more scouts from some spare pieces. My squad now numbers nine. I also found my old Warhummer Mk. 1 Rhino (it's not a Mk. 1 Rhino, that's just its name)!

Also, I played a six hour game against FZappa's Orks. We didn't bother with point count. I lost, but barely. Man of the match was my Command Squad sergeant, who withstood a hail of gunfire and the combined beatings of five Nobz and a Warboss. He was slayed by a Nob with a big axe thing, but it was still epic when I rolled a 3+ on over twelve dice. Epic, to say the least.

It was after this game that I retrieved my paints... And I have just painted one model.

Exciting, innit?

Anyway, it's not a Doom Guard model per se, more like my Bolter and Chainsword Mini-Persona.

His name is Battle-Brother Victor Fay, and he's from the Doom Guard, obviously.

Any comments on my painting style are appreciated. Also, if there are any discrepancies with the Legio Bolter and Chainsword color scheme, be sure to tell me!

Here is the link to his Hall of Honor page: link.

Fun and Games on the Army Blog

Well, it seems that last edition's game was too challenging... For those of you who are interested, it was Emperor Alexander I, King Friedrich-Wilhelm, and Emperor Francis I meeting while on campaign.

New edition tomorrow!

Well everyone, this is it!

The long awaited painted models, in this case, most of the Doom Guard Second Company Command Squad.

Let's get straight to business:

First up, we have Captain Varas Uller, front and back.

gallery_50723_4325_888399.jpggallery_50723_4325_1724.jpg

Next, we have Company Champion Artobiut (it was going to be Artorius, but the brush slipped a little).

gallery_50723_4325_902452.jpggallery_50723_4325_2476.jpg

Now, we have Apothecary Zhivago (what?). I'm not particularly happy with the white, but hey, what can you do?

gallery_50723_4325_991398.jpggallery_50723_4325_946564.jpg

Here we have Banner-Bearer Gaios (was going to be Gaius, but again...), with a close up of the Company Banner. I'm really pleased at how it turned out.

gallery_50723_4325_795609.jpggallery_50723_4325_491118.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_853067.jpg

Lastly, we have the unfinished Veteran Sergeant Jaroslav. I like the gold powerfist, so 'm showing him off.

gallery_50723_4325_185352.jpg

Oh, and before I forget, here's a picture of that Obliterator I finally found the glue for.

I decided to have him in a diorama with a Space Marine Trooper giving him a Falcon Punch. But for the meantime, he'll just be like this.

gallery_50723_4325_303088.jpg

Who can guess how I paint my gold? The prize for the first correct answer is a confirmation of said answer!

Not bad, not bad, I like your swords, and good work on the banner. I'm sure that with a bit of practice those brush strokes will get cleaner as well. Now somebody more experienced than I, have any advice on how to paint white? I have the same problem with my army, though I get around if by just using a load at once. Since it's cloth, any detail that's lost I regain in the unique texture of a really thick coat of white paint. now if only i could get some varnish to keep it from chipping...

Well, today I spent the day painting my Dreadnought. I'm very pleased with it, and so without further ado, I give you: Revered-Brother Ketchum (I think I've already explained that - maybe I'll pronounce it 'ket-shoom'), of the Doom Guard Second Company.

gallery_50723_4325_543779.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_197950.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_495773.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_33257.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_776797.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_39506.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_916099.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well my camera is currently out of the country, so I can't show you any pictures. Things have been slow, which wa sunexpected, but I've done a few things.

I've been painting my Rhinos, and they are nearly done. I tried two different variants on the color scheme, and you can tell me which one is better, when I get the camera.

I painted my Scout Sergeant, who is looking like some elderly Chuck Norris, and my Assault Sergeant, who's armor is fancy-looking enough to be a Captain's.

I repainted my old AoBR Dreadnought, so I'm quite happy with that.

I've also decided to paint one of my three squads of Tactical Marines as Ultramarines, and another as Imperial Fists, while the third will be Doom Guard. This will give me some opportunity to try out different colors, and it will allow me to more easily identify the squads when in storage and on the battlefield.

Additionally, I painted a Warhammer fantasy Battles miniature I found in my assorted single miniatures. He looks like a crazed axe-murderer, so I quite like him, though I have no idea what unit he is supposed to be in.

Finally, I am pleased to announce that I've ordered some new material from GW to work on this summer. A Land Raider Crusader, Assault Terminators, and an Ironclad Dreadnought should be forthcoming within the next few months, while more will be around in August.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, my woeful epic struggle against the availability of the camera continues. I'm in France, but I dog-gone left the camera in Kenya! Anyway, I've painted a few Imperial Fists and Ultramarines, and my Predator Annihilator. I am also going to get some pics up of my Ironclad, LR Crusader, and Assault Terminators (with Chaplain). I have also been brightening the red on my Doom Guard (I finally got Blood Red), so you can tell me which you prefer better if I ever get the opportunity to take pictures.

That's all on this front for now.

As far as painting goes, you may want to try giving your guys a wash. Pictures make it kind of hard to tell how much this'll help, but I think it will do you minis some good.

By wash do you mean claening them with water or using a wash paint? Either way, you're probably right.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, an update with pictures, and a lengthy one at that!

Brought to you direct from the Czech Republic, we have the new additions to the Doom Guard family:

Land Raider Crusader "The Brutalizer" (I have trouble keeping the multi-melta attached).

gallery_50723_4325_244155.jpg

Assault Terminators, with mostly painted Sergeant (and a close-up of his cape, which is my first attempt at green stuff sculpting. He can count as a TDA Captain when needed).

gallery_50723_4325_431048.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_628566.jpg

Terminator Chaplain, un-named at the moment.

gallery_50723_4325_408653.jpggallery_50723_4325_112773.jpggallery_50723_4325_235360.jpg

Ironclad Dreadnought Heracles (Boosh!).

gallery_50723_4325_289653.jpg

Also, I pained a nice objective marker: this generic banner glorifying the Imperium! Huzzah!

gallery_50723_4325_191127.jpggallery_50723_4325_140559.jpg

But now, I have several issues which require the esteemed feedback of my fellow forum members.

Firstly, concerning painting, I'd like to show you my vehicle color scheme. It has very slight variations, but you get the idea from this picture, depicting "Blood Red Scheme".

gallery_50723_4325_229244.jpg

And now, the comparison of the "Blood Red Scheme" with the old "Mechrite Red Scheme".

gallery_50723_4325_2331898.jpg

I have also done the same with my infantry models:

gallery_50723_4325_439274.jpggallery_50723_4325_511153.jpg

Which is better? Is it an improvement?

Then comes the matter of Predator "Overkill". Before I acquired my wonderful Citadel briefcase with modular foam layers, The miniatures were not exactly safe. As a result, the two lateral Heavy Bolters of the Predator broke off. I've managed to re-attach them to the best of my abilities, but they're not exactly presentable. Any advice on how I could improve this?

gallery_50723_4325_2513741.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_2258688.jpg

I have also been experimenting with different camouflage patterns on my scout capes. Here you see my sergeant (center) with forest camo, flanked by two guys with desert and urban camo. Am I doing a good job on this? I'm not perfectly satisfied with either of the latter two.

gallery_50723_4325_125606.jpg

Here's an Iron Lord Devastator Marine I painted as well. I liked their color scheme, I had a spare miniature, so I figured why not paint him?

gallery_50723_4325_376191.jpggallery_50723_4325_175972.jpg

And as some final images to leave you with, here's my assault squad in the "Mechrite Red Scheme":

gallery_50723_4325_1754153.jpg

Some of my vehicles in the Briefcase:

gallery_50723_4325_920370.jpg

And finally, my current workspace.

gallery_50723_4325_3241491.jpg

Can you guess where the Assault Marine directly to the left of the Sergeant (from our perspective) gets his left arm (from his perspective)?

The arm looks like it's a Tank-Gunner's arm for the Pintle-mounted Storm Bolter...

With a Scout Scoped/Silenced Bolt Pistol...

I know, 'cause I tried it early on in my career ^^

Great work, by the way - I like it ;)

Arenis

The arm looks like it's a Tank-Gunner's arm for the Pintle-mounted Storm Bolter...

With a Scout Scoped/Silenced Bolt Pistol...

I know, 'cause I tried it early on in my career ^^

Great work, by the way - I like it ;)

Arenis

Congratulations!

I didn't think someone would get it that fast. Oh well.

Archived