The Normish's Doom Guard WIP

The Normish

It's shaping up rather well! The cape was a good first try, I have no doubt you'll get even better with time, maybe with some tools as well. I can't really say much because I have yet to get my hands on some green stuff myself. If I knew of a good way to paint letters I would, but I really don't. in fact, I'd benefit from some advice in that area as well. I like your new red more than the old, but now you're drifting into my sort of army: candy colored. Maybe you could try adding a little more grit and depth, particularly on your tank, and it would suit your tastes more if I know you at all. Still, some group shots would be nice, because that's what your army and paint is intended for, yes? To be looked at from the top in a proper game. All in all though, the army's coming along rather well, though since I'm not a primarily Space Marine player, no doubt I'm missing some of the finer points.

It's shaping up rather well! The cape was a good first try, I have no doubt you'll get even better with time, maybe with some tools as well.

Well, I have been using the sculpting tool. It looks better on the actual model, as the picture is sort of blurry

I can't really say much because I have yet to get my hands on some green stuff myself. If I knew of a good way to paint letters I would, but I really don't. in fact, I'd benefit from some advice in that area as well.

Just use a fine detail brush and some black or white paint, depending on the surface color... If I remember correctyl, you have Orks as a main army, so I'm not sure where lettering comes in that much.

I like your new red more than the old, but now you're drifting into my sort of army: candy colored. Maybe you could try adding a little more grit and depth, particularly on your tank, and it would suit your tastes more if I know you at all. Still, some group shots would be nice, because that's what your army and paint is intended for, yes? To be looked at from the top in a proper game. All in all though, the army's coming along rather well, though since I'm not a primarily Space Marine player, no doubt I'm missing some of the finer points.

Well, trust me, they look grittier in real life. Besides, if you look at the Imperial Fists, clad in their bright yellow, it's very possible to be GRIMDARK and bright.

I'll do some squad shots when I've got a squad painted to my satisfaction. As for my army, at the moment I only have my Doom Guard with me. I have a squad of Imperial Fists and Ultramarines somewhere else ready to be finished as well, with their own Rhinos.

Speaking of Rhinos, I also have done an interesting Fresco of my Captain slaying a traitor painted on the back door of one of my Rhinos. It's quite primitive, but I'll get a picture up if I ever find a camera again (the one used for this last update has left us).

My friends!

I have a question and an idea. Well, they're really the same thing. After seeing this thread, I have wondered about something. Would not a set of Mk. III armor be perfect for representing Sternguard veterans? Would they work better than the existing models? I have th GW metal kits on my wish list, and am planning to order them within the month, but I don't think I can resist these Iron Armor Space Marines? Should get both and count these guys as something else? Or just a Combat Squad or Collection Piece?

I think the Mk.III's would work pretty well as a Sternguard Squad or equally well as a Collectors Piece. What you could do is model them as Sternguard and paint them as 'Collectors' to ejoy the best of both ideas :D.

James

Well, I still have a month to make my mind, so we'll see.

As for my current army, I have a few items to post. Pictures might be a bit big, I'll re-size them some other day, so if you want to see closer, you might have to zoom in. Also, sorry for the flash on some photos, but I'm not using my own camera, and I'd rather not change the settings.

Painted Terminator with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield:

gallery_50723_4325_874149.jpg

Painted Scout with Sniper Rifle:

gallery_50723_4325_597242.jpg

The fresco at the back of one of the Rhinos:

gallery_50723_4325_838654.jpg

I've decided that my second Company Captain, Varas Uller, is a little self-centered, and likes to self-glorify. This does not lessen his skills as a warrior or tactician, mind you. I intend to put little touches of his egocentricity on various vehicles in my army, starting with he backs of Rhinos.

Here is an ensemble shot of my current progress on the Doom Guard,if anyone wants to know:

gallery_50723_4325_1487961.jpg

Alright, today we have some Greenstuff (or is it Green Stuff?) to show off.

I got up early this morning in anticipation of an arrival by plane by my father, but due to some hilarious problems at the airport in Amsterdam (the door fell off the plane - funniest thing I've heard all week), I got to work on my beloved miniatures instead.

So, bored of painting, I decided to do some detailing for my models. If you look at the previous posts, you'll notice that Captain Uller is sort of bland. That's what got me to thinking I should make some neat decorations for him, to make him look more the part of Captain. I modeled him a loincloth, and a new little cord thing across his shoulder (you know, Captains also have them on their breastplates). Keep in mind of course, for all of the pictures, that they look better in real life, and that I'm fairly new at modeling greenstuff.

gallery_50723_4325_497084.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_1523318.jpg

Then I turned my thoughts to my sergeants. Originally, I had them all designated by back banners, which, while awesome, was making them impractical to carry around in the mallette. So I decided to give my sergeants capes. Not only does it look fancy, but they can twirl them dramatically!

Imagine this: Marines vs. Orks.

"WAAAGH!"

"For the Emperor!"

"Oi, nice kape dere humie!"

"Thanks." Marine decapitates Ork

"Judgment of the Righteous!"

Anyway, here is my Tactical Sergeant Harold:

gallery_50723_4325_188075.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_1553200.jpg

My Assault Sergeant (unnamed):

gallery_50723_4325_810131.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_1043243.jpg

My Command Sergeant Jaroslav (I'll be changing the white shoulder pad, I was just seeing what it would look like):

gallery_50723_4325_1367914.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_231694.jpg

I like Jaroslav's helmet crest, because without something on it, it looked shamelessly thin next to his squad mates, so this adds some much needed volume to his head.

And here are all four, with Revered-Brother Ketchum, who is getting an embossed Chapter icon on his left front panel thing.

gallery_50723_4325_283876.jpg

Some thoughts on using Greenstuff:

You need patience. I tried various things for my Assault Sergeant, a cape being out of the question for some guy with flames coming out of his back, and I tried putting little cordons on his jump pack, like the Vanguard Veterans have. This started out fairly well, but then there were all the complications. Greenstuff, while being delicate, is also incredibly sticky, even with wet tools and hands, so nicely modelling little threads annoyed me to no end, that I gave up on that idea and made him a nice set of robe leggings.

Anyway, that's all today. Oh, and I almost forgot: forgive the terrible picture quality, the flash sort of erases the depth in the pictures,s o you may not be able to tell where the Greenstuff folds and things.

Fun and Games on the Army Blog!

Last time, Dragonkin Arenis correctly guessed that one of my Assault Marines had a "Tank-Gunner's arm for the Pintle-mounted Storm Bolter."

For today's challenge, take a look at the pictures. In some of them, you can see the newspaper I use as table-protection. There is a picture of a guy jogging and giving a "thumbs up" to the photographer. Who is that person? Hint: he's pretty well known, and European.

Hello, Normish

Nice army and some quite cool ideas that you have there! I like the rhino fresco very much. Just a quick question; is Mechrite Red or Blood Red easier to use? I would like to know because my Scythebearers are going to use a red and I like Mechrite Red a lot, but I am tempted to use Red Gore.

Sincerely,

Porridge

Good question.

I used to do all my army with Mechrite Red. It's a foundation paint, so it's really easy to apply. However, I did find it to be a bit dull,a nd not exactly what I visualized. So I got Blood Red. What I do is paint Mechrite Red on first, and then a layer of Blood Red, because it's a thinner paint, and would be more difficult to apply on its own.

So while Mechrite Red is easier to use, it doesn't really look striking on the table-top if you use other dark colors in your scheme (like my guys have black).

• 1 month later...

I haven't updated in a while, I've been busy moving around the place, getting installed into University, et cetera.

I have however gotten a lot of work done since... What was it? August 15th? I've re-done my Command Squad, I've changed my greenstuff experiments, and I've been painting a lot. Oh, and I've re-posed all of my tactical squads (that was incredibly frustrating). I've gotten some new models, including Dark Angels Chief-Librarian Ezekiel (my counts-as standard SM Librarian), and the Emperor's Champion (replacement for my sadly defunct Captain Uller). I expect to get some more stuff as the year progresses. Hopefully by Sunday I can finish some squads and get some pictures up (one disadvantage of not having a camera is being unable to post pictures), and I'll be asking opinions about my Highlighting test model. I usually don't highlight my miniatures, but I decided to give it a shot.

That's all for now.

EDIT: Grammar

Okay, here we go! Again, sorry for picture quality if you can't see.

My AoBR Dreadnought, Brother Magister:

gallery_50723_4325_2022573.jpg

My new Librarian (it's an awesome pose, innit?):

gallery_50723_4325_1246084.jpggallery_50723_4325_711586.jpg

New Command Squad:

gallery_50723_4325_1948927.jpggallery_50723_4325_1950862.jpggallery_50723_4325_237645.jpggallery_50723_4325_891916.jpggallery_50723_4325_1027114.jpg

(I'm actually really disappointed you can't see them well. I swear I'll get better pictures some day)

Proposed New Captain (unfinished):

gallery_50723_4325_1056081.jpg

Fully painted and finished Terminator Squad:

gallery_50723_4325_734569.jpg

Nearly finished Assault Squad (nice Sergeant pose):

gallery_50723_4325_587382.jpg

New Troop poses (not the mix-matched colors; this will all be standardized in the Doom Guard color scheme eventually, like thos six guys in the middle):gallery_50723_4325_1688062.jpg

And now, the crown jewel of my collection: Predator ULTIMA:

gallery_50723_4325_1923098.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_1891185.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_412583.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_1817903.jpg

gallery_50723_4325_760335.jpg

Hope that was good, and if I can, I'll get some better pictures in the future.

No-one guessed that the jogging man was Nicolas Sarkozy, President of France. Too difficult, I guess, even if his name is visible.

for this edition: what small discrepancy is visible with the newly painted Terminators (modeling problem, nothing important, only annoying for me)?

First to guess correctly gets to decide the pose of an Angry Marine model I intend to make!

No-one guessed that the jogging man was Nicolas Sarkozy, President of France. Too difficult, I guess, even if his name is visible.

for this edition: what small discrepancy is visible with the newly painted Terminators (modeling problem, nothing important, only annoying for me)?

First to guess correctly gets to decide the pose of an Angry Marine model I intend to make!

One of the Terminators has lost has sensor-thingy?

Nice looking models ;) I can't say they're GD standar but they do look good :)

Ludovic

One of the Terminators has lost has sensor-thingy?

Nice looking models :devil: I can't say they're GD standar but they do look good ;)

Ludovic

Nope! While one of them is certainly missing an sensor-thingy, it doesn't bother me that much. Try again!

Yeah, I know. I never intended to be GD standard anyway, just tabletop quality. If I intend to put something in the GD, I'll paint it accordingly. In the meantime, I want to be able to field them without them looking bland.

How did I not notice that???

The only other thing I can see is that there appears to be a pronounced mold line along the top of the sergeants hammer.

Probably wrong again though :D

You're right! you are wrong.

If you give a critique to my models in some way or another, I'll give you another hint for trying.

Critique eh.

Overall the thing that stands out the most for me is your posing of the models. I feel you have some nice dynamic squads and about the only criticism I have is that you need more paints.

For example when you layered the blood red over the mechrite red it gave the models a lot more depth, so if you get a few more complementary paints for your current scheme eg; inks, I can see your overall army look becoming more striking.

So, how about that hint? :)

Did the sergeant's greenstuff cape fall off? I've had trouble with greenstuff not adhering to smooth plastic as it dries on occasion.

Did the sergeant's greenstuff cape fall off? I've had trouble with greenstuff not adhering to smooth plastic as it dries on occasion.

Actually, I took it off.

So, here's that hint: shoulders. Now, it's almost too easy.

I have a feeling that if you do I will want to throw my eyes away for the useless things that they are :lol:

But yeah it's probably a good idea just so I dont end up pushing my face trough my monitor :P

All wrong! I suppose I have to tell you.

The far left Terminator's Crux Terminatus is, out of all of them, the most ornate, when it should have gone to the sergeant. I guess that was difficult to see, huh? I'll try to make it easier next time.

• 2 weeks later...

New, mercifully short update:

Switched the guns of Predator OVERKILL from Heavy Bolters to Lascannons. This makers it a combi-Predator, and makes up fro the lack of anti-armor weaponry in my army (after all, I won't just be playing Orks forever):

gallery_50723_4325_45591.jpg

Re-done the comapny champion and finally glued together my Apothecary (it had broken previously). Note the heavy greenstuff work for the Champion:

gallery_50723_4325_571.jpggallery_50723_4325_32170.jpg

Captain Uller got his Iron Halo and a ranged weapon, making him look slightly less empty, and more like an officer:

gallery_50723_4325_14364.jpg

I've been making a new Dreadnought weapon for my AoBR Dreadnought, so that it, like my other Dreadnoughts, could have anti-infantry weaponry. I used the Flamestorm (or whatever) Cannon from the Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer kit, cut a few things up, and used some greenstuff to plug the gaps. all I need is some sort of box-like covering to make it look the part:

gallery_50723_4325_12483.jpggallery_50723_4325_27079.jpggallery_50723_4325_42276.jpg

I'm also working on a re-make of my Bolter and Chainsword mini-persona, Victor Fay. Gave him some big guns:

gallery_50723_4325_21275.jpg

No-one guessed last time's answer, so this time, I'll make it really easy (I hope):

From what kit did the Iron Halo for the latest incarnation of Captain Uller come from?

Archived