AP1-weapons in Apocalypse

The Prophet

The 5th ed. rulebook (on page 61) says that AP1-weapons add a +1 modifier to the vehicle damage table, either if it's a glancing or a penetrating hit.

The Apocalypse book has a summary of modifiers on the super-heavy damage table (on page 93), which do not include the AP1-weapons above.

The Apocalypse book is older than the 5th ed. rulebook, but in Apocalypse reload, I cannot find any clarification on this:

1. Is the modifier to be included for super heavies as well or not?

2. If it's a D-weapon and has AP1, does it get +2 as a modifier?

Does anyone have a clear answer? Or how does your gaming group handle this?

Talk through it with your oppenent before hand: Apoc was written for 4th ed, several things don't mesh perfectly with the current 5th Ed rules, this could be one of them.

Under 4E AP=1 got a penetrating hit when armour pen equalled AV rather than getting a glancing hit, now it gets +1 on the damage roll.

Under the Destroyer description it says that Str D weapons just add +1 to damage roll, so this is designed to apply to both regular and super-heavies

Strictly speaking, AP 1 has no effect against Superheavy Vehicles. This is because the rule which says that AP 1 weapons get +1 on their damage rolls only exists as a modifier for the normal vehicle damage table.

Destroyer weapons which are AP 1, though do get +2 against regular vehicles. This is because the rules which says that Destroyer weapons receive +1 to their damage rolls is part of the Destroyer Weapon rules (which state that Destroyer weapons receive +1 to their damage rolls against vehicles--not just super-heavy vehicles), in addition to being listed as a modifier on the super-heavy damage chart.

Can you point me to the page in the apoc book where it states that Superheavy won't get +1 on their damage chart for being hit by an AP 1 weapon, i cannot find it.

I believe that is not to be found anywhere, though the list of modifiers on page 93 (in the S-H damage table) does not include it, so one could argue that it won't apply to super heavies, since the 5th ed. rulebook talks about the "vehicle damage table" (pg. 61).

On the other hand, if one should think about what was intended or what is the most fitting, it may be more reasonable that AP1-weapons damage all vehicles in the same manner.

One could argue that the Super Heavies are more robust vehicles than non-Super Heavies and are not susceptible to things like AP1 weapons. The rules say no but whether you and your friends want to allow it is up to you.

One could argue that the Super Heavies are more robust vehicles than non-Super Heavies and are not susceptible to things like AP1 weapons. The rules say no but whether you and your friends want to allow it is up to you.

That would be a lame excuse, eg Imperial tanks are also different build than Eldar vehicles yet they both gain +1 on damage chart by ap1 weapons.

There is a difference between design and how robust a tank is. A car(Vehicle) made by the US is equally as susceptible to say a flame thrower as a car(Vehicle) made by the Japanese for example. Same with a pick up truck(Vehicle) vs any other transport vehicle. But a US tank(Super Heavy) and a Japanese tank(Super Heavy) won't be all that susceptible to a flamer as frankly it's huuuge and designed to be more resilient to such things. It's nothing to do with who made it, it's about the scale and how well built it is to not be affected by stuff like that. Sure a small bomb would wreak havok in a car(Vehicle) but against a huge tank(Super Heavy) or I don't know an oil tanker(Super Heavy), it's not gonna be as effective.

Like I've said, those are the actual rules, BUT, if you don't want to do that then fair enough.

Archived