couple of quickies

greatcrusade08

Hi guys, i had a couple of queries come up in a recent game:

a: The rules about assaulting vehicles say if the vehicle didnt move in its previous turn then all attacks against it automatically hit. So if a vehicle (LSS) uses a scout move does it count as having moved as per the rules and do the attacks hit automatically?

b: If an IC moves and joins a stationary unit, can that unit then fire its heavy weapons, or does it count as having moved?

thanks

a:BRB pg 63 -

"attacking a vehicle that moved at cruising speed in its previous turn = 6+
my emphasis

i would argue that since there was no previous turn, then you cant have moved in it so you gt hit automatically - but i admit its one of those things that needs FAQing and wouldnt be suprosed to see it go either way if it was.

b:BRB pg 48-

if an independant character moves and joins or leaves a unit that did not move, the character counts as having moved in the ensuing shooting phase, but the unit does not

so yes, the unit may shoot their heavies, as they do not count as having moved

AM

i personally would play the scouting vehicle as if it had moved, it seems the fairest solution. whilst i agree RAW it should be played differently, to me my solution feels right. I wouldn't argue if someone disagreed with me though

For question B (quick thought because I am at work), doesn't the ic join the unit if he ends the turn within 2 inches?, so therefore, he wouldn't be considered to be part of the unit till the end of your entire turn is done(moving, shooting ,assaulting for all units), and therefore the unit could shoot. Could be wrong on that but I think it is how it works.

For Question A I think I would count it as moving myself, but that feels like a coin toss to me.

Edit: and I just notice that question B was ansered more offixally 2 posts up, whee!

...he wouldn't be considered to be part of the unit till the end of your entire turn is done(moving, shooting ,assaulting for all units),...

The judgement of whether he has joined the unit happens at the end of the Movement phase, not the end of the turn (P48 - first bullet point).

It's been ruled (somewhere) that the Scout move does count as movement for purposes of cover saves, which would also imply movement for assault purposes as well.

As to the IC causing a unit to have "moved" when it joins, the answer is yes since the rules for shooting state that any model in a unit that has moved during the movement phase will count the entire unit as "moved" in the shooting phase, and after an IC joins a unit it will be counted as part of the unit during the shooting phase. Taken together, a moving IC will "move" the unit it joins, regardless of whether or not the unit moved before the IC joins. Another way of looking at it is that a unit that has just joined with an IC cannot move afterward anyway, because one or the other had to move to force the joining.

SJ

As to the IC causing a unit to have "moved" when it joins, the answer is yes since the rules for shooting state that any model in a unit that has moved during the movement phase will count the entire unit as "moved" in the shooting phase, and after an IC joins a unit it will be counted as part of the unit during the shooting phase. Taken together, a moving IC will "move" the unit it joins, regardless of whether or not the unit moved before the IC joins. Another way of looking at it is that a unit that has just joined with an IC cannot move afterward anyway, because one or the other had to move to force the joining.

Incorrect, as was stated in the first reply - BRB P48 bullet 5 - the IC counts as moving, the unit does not.

It's been ruled (somewhere) that the Scout move does count as movement for purposes of cover saves, which would also imply movement for assault purposes as well.

I thought it had been the reverse, cover saves were ruled out.. does anyone have any quotable sources?

Archived