Infantry Armies

Cyresh

I have recently been working around the idea of building an infantry based army. I wonder if i would be shooting myself in the leg by having my csm units running around on foot instead of in rhinos? Has anyone tried this method with any success or is it a reciepe for failiure?

Foot armies were great in the 3.5 codex. Under the new regime of 40k rules, the concept of mobility and mobile cover is just such a no-brainer.

The initial advantage of units on foot would be the opportunity cost of transports. But transports are so damn cheap now...

Foot armies can actually make use of heavy weapons in 10-man CSM squads. But an entire 200 point unit for one heavy weapon is such a bad use of firepower when you consider the superior role of Havocs and Obliterators.

Its just sad that the game has come to this point. Like I said, the 3.5 codex offered to much more versatility while maintaining a competitive edge. I wish I could say that a foot army was viable under the new rules... But I can't.

Foot armies were one of the best ways to play in the 3.5 codex, especially after the New Vehicle Rules made transports into deathtraps. At one point I played an all-infiltrator Chaos Undivided army that did fairly well. I'm not so sure about the current rules. I'm told pie plates are less useful, but I think auto-dismount is still around.

Lash makes chaos footsloggers more viable than any other marine army. Since I can just toss that out there, one turn assaulting daemon princes and a good load of move and fire obliterators/invlunerable save units like terminators/possessed/thousand sons with icon of tzeentch (the first two) giving 4+ front line saves and 4+ cover behind them.

20 size units also make for great counter units with how well we do in melee with two weapons each. A unit of 10 blood claws charging a unit of 20 marines will face 40 attacks on the return. (hitting on 3+'s because of their WS3) And come out on the level or superior. Giving no-way-out options to fast/creative armies that always get the assault but lack overpowering firepower. Units of 20 means the icons affect double the models, but not as many champs/weapon upgrades but if your going for numbers you may only want a few fist champs around anyways instead of spamming them. On top of having to kill a good 15 models before forcing the champ to take armor saves.

Quantity over quality, chaos can pull it off. Just not as effective as some other options at times. You can still run 60 raptors and 2 lashes with some ranged firepower to pop transports and still get first turn assaults off.

Lash makes chaos footsloggers more viable than any other marine army.

because its not like every imperial army runs hoods and every nid leeper+shadow of the warp and every eldar runs runes . And its not like almost every army out there is mecha or has LoS blockers. Even in a freaking mirror match if both chaos players run slogging lists and both play lash , the one with 10 squads has half fewer points controled

A unit of 10 blood claws charging a unit of 20 marines will face 40 attacks on the return. (hitting on 3+'s because of their WS3) And come out on the level or superior

because every man alive when sees a 10 man terminator unit or 20 csm cant do anything else but charge that unit with smaller ones without IC support . preferably one unit at a time <_<. If something is going to charge a 20 man csm unit [and how that unit doesnt get shot at is beyond words] then its going to be something like a assault termi unit with 2 HQ attached or a 8 man zerker one with 2DP support . The very idea that a 20 man squad is a better [or even good] way to play because it beats up a 10 man unit[specially when BC suck hard] , even without going in to the whole terrain , LoS , being unable to hide , having half the number of upgrades , being food for pie plates [what is not normal since 4th ed] etc .

Nice to note the negative to a positive remark as both sides of the coin but no need to be abrasive about it. Narrowing a few options does not mean perfectly denying everything jeske.

"termicide what if they have their men surrounding their tanks so that deep strike cannot get close!"

"what if they have deep striking pods with tons of melta to kill my obliterators?"

What if's are just that, "what if".

:P

Archived