Fluff from DoW 2 Chaos Rising

minigun762

So I spent most of the weekend burning through the new DoW expansion and it had some interesting fluffy tidbits.

Some spoilers in there, so beware

1) I was pretty surprised to see a former Word Bearer enlisted amongst the Black Legion and not just anyone but a Dark Apostle. True when your master explodes your body, your loyalty might be tested.

2) Its another reference point for the idea that important Chaos leaders can be brought back from death by the power of the warp.

3) The Great Unclean One was pretty much how I expected it to be. Morbid and jovial.

4) Applying an in-game movement speed reduction to the Plague Marines brought up an interesting idea, what if they had been given S&P instead of the Thousand Sons. I wonder if they'd still be a common.

5) There seems to be growing evidence of a strong connection between the Blood Ravens and Black Legion. Not sure if its gene-seed related though. Corrupting a Chapter Master is pretty impressive, even though it wasn't Abaddon directly, he has taken an interest in them.

6) How I wish that tabletop Predaters performed the same as in-game. This isn't a spoiler, just a wish. All it would take is to have Predators with Power of the Machine Spirit built in.

7) I also like how they depicted autocannons working, especially on the Dreadnought. Not so much a spray of bullets as a "thud thud thud" steady stream.

gotta say I didn't like some of the stuff, a lot of it seemed to me like it was made up by relic simply to streamline the storyline they chose to follow, as well as gameplay in general (ex. Dr. Explode in Dark Crusade, heretic squads in general, the lack of a proper 3rd commander)

I also don't like how you have a Tzeench sorcerer and Khornate daemons on the same side. And not just lesser daemons. Bloodcrushers. Khorne likes my Tzeench sorcerer enough to bestow Bloodcrushers upon him.

And the lack of Slaanesh. Didn't like the lack of Slaanesh.

@Minigun: How was the Chaos Dreadnought? I haven't played it yet, but I liked the updated design in the screenshots. Does it have Crazed behavior, sometimes shooting Chaos forces?

I'm trying not to be too optimistic, but I hope if the game does well GW might take a look at moving up development of new Chaos Marines material for 40K to captialize on the computer game's popularity. I know, I know, wishful thinking, eh? ;)

@Minigun: How was the Chaos Dreadnought? I haven't played it yet, but I liked the updated design in the screenshots. Does it have Crazed behavior, sometimes shooting Chaos forces?

No, they work just fine actually, very sane.

Start with AC/DCCW and you can either go with ML/DCCW with some kind of barrage fire kinda like the CML for Terminators or 2x DCCW like the loyalist Dread.

Crippster: I gotta agree with the lack of love for Slaanesh. They have 0 references to him/her expect for a vocal taunt when you kill Eldar units.

And the lack of Slaanesh. Didn't like the lack of Slaanesh.

Agreed. Slaanesh always gets the short end of the stick in these games, just because he/she is the youngest Chaos Power, and maybe not totally PG-13 rated. I just hope they add something with the next expansion.

I was disappointed by Chaos Rising, it felt really anticlimactic and a bit of a cluster-- to me. Also

is Tarkus always the traitor or is it just whoever is the most corrupt of your squads and mine just happened to be Tarkus? Oh and what was the point of Araghast? He shows up, does nothing, is predictably betrayed by Eliphas and dies. Whoopee. Also they changed Eliphas's voice and it is now much less creepy and awesome than it was, and his death was also quite anticlimactic and I really don't understand why he would die for the sake of a daemon that he (I surmise) only made a pact with to be brought back to life

The game is awesome, though I am playing on captain and man is it TOUGH to kill that big nurgle prince, though he is quite jovial!

Yeah he is by far the most difficult boss in the game, makes the avatar look like a kitty cat. I basically had to cheat, after he would kill all of my squads, I would have my force commander run around in circles kiting him waiting for Unholy Revival to cooldown, then cast it, and rinse and repeat. It took about a half hour.

Personally i like the new and improved heretic squads... wish we had some counterpart in C:csm... while on the topic of the heretic squads: any idea how to convert something similar without loads and loads of greenstuff work ?

I LOVE the cultists. Cheap and kinda cool. I would really like my cultists returned to my army list. I still can't believe that the Chaos Army List has no damn cultists. The worship mode they have can be a life saver.

The first time I played the game, all my squads were squeeky clean and pure, so I can't comment much on the corrupted squads.

With the GUO, 2x Orbital Bombardments helped, after that it was zerging from the graveyard/beacon while keeping damage on him.

Chaos dreads do have insanity mode when you give em mark of khorne

Speeds em up, makes them hit alot harder but can attack friendlies and enemies

I let him loose in a skirmish game against the AI. booooyy was that hilarious and horrifying at the same time :huh: .

Game wise I like how they are depicting the powers but yes I miss Slaanesh and I can't fathom why they are missing.

I got it now too, lovely game. I'm not taking it too seriously fluff-wise. The general feeling of 40k is great I think.

The plague marines are kinda cool, although their weapon loadout (missile launcher) makes no sense ofc. 'pestilience and disease'

But tbh, the other factions are designed better I think. Some wrong choices considering units I think.

Archived