Command Squads: Retinues or not?

By the rules as written, Retinues are described as a special unit that can accompany an IC with the distinction being that they cannot be left by the IC during the course of the game until all members of the retinue are killed. Thereafter the IC reverts to being an IC again with all benefits, disadvantages, etc.

By the rules as written, Command Squads are able to be taken as long as you also have the appropriate HQ IC unit in your army. It further describes them as not taking up an HQ slot themselves.

So, based on the fact that the CS is noted as not taking up a slot, as opposed to the wording of some Retinues where they and the IC count as one unit, is it safe to assume that a CS can be purchased and then freely left and joined by an IC throughout the course of the game? i.e. a CS is not a Retinue

I'm going by rules as written as well as by fluff description. An example of the latter mentions a CS upgraded with a Company Champion as having the freedom to throw the CC against enemy champions thus freeing the IC up to "conduct the wider battle rather than engage in a series of personal combats". Interestingly, an Honor Guard fills a similar role as the Command Squad, and with regard to rules as written, but are listed as commonly serving as the retinue for a high-ranking commander in fluff. Here the word retinue is clearly mentioned albeit in the fluff.

Thoughts?

Fair dos i guess, for some of us its an argument that we see alot..

Basically to be a true retinue the character has to be part of the unit, cannot leave and cannot be targetted seperately.. despite using the fluff term retinue in several places both the honour guard and command squad cannot be considered retinues becuase of the above reasons.

Archived