Vehicles Being Surrounded Then Wrecked

Ashe Darke

So we all know the tactic of covering up the exits of a tank and trying to wreck it to kill the guys inside. Well I've been thinking about this and I think there is a way around it. It's inspired by the vertical disembarking thread a while a go.

So lets assume I have some guys in a Raider (it's big enough for this to work easily). The enemy have surrounded the tank and charged it and manage to wreck it. I then need to disembark if I can or be destroyed. This is where the vertical thing comes in. Most people go ahhh well I can't do it, they're dead. But a wreck becomes difficult/dangerous terrain and so models are now eligible to walk on it. What is to stop me disembarking on the top of the vehicle but keeping the bases within two inches of the hatch? It should be easy to do so without being within an inch of an enemy.

I know this is cheesy, but so is the other tactic. The rules for disembarking are to have part of your base within two inches of the hatch and the wreck is now passable terrain. There were people in the other thread who didn't like the idea, not thinking the top of the hatch counted, so I expect people to raise their voices or ummm keyboards. This, like my other thread is merely another amusing observation.

It isn't cheesy, it's illegal...

The rulebook says:

Destroyed – wrecked:

The passengers must immediately disembark and then

take a Pinning test. Any models that cannot disembark

are destroyed. After this, the vehicle becomes a wreck.

It isn't cheesy, it's illegal...

The rulebook says:

Destroyed – wrecked:

The passengers must immediately disembark and then

take a Pinning test. Any models that cannot disembark

are destroyed. After this, the vehicle becomes a wreck.

Thought I might have been missing something. Good catch.

Some friends and I were just talking about this earlier this week.

Also keep in mind that rules are written you can not voluntarily 'emergency disembark'. That rule only comes into play if you can not place a model normally with disembark restrictions. So no destroying a land raider and the guy deploys his men behind the wreck so they can't be shot.....or as I'm sure we'll see with Blood Angels soon. If I kill a rhino and the guy puts his guys 2" in front of it so they will be in assaulting range next turn, that is not legal either.

Just a random tid bit to digest ;)

Some friends and I were just talking about this earlier this week.

Also keep in mind that rules are written you can not voluntarily 'emergency disembark'. That rule only comes into play if you can not place a model normally with disembark restrictions. So no destroying a land raider and the guy deploys his men behind the wreck so they can't be shot.....or as I'm sure we'll see with Blood Angels soon. If I kill a rhino and the guy puts his guys 2" in front of it so they will be in assaulting range next turn, that is not legal either.

Just a random tid bit to digest ;)

That's why if you're going full speed ahead with a Raider it's probably best to zoom backwards, or at least sideways.

Archived