Plasma Cannon/Multi-Melta for Sonic Weapons

minigun762

What do you think about using Plasma Cannons and Multi-Meltas as "count as" Sonic Blasters and Blastmasters?

There shouldn't be much confusion since no where can CSMs use either weapon in a man portable fashion and the tubes/energy nature of the weapons lend themselves to look. Basically I'm looking for an easy swap because I don't like the expensive metal bits and the conversions using the Bolters and dragon faces aren't my thing either.

P.S. and I sure as hell don't like the guitars!

I'm honestly not too keen on the idea, people might get confused especially as I imagine some people might not know that Chaos cannot take those weapons. Also, don't you play Flawless Host? So sonic weapons would actually be very in theme and there isn't much reason for this "counts as" which would probably only add to the confusion. As for the cost, I recommend you convert them, there's been several tutorials on how to make pretty good looking sonics from spare bits.

As Rain said using the stock weapons would tend to cause confusion. We all know that no CSM in the codex can actually carry the weapon system but there are loads of people who aren't aware. It may pay to do some minor alterations to the weapons themselves. If you were to chop off the multimelta barrels and use some tubing in a creative way, it may alter the weapon enough so that it could warrant 'counts as'.

I know when i first made my noise marine 'counts as' i used solid slug weapons to represent the blastmasters and sonic blasters.

Sonic blaster

gallery_31335_1757_14392.jpg

Blastmaster

gallery_31335_1757_9030.jpg

These were appropriate 'counts as' because the weapon systems shared very few similarities with any other system.The "sonic blaster" and "blastmaster" were, at the time, the only weapons that looked like this in my army. A good rule to follow for 'counts as' is that all of the proxied wargear should look the same across the board.

Ex: 8 sonic blasters = 8 Saw bolters

1 blastmaster = 1 reaper AC conversion.

Since the days of noise marines i've folded these guys into a havoc squad. I made 3 more autocannons just like my first blastmaster and all of the other marines have custom bolters. Since i've done that i can't use the autocannon as my 'CA' blastmaster anymore. I'm sure you're aware of all this Minigun but it pays to get it written for anyone who's hazy on the idea.

Just ask a guy who has a load of slugga boyz from the ork unit if he has a load of shootas left over for you to use.

You snip the tip, cut off the barrel&drum (depending which one you pick, I personally prefer the drum shoota). Then carve down some parts, and voila, you have the basis to make a sonic blaster. I find cutting solder wire in half and lining them across both sides makes a convincing meltagun with them. And of course some solder wire at the tip carved like a melta, not that hard. I use ork weapons a ton for my autocannons(held like bolters), meltaguns and plasma guns.

Alot of good ideas on the conversions but I have to admit that I don't have the skill or patience to do most of this kind of work. Its the same reason I don't like working with Metal, its added complexity to something that is already time consuming.

My hope was that a simple weapon swap would be a cheap/painless way of getting the point across and at least to my eyes, the PC looks alot like an oversized Sonic Blaster to me .

I might have to put my plans on doing an EC/NM army on hold until they get around to redoing the bits.

for sonics......

1. cut the barrel and front upto the ejection port and magazine/bullet belt off a bolter

2. cut the front (from where the wires go up at an angle and merge into one) from the zerker plasma pistols.

3. glue the two together

4. file or cut the circle from the barrel end of the plasma part so it's flush.

5. drill two holes at the front and carefully cut the middle section out so it looks like one oblong hole

6. guitar wire from where the magazine was to the NM backpack.

7. tidy up with a bit of green stuff, add hanging chaosy type stuff as required!

wish i had my camera here to post a pic but trust me it looks very cool, when i get it back i'd do a wee tutorial :lol:

i've never made a blastmaster the same way but if you cut just the barrel off or added a section from another bolter and use the same process so that it looks longer and added a scope or something i reckon that would work fine.

hope you give it a bash to see what it looks like.

Archived