Forge World Dreadnoughts

A D-B

Apologies in advance for the dumbness of this query, but I've never seen a FW dreadnought in the flesh, so to speak.

Some of the FW dreads look killer (Thousand Sons, Iron Warriors, World Eaters), while I think others suffer a little due to their heads (Word Bearers, Black Legion and Night Lords). Overall, I'm a fan of sarcophagi rather than the little guy's head peeping out in recent loyalist dreadnoughts ("Hey, dudes! Hey!"), because a walking coffin with weapons has always felt cooler to me than what is effectively a robo-suit. But in all seriousness, I'm tempted to hurl some cash at FW soon, but I need to know how easy it is to convert the 'heads' on those dreads.

Are they easily replaced by Chaos Marine helmets, or a sarcophagus cover? Are they pretty much to the same scale? I know it's all 28mm, but stuff doesn't always match up all that well.

Thanks for any advice, guys 'n gals.

I haven't seen one live either, but judging from the pictures (Iron Warriors Dread, World Eaters Dread) it seems that the whole torso is one single piece. Well, the back might be removable. Even if the heads are an extra piece, there is some cutting and filing to do if you wanted to add a flat "sarcophagus" cover at the center. But at least with the new Death Guard Dreadnought (as seen here) the head is not extra but part of the torso bit as well, making it even harder to replace.

The heads on the Forgeworld Dreadnoughts seem to be quite a bit larger than regular Chaos Marine helmets, so they will probably not just be replaceable with CSM heads either way.

I can confirm that the FW Dread heads are a separate piece and thus replaceable during construction.

The heads are also a lot bigger than regular marine helmets and personally I quite like them due to all the cables and such.

Here is a close-up shot of mine (with added horrible flash): link. Notice the aforementioned cables sticking out.

Due to the way the 'cowl' is made it won't be easy to convert it into a sarcophagus. However with proper pinning and maybe a little cutting etc. the Forgeworld SM Dreadnought Torsos might fit. This would require buying two kits however (£££).

Can anyone confirm/deny whether the Black Reach dread torso can go on a pair of FW Dread legs?

I can confirm that the FW Dread heads are a separate piece and thus replaceable during construction.

The heads are also a lot bigger than regular marine helmets and personally I quite like them due to all the cables and such.

Here is a close-up shot of mine (with added horrible flash): link. Notice the aforementioned cables sticking out.

Due to the way the 'cowl' is made it won't be easy to convert it into a sarcophagus. However with proper pinning and maybe a little cutting etc. the Forgeworld SM Dreadnought Torsos might fit. This would require buying two kits however (£££).

Can anyone confirm/deny whether the Black Reach dread torso can go on a pair of FW Dread legs?

it comes as two parts, back and front, but a GW dread torso will go on a FW set of legs, if you do some cutting to make the parts line up. the main issue is that the bottom of the FW torso is the same piece in dread anatomy as the top of a pair of GW dread legs. cut out one part, and you can make a fit pretty easily.

it comes as two parts, back and front, but a GW dread torso will go on a FW set of legs, if you do some cutting to make the parts line up. the main issue is that the bottom of the FW torso is the same piece in dread anatomy as the top of a pair of GW dread legs. cut out one part, and you can make a fit pretty easily.

@A D-B:

Perhaps you could use an Imperial 'sarcophagus' dreadnought torso (either a plastic one or one of the Forge World variants) and add Chaos Dreadnought weapon arms? You could probably cut, file or use green stuff to remove Imperial icons on the torso.

Might be less difficult than trying to fit a sarcophagus front onto a Chaos torso.

Archived