Valkyrie + Flat out + Wrecked =

Seahawk

Take the following scenario:

A valkyrie transporting a unit moves flat out during it's turn, let's say 24" because we can.

A unit kills it with a Destroyed - Wrecked result. Passengers must immediately disembark. Flipping to the page about moving over 12", says passengers cannot disembark. Back to the wrecked transport bit and it says they are then destroyed - but wait! The valkyrie's special rule reads thusly:

"If the Valkryie has moved flat out, passengers may still disembark, but they must do so as follows. Nominate any point over which the Valkyrie moved over and deploy the squad as if it were deep striking onto that point."

Would this mean that in the above scenario, the now forcibly disembarked unit can drop on any point on the valkyrie's previous path instead of dying? As it is printed I think so, as it doesn't break any rules. It is also fluffy when the pilot yells "RPG! Bail out!"

Discuss.

Take the following scenario:

A valkyrie transporting a unit moves flat out during it's turn, let's say 24" because we can.

A unit kills it with a Destroyed - Wrecked result. Passengers must immediately disembark. Flipping to the page about moving over 12", says passengers cannot disembark. Back to the wrecked transport bit and it says they are then destroyed - but wait! The valkyrie's special rule reads thusly:

"If the Valkryie has moved flat out, passengers may still disembark, but they must do so as follows. Nominate any point over which the Valkyrie moved over and deploy the squad as if it were deep striking onto that point."

Would this mean that in the above scenario, the now forcibly disembarked unit can drop on any point on the valkyrie's previous path instead of dying? As it is printed I think so, as it doesn't break any rules. It is also fluffy when the pilot yells "RPG! Bail out!"

Discuss.

I like the way you think! Without looking more in-depth in the rules... In a friendly game I would be like Awwwwwwwwwww yer... because of the rule of cool!

I realise that isn't helpful...

Im thinking the codex rules on the valkyrie trumps generic BRB rules on this subject (codex always trumps BRB).

However emergency disembarkation is different to regular disembarkation, and since the valkyrie doesnt cover this, we have to use generic BRB rules which state the 2" rule and pinning etc.

Thats how i see it anyways

The passengers disembarking at a point over which the Valkyrie moved happens as a voluntary move during the owning player's Movement phase.

Since the wrecking is not occuring during that phase, you can't use it as a valid option to avoid losing the unit when it crashes.

One problem.

BRB pg.70

"Passengers may not embark onto or disembark from a fast vechicle if it has moved (....) Flat Out in that Movement phase."

The passengers in your example are no longer in their movement phase and can disembark normally.

I still feel that the passengers aboard a speeder that is Wrecked are destroyed as per the rules.

The Valkyrie gives an exception to the quoted rule on p70 of the BRB, NOT an exception to the rule for Wrecked speeders moving Flat Out.

Its not disembarking though, its emergency disembarking.. as i said in my previous post, we just have to use standard rules for that, we dont use valkyrie special rules and rules for disembarking in the BRB are for thier movement phase only as mentioned above.

Well, the disembark rule is worded to take place only on the controlling player's turn; anything else is not covered. The valkyrie's rule is not specified only to the controller's turn, and so should be able to use anytime. Even the wording in it can stretch over both player turns without a problem.

Its not disembarking though, its emergency disembarking
It's not "emergency disembarking" until the vehicle's access points are blocked. Re-read the transport pages if ye don't believe meh :)

Archived