Tank Squadrons and Tank Shocking

Seahawk

Here's another unfortunate Imperial Guard scenario that came up recently. It's simply something GW did not consider when writing the codex (oh imagine that...).

Squadron of three hellhounds (or any other tank for that matter) tank shocks a unit. Say they pass their Leadership test. What happens next? First, can all three tanks move through the same section of enemy unit, provided there's room enough at the end of their move to fit?

Second, if, for some stupid reason, all three tanks move at a dude carrying a meltagun and I choose to death or glory, what happens? Does one guy get to make three death or glories (one for each vehicle), do they happen at the same time (as all moving done by a unit is simultaneous), or is it done one at a time, or does he only get one shot then dies as two more tanks run over him?

Hmmm. Good one. I'd handle every instance of a Tank Shock as a separate Tank Shock for the purposes of Death or Glory attacks. There is after all no guarantee that they will only Tank Shock one unit.

Well, as a squadron they are a single unit. Let's assume they tank shock a single opposing enemy unit...now it gets tricky enough without involving more units. Does tank shock occur on a unit by unit basis, or model by model? Would a squadron of three tanks force three Tank Shock tests, or just one because they are a single unit? Next, could a single dude with a meltagun that happens to be in the path of two of the vehicles be allowed to Death or Glory both of them, or just one?

There's no actual requirement that the model performing the D&G attack has to be in the path of the tank AFAICR. However, I'd have issue with a single model making multiple D&G attacks, if only because of potential deaths.

Pg 69: "If a unit...passes its Morale test, one of its models in the vehicle's path can stand and attempt to destroy it..."

So if you're cunnin' enough, you can simply avoid the killer trooper with your own tank shocks and hit only weak dudes.

Reading through the various sections, it looks to me like you resolve each tank shock one at a time, despite being a unit, as you move the vehicles one at a time. This could be wrong, but I'd need a different eye to point it out. Provided the unit then passes its three Morale tests (as it's three different TSs I think) then each time that one melta-dude could try to melt each tank (provided the enemy drove over him, stupidly enough). If he dies (which would be difficult; auto-hit, easy penetrate, 3+ to kill the tank) then obviously he can make no more.

Oh, and not to sidetrack my own topic (okay yes I am) but how about skimmers and tank shocking? Could my Falcon fly over an enemy tank to tank shock the two units of IG behind it? As skimmers can ignore/fly over enemy models at a whim, I'm not sure.

i wuold say no, as you need to aim a the unit and skimmers would need to fly low to present a threat. the idea of it jumping over the tank and then dropping to ground level before zooming straight at my guys doesn't sit right with me, but thats just me.

Archived