Thinking of starting a casual Chaos army...

FlamingDeth

Hello, traitors! Apologies in advance if I start to ramble. As it happens, I've been feeling a bit of a calling from the Ruinous Powers lately, and have slowly (on a glacial scale) begun to assemble an army of Chaos. Said army is nominally Tzeentch-aligned, which in this case means no marks except Tzeentch and Chaos Glory, and lots of the number 9. As with my normal Space Marine army (and Ork army for that matter) I'm going to be making way too many HQs, one of which will be a counts-as Huron Blackheart.

Now, I've run a search or five, and while there's plenty of threads that mention Huron, but none that really discuss how to use him effectively. I know I like his stats. He's like a Lord but better, he's got warptime + flamer + power weapon for slaughtering infantry wholesale, while warptime + power fist seems like it'd put the hurt even on the likes of Wraithlords, and most importantly, the gear he has seems like he'd be a fun guy to model. I just don't know how to effectively use him. What squads does he like to run with? What targets does he normally attack? How is he best supported?

For reference, the things I KNOW I'm going to make (but not necessarily use) are as follows: Counts-as Huron Blackheart, Sorcerer on disc, daemon prince of Tzeentch, terminator lord with mark of Tzeentch and daemon weapon, a pile of obliterators, at least one squad of Chosen, at least one squad of counts-as Thousand Sons, at least one squad of regular CSM, a CC dreadnought. Obviously I won't be using that all in the same list, and I'm sure I'll make more than that, but hopefully any list I use will include at least some of that.

Theoretically, and everything is up in the air here, this is what I'm looking to start with in a 1500 point list.

1499/1500

HQ:

Huron Blackheart

Troops:

2x Thousand Sons (8) and Aspiring Sorcerer with Doombolt, Rhino

Chaos Marines (9) with flamer, champion with fist, icon of Chaos Glory, Rhino

Elite:

Chosen (7), icon of Chaos Glory, meltaguns (5), meltabombs (2), Rhino

Heavy:

2x2 Obliterators

Like I said, the only thing that's set in stone is that the only marks around will be Tzeentch and Chaos Glory. I'm not looking to make something that'll win tournaments, I've got my codex Space Marines for that. Chaos is primarily a modeling and painting project, though it would be nice to win friendly games once in a while.

General tactics for this list would be to stay back out of line of sight first turn (or even bring everything in from reserves, if needed) so as not to get shot to pieces. Obliterators blow up what they can, or at least shake what they can. As soon as possible, Chosen outflank and try to start messing up the back lines with copious amounts of melta fire. Once they show up, it's all sorts of rapid fire doom, with Huron and friends serving as an assault/counter-assault unit as needed. Weaknesses are probably obvious. Low model count and lack of target saturation for the armor means that if they've got LoS on any of the rhinos they're probably toast. Someone concerned about anti-vehicle, but hopefully the meltas and obliterators can hold up that front.

So, sticking with the small guidelines mentioned, how would the list be improved? What should be switched out, changed, or should I just start with an entirely different list? How should that army, or one that vaguely resembles it be played?

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong spot, I just figured that since it's not all Tzeentch it didn't belong in the Tzeentch forum, and since it's at least as much tactics as army list that it didn't go in the army list forum. Seemed like the best place for it.

5 meltagun chosen is overkill, scratch one and put it on the CSM. I'd just scratch Huron alll together and get a cheaper and effective lord with a Daemon weapon or dual lightning claws. You might then have enough points to put bolt of tzeench on the thousand sons for more anti tank. As to the lack of armor saturation, you could just use rhinos as mobile cover. And you deffiently want to shoot with your obliterators first turn.

On second glance I missed the part about a Tzeench daemon prince. Use him instead (with wings of course) and buff the CSM squad to 10. I wouldn't actually put MoT on him, but you can run with Warptime+Doombolt or Warptime+Wind of Chaos and wings but that gets up there pointwise.

Archived