How would you work over this unit?

ShinyRhino

The best counter for seer council jetbikes is this:

Allied Grey Knight Brother Captain (Psychic Hood, Incinerator) - 101

Incinerators ignore cover and invulnerable saves, STR 5/AP 4. It will kill every jetbike it touches on a 3+. Plus Psychic Hood defense against the Farseer. And you have base 3 attacks at WS 5 with a Relic Blade.

The look on the guys face the first time you hit the seer council with the incinerator will be worth the price of the model (and Grey Knight Terminator models are the best model in 40K IMHO.)

Negatory- eldar jetbikes grant a 3+ save as per normal, wich theyd still be allowed to reroll unless you got your hood off.

Thunderfire, while it can't take much fire, it can slow down the seer council considerably by using its subterranean shells, which'll mean they can't turbo-boost and if they move (in the Movement phase, not the Assault move), any model dies on a 1, no save or re-roll at all, save for the farseer. It'll limit their movement in the beginning stages as well as kill off a model or so the first turns.

Seriously, 99% of the issues people have with eldar are simply a lack of knowledge of their *admittedly unusual* rules. Im sure your opponent as, most likely, simply either remembering the previous codex *where they were a retinue* or misunderstood "are a single HQ choice" and supposed it meant they were 1 unit.

Yeah. Nothing is more infuriating for a new player (myself included) than showing up for a game, and having all kinds of crazy tricks being pulled out of the hat on you. I did my best to explain to the newbies exactly what my partner was rolling for, how it worked, and why it worked that way.

So, just to be clear, there's nothing in the Eldar Codex that states that the Farseer cannot leave his Warlocks unit, right? That seems to be the defining feature of a Fifth Edition "Retinue".

Seriously, 99% of the issues people have with eldar are simply a lack of knowledge of their *admittedly unusual* rules. Im sure your opponent as, most likely, simply either remembering the previous codex *where they were a retinue* or misunderstood "are a single HQ choice" and supposed it meant they were 1 unit.

Yeah. Nothing is more infuriating for a new player (myself included) than showing up for a game, and having all kinds of crazy tricks being pulled out of the hat on you. I did my best to explain to the newbies exactly what my partner was rolling for, how it worked, and why it worked that way.

So, just to be clear, there's nothing in the Eldar Codex that states that the Farseer cannot leave his Warlocks unit, right? That seems to be the defining feature of a Fifth Edition "Retinue".

You are correct- I gave you the relevant page numbers earlier in the thread so you can see for yourself. There is nothing anywhere to imply that they are a retinue, save for the "are a single hq choice" comment, wich simply means that the warlocks dont take up a slot- much like IG infantry plattoons can be of the same slot, but a different unit, than IG special weapon teams.

You are correct- I gave you the relevant page numbers earlier in the thread so you can see for yourself. There is nothing anywhere to imply that they are a retinue, save for the "are a single hq choice" comment, wich simply means that the warlocks dont take up a slot- much like IG infantry plattoons can be of the same slot, but a different unit, than IG special weapon teams.

Thanks again for the help. I don't own the Eldar Codex yet, so I wasn't able to look up the page numbers, but I did see them and can now use them during the resulting debate. :D

Archived