FW Showcase Space Marine conversion

Replica

G'day,

Some of you may remember my Inquisitor scale Blood Angels, well this time ive gone with the huge 1:15 scale space marine from Forge World. First off, this model is fantastic! The detail is amazing and it really shows a familiar character from 40k in a new light. Some people dont like the original pose but i love it. Ive even ordered another one to do straight out of the box cause its great. Im going to be converting him into a Blood Angels Chaplain.

I found it pretty hard to find info on this model, of course theres the 'Giganticdark' Ultramarine on the CMON forums as well as afew others but not a whole lot of wip's or images of the parts that make up the model. If anyone would like a pic of any particular part let me know and i'll post one.

First up ive got some pics of the main areas of conversion:

This is the torso, hopefully you can see the abdomen section is really short, which isnt a big deal when the bolter is covering it but i intend this model to be a bit more open so im going to need to lengthen it a bit and add some more chaplain specific details, like skulls.

gallery_49031_4701_73373.jpg

I personally love these legs how they are, but i intend this to be a complete overhaul so they will need to be changed.

gallery_49031_4701_114177.jpg

Heres some pics of the feet and the arms, there will be changed significantly also, just thought some people might like to see how this model looks before the hack saw treatment

gallery_49031_4701_154294.jpg

Im thinking about using a bare head, but i might end up going with the helmet, just gotta make it look more like a skull.

This is gonna be a very time consuming build, and im gonna post pics every time i make some kind of headway, but if theres anything anyone would like to see im particular then let me know. As i said, i had trouble finding info on this guy, aside from 3 or 4 others.

C&C Welcome, as well as any ideas you might have!

Thanks,

Replica

Wow. I wish I could afford to buy just one of those..... and you're buying another one. I'll be watching this thread, it's a great 'mini' to start with. Having seen how well you've converted the Artemis 54mm mini I have no doubts this one will exceed all expectations. Now please excuse me while I go and seethe with jealousy in the corner....

James

I'm looking forward to seeing what your going to do with this

Your work on Artemis was awsome

I have a question though, I have one of these myself and the quality of some of the parts was pretty crap

Mould lines is one thing, but the back pack looked like it had been assembled in two halfs, stuck together, but out of alignment :lol:

Basicaly, what kind of condition are the parts of your marine like?

I always thought that FW model was metal, or am I thinking of a different model? Haha.

FW stuff is resin, the metal model you might be thinking of is artemis from inquisitor

Topic tracked !

I'll love to see what is going to happen to this big guy :)

I have an Artemis to paint, in Blood Angels colors, your work is inspiring !

G'day,

Sorry its taken me a little while to update, been really busy but im making some headway! Thanks everyone for your encouraging words!

mikhail, I forgot to do a comparative photo before the hacksaw, so i cant really get him back together just yet so i took this comparative pic of back packs, hopefully it helps, this guy is much, much larger than a standard marine, in fact the helmet is around the same size as a 28mm marine.

gallery_49031_4701_132343.jpg

Next up is a pic of the base and the wooden base i intend to mount him on. I think i will just cut off the details i want and make a whole new base, or i might just file the resin base flat and extend it out, not sure yet...

gallery_49031_4701_122243.jpg

Here is the bolter, it was damaged when i got it so i patched it up and now i just have to smooth over the gaps, however i think i might end up changing the scope, i don't like the idea of a marine having to take a bolter up to his eye to look through the scope. Despite the face that its almost impossible for a marine in power armor to physically get it to hie eye without turning it on its side, its just not sci-fi enough. In the end im leaning towards something like Artemis's deathwatch bolter with the scope looking integrated into the armor via cables etc.

gallery_49031_4701_12977.jpg

Lastly, this is the extended chest piece. The abdomen is plasticard and the cables are paperclip with wire wound around them but you could just as easily use guitar string. The bug skull is from the kit, meant for the back pack (strangely the detail components i got were metal, not resin, but is is a VERY old run of this model) and the skull on the chest is a resin one i had laying around. The chest will get more details as i go along but this is just a quick update

gallery_49031_4701_15022.jpg

Thanks again everyone, and sorry it took so long to get these up, i hope to have more in 2 or 3 days, got a bit of free time coming up!

Thanks,

Replica

A very ambitious project- and it's off to a great start. Looking forward to what you do next, provided there are pics of course

Are you going to be adding any detail to the leg greaves? they seem a bit...bland for a chaplain

whenever one of these projects comes along i have a craving to get one ='( but too expensive for a meer college student like myself

Replica you have inspired me and so the other day I bought one of these myself, just waiting for it to arrive!

I like your ideas and think it will look great when finished.

In the first picture though, the one with the backpacks, where is that 'sideshow' one from? :D

sideshow made a bunch of space marine statues, from most of the main chapters i think they made 8, may have been more

heres at least some of them

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/space_marines/history.html

This is shaping up to be one impressive looking conversion - and one I shall be following closely!

Any chance of a link to what the original model looks like before conversion - just so that we can see a comparison.

This is shaping up to be one impressive looking conversion - and one I shall be following closely!

Any chance of a link to what the original model looks like before conversion - just so that we can see a comparison.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/scmarine.htm

Thanks for the link. I didn't think they were still producing that model. I wish I had your job though - that way I might be able to afford just one of those!

Ferrus Manus Posted Mar 27 2010, 11:34 PM

It's looking good. I must say, your brave attempting to convert something that expensive. Good luck smile.gif

Thanks mate, i have a back up if i screw this up badly!

The_Chaplain Posted Mar 28 2010, 12:49 AM

A very ambitious project- and it's off to a great start. Looking forward to what you do next, provided there are pics of course

Are you going to be adding any detail to the leg greaves? they seem a bit...bland for a chaplain

Yeah, im still working on the pose before i get into the detailing. Im still a bit undecided how much detail im going to sculpt and how much im going to paint. Im going to go for the classic chaplain legs, like cassius here: http://www.critical-hits.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/cassius.jpg

but i might paint on the pattern, as though its a gold inlay instead of extra plating.

Cosmic castaway Posted Mar 28 2010, 01:12 AM

Replica you have inspired me and so the other day I bought one of these myself, just waiting for it to arrive!

I like your ideas and think it will look great when finished.

In the first picture though, the one with the backpacks, where is that 'sideshow' one from? huh.gif

Glad to hear it! its such a great model! Yeah, as wiplash said, there were some polystone models made. I think they are just casts of the 3-ups. They are pretty much just the 28mm models made larger so the detail is...not great. I have two and frankly i hate them.

wiplash Posted Mar 28 2010, 01:50 AM

whenever one of these projects comes along i have a craving to get one ='( but too expensive for a meer college student like myself

Lestat Posted Yesterday, 01:34 AM

Thanks for the link. I didn't think they were still producing that model. I wish I had your job though - that way I might be able to afford just one of those!

yeah, these guys are pretty pricey, and i certainly held my breath when i made the first cut with the hacksaw!

Thanks for all the interest in this guys, certainly keeps me inspired to make this model soothing really special and also keeps me reminded to take pics!

More pics coming very soon!

Thanks,

Replica

Okay, so heres some more pics of how this guy is going. Got the bolter finished, aside from some small details i might wish to add later. I decided to go for more of the deathwatch style bolter. However, now that ive finalized the pose i thing the bolter might look too big so im going to be converting up the bolt pistol to take the scope if need be, wont know until the arms are finished :confused:

gallery_49031_4701_42139.jpg

Heres a pic of the legs, from the back. At the moment there are no knee-pads, and you cant really tell there the conversion work has been done from the front so i thought this might be more interesting. When the knee-pads are dont i'll put up another on of the front with the torso on it, then i can take some scale shots for those interested.

gallery_49031_4701_9585.jpg

Here is the helmet. This one is the third attempt, the other two looked more like skulls than the classic helmet and i really didnt want to loose that readily identifiable SM helmet shape. I might not even use the helmet at all, ive got a nice sized bare head im contemplating, but the skull helm is one of the most important pieces of chaplain wargear.

gallery_49031_4701_15080.jpg

Any thoughts or opinions welcome, always happy to hear suggestions!

thanks for looking, more pics very soon!

Replica

Wow can't wait to see this finished. Looks like an awesome mini! But what part of the FW site is he on now because they have a new format and when I clicked the link it said 404 error. Can anyone help?

yep, here ya go: HERE

they changed the site around, theres no pic of it at this point though, so heres a pic of the unconverted model from the box art:

gallery_49031_4701_11744.jpg

and this is a pic of the actual components i received. This pic was sent to me after i won the ebay auction.

gallery_49031_4701_68358.jpg

hope that helps!

Replica

• 2 weeks later...

Archived