FW Showcase Space Marine conversion

Replica

Why don't you make a copy of the helmet and hollow one out, make one a skull, etc. It's your model now and as long as you don't sell them it should be ok. The process is extremely simple and allows for endless modeling possibilities. I also would like to add that I like the conversion thus far and the crozius looks very nice. The poly stone head looks good on him as well.

yeah, what would you suggest as the best way to make a copy of the helmet? I have done a little copying using green stuff and magic sculpt etc, but nothing like a whole helmet.

I use a complete kit from alumalite. It has every thing you need to make two piece molds and the resin to cast. Here's a link. Pm me if you have any questions. http://www.alumilite.com/

wow, what a great site! everything you could need! im certainly going to take your advice mate, might end up with 4 or 5 helmets!

He looks better with the helmet. Also, you realise a Chaplain isn't a Chaplain without a tabard? :P

haha, cheers, yeah, i considered a tabard, what do you reckon would look better, a loincloth thing or something across the chest?

A loincloth... anything more could detract from the other details.

yeah, you might be onto somthing there, i really dig the jump pack chaplain, and the Terminator Chaplain model's loincloth/script, love the length

hmmmmmmmm

This is looking really, really good now - especially the pic where we get to see what the finished article looks like. Will you be putting the crozius at an angle so that it's gesturing? As i

'See them over there? Go kill them.'

Bit like the commander power sword arm from the commander box, that kind of pose if not quite as sharp an angle,

• 1 month later...

BACK!

okay, well, i said i wouldnt do a painting WIP, and i wont, so im not to get into too much detail, unless someone asks a question, then im happy to answer!

Firstly, here are the legs and shoulder pads, masked off prior to receiving a spray of 'space wolves gray'. These are the areas that will get the most freehand and i like to do it over a light colour, instead of black.

gallery_49031_4701_65295.jpg

And here is the base, modeling completed just before getting undercoated. I pretty much used the original base, just hacked up and gaps filled in. He will have on foot on each pillar chunk. I was thinking perhaps chaplains would be trained in finding make-shift podiums mid-battle. I also used a 1:15 scale skull, but its slightly out of focus in this pic.

gallery_49031_4701_22641.jpg

as i said, this isnt gonna turn into a painting WIP, just gonna keep everyone up-to-date with how this project is going, because its not dead yet, so im gonna keep this thread alive!!

C&C welcome!

Thanks for looking!

Replica

you should turn it into a little censor grenade or something.

Oh, its the right scale for a normal human's skull, looks smaller in the pic. You get a little skull in the kit (well i did in the first one, not in the second B) ) but the one with the kit looks to be a marine sized skull, not a whole lot bigger, but its noticeable. I have a couple of other skulls of normal human scale, and i was considering of making a servo skull out of one, perhaps with a pen, taking notes of the chaplains more memorable speeches?

Cosmic castaway Posted Yesterday, 07:23 PM

Well you've made headway on this I see Replica, well done, after finishing mine I have a huge respect for you cutting this marine into pieces! ohmy.gif

Cannot wait to see what he looks like finished

Thanks mate, love what you have done with it, its a great model! I didn't take the hack saw to it lightly, certainly had a few "why am i doing this" moments!

High Marshal Sigfeird Posted Today, 03:53 AM

Really loving this thread Replica, you given me inspiration to give this a go myself when i have some money (lol), and when im free from my truescale angels and regular BA.

Amazing stuff you've proven yet again anything is possible!.

Thanks a lot! I recommend this model for anyone with the confidence, its such a nice model straight out of the box (bag?)

Theres been a few comments on the cost of the marine, but since im not much of a gamer i figure its around the cost of 2 Tactical squads, a commander and a Rhino, and if you spend the same amount of time on it as you would that small force then its gonna come out as a really nice display piece.

Heres a quick update:

This is a pic of the extremely raw beginnings of the freehand. The bottom of the grail doesn't line up with the bottom of the greave because i lined it up with the knee, but that will be easy to fix.

gallery_49031_4701_23575.jpg

For this model, i wanted to have two themes going up the two sides of the chaplain to coincide with the two symbols on the shoulder pads. I wanted to show the dual roles of the chaplain within the blood angels. On one hand they are the pure warrior-priests of the chapter, proud and beautiful. But under it all is their 'guardians of the lost' role, and their close dealings with their devastating flaw. The left side of the chaplain, with the chapter icon will have a golden deathmask with gold wings on the greave, while the right side will have a grey and white skull emblazoned grail with white wings.

sorry to bore you with the long winded explanation, just hope its noticeable when the model is completed!

thanks for looking!

C&C Welcome!

~Replica

High Marshal Sigfeird Posted Jun 9 2010, 12:22 AM

At but the method behind it works though Replica, i think when this model is done it will emblazon the duel role of a chaplain within our order of battle brothers!, loving the free hand though more inspiration for me!.

Thanks mate! glad you like :P

Here is an update of the legs. The two greaves are not quiiiiiiiite done, but they are close, just need to add weathering. I want it to look like the chaplain has been at the forefront of battle for months on end, moving from battle line to battle line where ever a little extra inspiration is needed! But i also want it to look like its well taken care of in the chaplains limited spare time. To do this there will be a fair bit of 'recent' looking dust and mud, but limited paint chipping.

I also added the skeleton toes, something I thought really stood out on the new Lemartes

gallery_49031_4701_83769.jpg

thanks for looking!

~Replica

Calgar 2.0 Posted Yesterday, 04:11 PM

Oh. My. God, that is beautiful paint work my good sir.

Cheers! i wanted it to look like work of art that is worn into battle!

mikhail Posted Today, 01:20 AM

Looking fantastic so far. Did you get the stuff to make more helmets?

Sure did! thanks heaps for that, i grabbed the small starter kit and from that i was able to make 2 moulds of the helmet and cast up around 5, dome good some not so good. I hollowed one out and tried to get it to fit on the bare head, but i will need to shave about 1mm from the nose and take off the bionic eye, so i dont think im going to do it in the end. But on the plus side, i do have a bunch of helmets to play with, might give some away too :ph34r:

High Marshal Sigfeird Posted Today, 04:15 AM

Very few words come to mind, aside from one.....AWESOME!.

Thanks mate! appreciate the compliments!

Hmmm, and what would one have to do to qualify for a 'giant space maine helmet'?

The model is startig to shape up really well, I liked the look of the conversion work you've carried out, and the paintwork seems to be coming along nicely as well. I think the skeletal toes are a nice personalising touch.

James

Okay, time for an update,

here we have the freehand on the shoulder pads complete. I wanted this guy to have some Death Company markings on him, because i find the very striking, and things like that really set the blood angels chaplains apart from other chapters.

First up here is the skull and the red 'X'. This skull has had mixed reactions, some like it, some dont. Originally there was a more realistic looking skull but it reminded me less of a chaplain symbol and more of the Revilers chapter symbol or one of the command symbols from the 'Insignum Astartes' so i stylized it a little and now im happy with it. The eyes need one more coat of black, they look a little patchy in this pic cause its watered down heavily as i was still working on the shape.

gallery_49031_4701_53445.jpg

Here is the Chapter Symbol. I decided to leave all skulls and Death Company symbols off this pad as i wanted to continue the idea of purity and focus on the 'angelic' side of the Blood Angels psyche. If it weren't for the damn flash you'd be able to see the NMM a little better, i decided that i would use it for the paintings on the armor, but i would use metallics for parts that i intended to be actual metal. This is the Crozius arm, and as such i wanted any blood splatter to focus on this side of the model, more practicality than symbolism, although you could draw some meanings out of it. This splatter was done with a mix of black, red and sepia inks, with about 3 parts of 'ard coat, then dabbed on using the foam from a blister pack.

gallery_49031_4701_49724.jpg

note: These pics were taken during a test fit in order to make sure you could see the two symbols well, so you can see the backpack vents slightly in the corners.

Cheers,

Replica

Archived