FW Showcase Space Marine conversion

Replica

After scraping my jaw back up off of my keyboard I have to say that those shoulder pads look amazing. The DC side's skull looks just right and I think a little stylisation fits well with the BA's artistic side. The chapter symbol, paint chipping and blood spatter is spot on as well.

Keep up the great work

James

Must say that is some of the Best free-hand i have ever seen ;) The conversion work and time you have put into this model is immense and im glad you made the chaplain look as awesome has he is supposed to be :) Cannot wait for the finished piece, good luck. Brother

Cs

High Marshal Sigfeird Posted Jun 14 2010, 04:36 AM

Amazing standard as always Replica O_o blow my mind with your awesome freehandiness !!!.

really awesome god im so so tempted to get one of these and do somthing similar.

Thanks mate, i highly recommend this model to anyone who enjoys the challenge and gets into the modeling/painting aspect of the hobby.

Pig Of Sparta Posted Jun 14 2010, 07:29 AM

After scraping my jaw back up off of my keyboard I have to say that those shoulder pads look amazing. The DC side's skull looks just right and I think a little stylisation fits well with the BA's artistic side. The chapter symbol, paint chipping and blood spatter is spot on as well.

Keep up the great work

James

Cheers, i like the skull too, i think it looks like a piece of art as well as a symbol.

Saevus Secutor Posted Jun 15 2010, 03:36 AM

Great Work! Dying to see the finished model...

Haha, not long now mate :rolleyes:

Chaplain-Skylax Posted Yesterday, 03:34 AM

Must say that is some of the Best free-hand i have ever seen msn-wink.gif The conversion work and time you have put into this model is immense and im glad you made the chaplain look as awesome has he is supposed to be smile.gif Cannot wait for the finished piece, good luck. Brother

Cs

Thanks, I appreciate the compliments, when i started this project i had no idea what the finished model would look like, or how long it would take and so far ive been surprised by both!

Thanks for looking, and a big thank you to all those who took time to post, greatly appreciated!

Here is some more pics of how everything is coming along. First up here is the finished base. Its made from very cheep wood, and so i tried sanding down the edges and layering some PVA to try to get them smooth but the effect is limited, not as good as i was hoping but i don't think it will take away from the miniature.

gallery_49031_4701_99061.jpg

Here is the back pack, before weathering. I will keep the weathering to a minimum on the pack after a discussion with a friend of mine we determined that the back pack (being one of, if not the most important aspect of the armor) would receive A LOT of attention both in the field and by the adepts once back on the starship and i would imagine it would also get a lot of embellishments to please the machine god and keep it from malfunctioning.

gallery_49031_4701_36530.jpg

And finally this is the direction im planning with the bolt pistol. Im gonna use metallics with NMM style shading. The first time i painted it i kept the casing black with a gold inlay effect but it was just too much black and in my opinion didn't look 'master crafted' enough, so i decided to go with the all gold treatment.

gallery_49031_4701_8890.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment, much appreciated!

~ Replica

This project is very quickly coming to a close, the majority of the large areas are done and all that's left is a little detail work and the heads.

Here is the completed bolt pistol, with the NMM shading style using metallic paints. While im sure im not the first to do it, i haven't ever seen it done. I did it by simply mixing various metallics with non metallic paint. I think it looks a little more complicated than it really is...

gallery_49031_4701_38350.jpg

Here is the chest, about 90% done. Just need to finish the skull between the wings, touch up the black, weather it and add some blood splatter. I used the same metallic technique on here as the bolt pistol. The Rosarius is the Crozius from the Terminator Chaplain model.

gallery_49031_4701_57870.jpg

There is not a whole lot left for this model, maybe a week or so more and i hope to have a completed model to show!

C&C always welcome!

Thanks for looking!

~Replica

High Marshal Sigfeird Posted Jun 20 2010, 11:03 PM

OMG....jeeez Replica this is stunning work here is that NMM work there? it looks it too me my lord... stunning stuff.

I still want to try this myself i cant compare to this but i wanna give it a go, still loving this model !!

Yep, i used the NMM shading style using metallic paints. Its a great model, and with enough time spent on it anyone can have a really striking display piece!

Brother Kovash Posted Jun 21 2010, 12:07 AM

Wow, the base alone is worthy of its own thread. I can't wait to see this completed. I don't know if I missed it earlier, but be sure to add dozens of purity seals.

Thanks mate, yep, i have made 6 seals to stick around the model. There's some pics of the detail around the waist here and you can see two of them hanging either side of the loin cloth.

Now for the pics!

I couldn't get a pic of the heads that looked decent but i will put a light box together for the 'Hall of Honor' pics once the model is complete. I didn't want to change the recognizable shape of the standard helmet, but it needed to look like a skull. I hope ive found an acceptable middle ground. I wanted the bare head to look battle weary and slightly wounded. I didn't want gaping wounds, or huge rivers of blood gushing down the face, i just wanted a little splatter. Its a really bad pic.

gallery_49031_4701_9279.jpg

Next up is the details around the waist. This model is from the first run. With the first run you got 2 of each grenade in metal, which filled out the area nicely and makes him look well equipped for battle. The loincloth and the paper of the purity seals are made from aluminum cut from a drink can.

gallery_49031_4701_35789.jpg

This model is very close to being done, all i need to do is pin the parts together, mount it on the base and final touch ups. Expect pics of the finised model within the next few days!

Thanks for looking!

Replica

Okay, well here is the completed model! This is certainly the most time consuming project ive ever completed. Almost 6 months from start to finish, granted i only really worked on it 2 or 3 times a week due to work but this model has been sitting on my painting table staring at me for a long, long time!

As you can see he didn't really fit into my light box....gonna need to make a new one for him, but heres the pics that came out pretty good! As i said earlier in the thread (about 4 months ago :P ) this guy has 2 heads options, bare and helmeted. Firstly here is the bare head:

gallery_49031_4701_18178.jpg

gallery_49031_4701_26456.jpg

And the helmet from a few angles:

gallery_49031_4701_87383.jpg

gallery_49031_4701_19416.jpg

gallery_49031_4701_81500.jpg

Im very happy with the results and i feel my personal skill level has benefited from this and i hope i can keep pushing myself to do bigger and better things.

A huge thank you to everyone who posted, commented and looked at this thread, its great to know people are interested and inspired, as well as the great suggestions put forward by this forum and its Space Marine experts! Without all of you this project would have taken much longer and may have even ended up half done on a dusty shelf...

Thanks again everyone,

Replica

This is just wonderful was having kind of a crapy day but this just made up for it. Keep pushing seeing stuff like this only serves to make me want to try more. Thanks ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

An excellent paint job for an excellent conversion. I think the poly stone head really looks better than the original on him. Now get a jump pack converted up and a squad of Death Company marines to accompany him.

I was blessed with the honour of witnessing the deeply thought out free-hand and dedication behind the 6 months it took to bring this Mind blowing Chaplain to life. The end result has left me inspired and given me a new respect for the Model world and the passion behind the hand of the masterpiece created. Keep up the BRILLIANT work :angry:

Archived