Wood predator

GuruD

Being a poor college student I sometimes have to be creative when expanding my army. So here is my WIP predator created from wood. The first step was to sketch out the top and sides of the rhino hull and use a 50 watt laser to engrave the wood.

gallery_4859_4702_251240.jpg

gallery_4859_4702_1295949.jpg

Next I used a bandsaw to cut each of the pieces out.

gallery_4859_4702_1355638.jpg

gallery_4859_4702_760308.jpg

I used a belt sander, a dremel and a file to clean up the pieces.

gallery_4859_4702_399474.jpg

The Laser even did a great job on some of the fine detail work.

gallery_4859_4702_997814.jpg

Here it is as it will be when I assemble it.

gallery_4859_4702_424779.jpg

gallery_4859_4702_196738.jpg

I will try to post more as I go along.

Last time I bought something that had a rhino hull was with the old version so the sides might be a little small. I used the laser at the high school I graduated from years ago. I was really close to the technology teacher after taking 4 classes from him, and so he is fine with me using his laser to work on stuff like this. I am still working on ideas for the turret but I have the pieces for two lascannon sponsons that come with the land raider crusader so I will be using those to finish it up.

Last time I bought something that had a rhino hull was with the old version so the sides might be a little small. I used the laser at the high school I graduated from years ago. I was really close to the technology teacher after taking 4 classes from him, and so he is fine with me using his laser to work on stuff like this. I am still working on ideas for the turret but I have the pieces for two lascannon sponsons that come with the land raider crusader so I will be using those to finish it up.
My wife is a high school science teacher and wants to know where in the world you went to high school. She can't even get paper for photocopies.....let alone a LASER! The predator looks awesome.

I actually just sketched it up in gimp which is a open source program like photoshop. And when it comes to pumping out 6-10 rhinos at once, yes it would be very easy and very cheap. I spent 2 dollars on the wood and got enough for 2 sets of the sides and four main body pieces. So I will probably go spend another dollar to get another scrap of wood that will let me do 2 more sets of sides and have 4 rhino hull based models for 3 dollars.

this is awsomeness. my only concern is the paint job, how are you going to go about stopping the wood looking like.... well, wood when you paint them.

Guessing a surfacing agent and loads of sanding.

Alternately embrace the wood side and paint it as a classic retro woody truck. :) That would look stunning on the tabletop and it's not totally infeasable that some artsy marine decided to panel his rhino.

Do you have any suggestions for a surfacing agent? I was thinking a thin coat of watered down glue to smooth the surface after I finish sanding?

I was also thinking that a slightly thicker coat of spray paint will help.

this is awsomeness. my only concern is the paint job, how are you going to go about stopping the wood looking like.... well, wood when you paint them.

Guessing a surfacing agent and loads of sanding.

Alternately embrace the wood side and paint it as a classic retro woody truck. :) That would look stunning on the tabletop and it's not totally infeasable that some artsy marine decided to panel his rhino.

I guess the Astartes are going green! Maybe a flower/hippy paintjob would look good on it ;)

But seriously, that is a very impresive lump of wood you've churned out. If only we had access to that sort of equipment back when I was at school, I would have definately taken more interest in woodwork!

Do you have any suggestions for a surfacing agent? I was thinking a thin coat of watered down glue to smooth the surface after I finish sanding?

I was also thinking that a slightly thicker coat of spray paint will help.

I widened a couple classic rhinos with some 1mm balsa, and all I did to get a reasonable representation of perfect surface was alternate coats of future floor finish and sanding with fine grit paper.

I wouldn't paint any thinker than normal, you don't want to destroy all that fantastic detail you've worked hard to create.

Since people were wondering what I would do for the turret here it is. I free handed the turret itself on the band saw out of a scrap piece of wood I had laying around and the lascannons are .25 in dowels with 6 mm vinyl tubing on the front and a fine wire wrapped around the back. Mind you I do not own a predator so the turret may not be perfect.

gallery_4859_4702_1790035.jpg

gallery_4859_4702_926138.jpg

gallery_4859_4702_128347.jpg

I compared them to the barrels on the dreadnought arm and they are a little longer. However since they are just simple wooden dowels, if everyone thinks that they should be longer it would be easy for me to just cut a couple more pieces.

Archived