Wood predator

GuruD

Well I think the lascannon look fantastic, and could only look better with drilling out the barrels. :lol:

Size wise, I'd go so far as to say they're a bit big, but that's fine by me, and it's hard to check the frame of reference just from those pictures.

The creativity of the members here never ceases to amaze me. Great work and I honestly hope to see it finished.

I couldnt agree more!

This is just outstanding! ^_^

are you doing this as a project at college or are you allowed to use it for your own use?

it looks ausome, how many are you planning to make they would be amazingly easy to make in a batch, that first block could take like 5 hulls atleast from the looks of things

I have two "printed" and the hull block can do two more.

I am just doing this for the fun of it. Although it would be cool if this was also a school project.

I have been thinking about redoing the sides since there is a little more texture than I would like. Or I might just use these sides for something like a rhino.I have also considered gluing a layer of cardstock onto the side.

So here is the next update on the predator. I redid the sides so that it would be a little smoother, and I am much happier. Next I ran the bottom of the sides down along a table saw to cut a grove for the wheels for the track.

gallery_4859_4702_122825.jpg

Here Are the wheels ready to be inserted. I cut them from a half inch wooden dowel.

gallery_4859_4702_252046.jpg

Here they are glued into place.

gallery_4859_4702_488180.jpg

The next step is to make the tracks out of an extra large zip tie. The one side has the nice ridges that will give a track like appearance. So I will be taking a heat gun to them a little bit at a time to bend them arround the wheels. I will hopefully have pictures for that up tonight or tomorrow.

This is awesome. I actually thought about asking my grandpa if he could make me a Rhino or maybe even a Land Raider out of wood, but I figured GW wouldn't approve.

I might just ask my people if they could make something like this for me.

Here is the start of the tread. I am using an extra large zip tie and bending it with a heat gun.

gallery_4859_4702_1447239.jpg

Here it is shaped after about 10-20 minutes of using the heat gun.

gallery_4859_4702_850816.jpg

Here it is attached.

gallery_4859_4702_1111124.jpg

Here is the turret ready to be mounted. I drilled a hole in both the turret and the hull, then glued a .5" peg into the turret. So it still can swivel.

gallery_4859_4702_756517.jpg

Here is a side shot after it was mounted.

gallery_4859_4702_600143.jpg

Here is the front of the turret showing the now drilled out Lascannons.

gallery_4859_4702_438335.jpg

Here are the exhaust pieces for the sides. I cut a .5" dowel in half with the bandsaw and then drilled a hole into the top for a .125" dowel.

gallery_4859_4702_156001.jpg

Things are coming along quite nicely.

Archived