Librarian Dread WIP

Overrated

Little guy started out as a AoBR dread - Now he's dynamic as hell with a much sleeker profile. I really like how much thinner the AoBR dread is compared to the others, and I find its sculpt is superior to most. I am also a huge fan of the sarcophagus - I don't want a marine head sticking out of my dread. The stacks on the arm are there to show how much power it takes to use the Force Weapon (It's really big and awesome - Pics soon) and cables will be hooked up from the sword to the shoulder pad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Manticore/DSC00378.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Manticore/DSC00379.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Manticore/DSC00380.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Manticore/DSC00381.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Manticore/DSC00382.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Manticore/DSC00383.jpg

Things to add:

Blood Angel Icongraphy

Buster Sword Force Weapon (Will update with him holding it in an hour)

Something to replace the blood drop because I dislike it (Voice your opinion please)

Cables and wires (Gonna be a day or two, need to go buy guitar wire)

A bit more filing/greenstuffing (Sword hand in particular)

Greenstuff "boot tread" on both feet

Would love some comments. I'm trying to figure out a way to do a psychic hood, and I'm also looking for something to sculpt or put on the blank side front plate thing (Where the blood drop currently is), lend me your brains :D I don't want anything that restricts range of motion or would give the impression the dread isn't fast. A major point was making a very mobile looking dread and I think I achieved that.

He stands a decent amount taller than a normal AoBR dread (I don't have others for comparison ATM) and will take a shot of that once I update with the sword.

I actually think it would be better if you didn't give him a sword and worked with the dreadnought close combat weapon. The pose you have got the fingers in is just awesome in the stance the Dreadnought is in. I think you should link up loads of cables and wiring into the fist and green stuff psychic flames and shiz coming out of the 'palm' of the fist, Huron style. Basically, turning the power fist itself into a Force Weapon.

That does look really good, a very dynamic, very fast moving mini. And a wonderful use of the AOBR dreadnought. Just goes to show what you can achieve when you have a vision :). As for suggestions: instead of the blood drop you could add some billowing parchement, it would add to the movement of the mini and reinforce the image of a Librarian Dread. You could add a smaller piece to the other side as well. The psyhic hood is a little trickier I think but you could try to make an 'iron halo' above the sarcophagus that has loads of cables looping over, around and through it from the main body of the dread to the sarcophagus itself. Or perhaps us greenstuff to modify the top of the sarcophagus to look a bit like a regular Librarian's psychic hood.

I look forward to seeing the pics of him with his sword, and to how this project develops :)

James

I really like that idea Terrible_Trygon but I've already committed to the "buster sword" :) Will definitely think about it for the next one though!

That does look really good, a very dynamic, very fast moving mini. And a wonderful use of the AOBR dreadnought. Just goes to show what you can achieve when you have a vision :). As for suggestions: instead of the blood drop you could add some billowing parchement, it would add to the movement of the mini and reinforce the image of a Librarian Dread. You could add a smaller piece to the other side as well. The psyhic hood is a little trickier I think but you could try to make an 'iron halo' above the sarcophagus that has loads of cables looping over, around and through it from the main body of the dread to the sarcophagus itself. Or perhaps us greenstuff to modify the top of the sarcophagus to look a bit like a regular Librarian's psychic hood.

I look forward to seeing the pics of him with his sword, and to how this project develops :)

James

Thank you :)

I was thinking of doing parchment and purity seals but it's so difficult to do right on the painting end of things, but I'm getting some renewed ideas at this ridiculous hour so maybe I can make it work.

I'm sort of getting what you mean for the hood, but I think it will look too bulky. I'm going to experiment with some smaller, more streamlined hoods but I think I may just achieve it by going minimalist and doing a massive glow effect from inside the sarcophagus.

Here are the promised updated pictures - As you can see I added some forgeworld symbols to each arm. The resin cast was kind of crappy so I'm either going to pull them off and redo them or just greenstuff them (More likely). BA symbol needs the wing tips redone/the circle thing at one part - Chalice needs the blood spilling out of it and some clean up, nothing major.

Photobucket isn't really working for me right now so I'm uploading through imageshack. I don't have a clue what's going on with the PB website right now...

http://i44.tinypic.com/ae2jba.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2h4bame.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/35kob3s.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/11ranwi.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/9azpcz.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2418oyd.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/11ade82.jpg

Fantastic job on the fists and pose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

IMHO, I think that the sword is to thick, if it were half of the thickness it would look better/more Blood Angelish, by that I mean that the Blood Angels are artisans and this sword looks more like it was designed "FUR CHOPIN' "

For the Psychic hood.......I would sugggest that because of your commendable sculpting/modeling skills, that you male it out of plasticard and GS. Having a piece of card bending over the top of the sarcophagus and modeling cables/wires inside it to continue in the same fasion as the wires and cables on the side of the sarcophagus.

I also think that the big blood drop on the front armour does not do you or your libby Dread justice. I would suggest you try for something more detailed and specific to teh Dread......such as parchments (suggested above), a winged/robed depiction of the librarian when alive killing something etc....

I just want to make sure that you know I love the work you have done on this guy! My suggestions are purely my opinions and constructive critisisms. I am trying to give you different ideas because that is what I appreciate when I am working on a project ;)

Again, GREAT WORK! I can't wait to see more.

GB

You could sculpt up a Librarium skull to replace the blood drop, the one with the donward curving horns.

Love the sword but it looks a bit plain, maybe you could carve lines into it (like the original Buster sword) to represent the psycho conductive filaments?

Overall great conversion :D

D0dge: Thank you :D

TheTruePhantasm: Three layers of 1mm thick plasticard glued together, a couple hours of filing, some creative use of bits, greenstuffing, more filing and trimming, plasticard tubes, paper even - It took about 6 hours total but I never really had a clear idea of what I wanted so it changed shape a few times.

Fantastic job on the fists and pose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

IMHO, I think that the sword is to thick, if it were half of the thickness it would look better/more Blood Angelish, by that I mean that the Blood Angels are artisans and this sword looks more like it was designed "FUR CHOPIN' "

For the Psychic hood.......I would sugggest that because of your commendable sculpting/modeling skills, that you male it out of plasticard and GS. Having a piece of card bending over the top of the sarcophagus and modeling cables/wires inside it to continue in the same fasion as the wires and cables on the side of the sarcophagus.

I also think that the big blood drop on the front armour does not do you or your libby Dread justice. I would suggest you try for something more detailed and specific to teh Dread......such as parchments (suggested above), a winged/robed depiction of the librarian when alive killing something etc....

I just want to make sure that you know I love the work you have done on this guy! My suggestions are purely my opinions and constructive critisisms. I am trying to give you different ideas because that is what I appreciate when I am working on a project ;)

Again, GREAT WORK! I can't wait to see more.

GB

Thank you very much :) I guess the sword design is all subjective - I think a sword like that is very "artisan" in appearance, considering it was for a Dreadnought ;) I always impart some form of realism into my custom stuff (I am working on a truescale Blood Angel army) even though realism in 40k is an oxymoron. What I meant by it is that anything thinner wielded by something with that much raw mechanical power would become obliterated in battle, if you get what I mean. I tried a few thinner, more eloquent designs and they just seemed too flimsy and ridiculous.

Thanks for the plasticard/greenstuff praise (Even though I didn't even sculpt anything remotely difficult :P) I was experimenting with very similar ideas earlier, and I think if I go with a more "blocky" Space Marine Vehicle-style approach to the hood it will look much better considering all the hard lines on the model. The curved hood works on normal minis due to rounded edges - Dreads have virtually none.

I think the blood drop is :P too. A poster above suggested scrollwork, now you, I'm pretty much convinced it's the way to go. I can always freehand a blood drop on it and achieve greater effect.

When it comes to projects I'm the same way - I really appreciate criticism and outside of the box thinking. Thank you again.

You could sculpt up a Librarium skull to replace the blood drop, the one with the donward curving horns.

Love the sword but it looks a bit plain, maybe you could carve lines into it (like the original Buster sword) to represent the psycho conductive filaments?

Overall great conversion :D

Friend suggested that earlier tonight, but I want something that covers more real estate.

I was going to carve lines into it, I still might. I just feel I'm at a point where adding more would be taking away from it if that makes sense. I think with paint the sword will meet expectations, but I still may do the cool buster sword engraving.

Terrible_Trygon: I'm not seeing the ork at all, but yeah it's slightly weeaboo. I just think a dread should have a big freaking sword - Anything less wouldn't have the same scare/practical factor. I think naysayers will like it more with all the wires hooked up to it ;)

Wow, that is a decent amount of shades of awesome. I am not sure whether I feel the sword is too large or not but apart from that it kicks ass. I am really looking forward to see it finished and painted.

I like your rationelle as to why the sword is as thick as it is :tu:

In place of the blood drop, putting half of the blood angel's winged blood drop on each side would look good, you could also sculpt scrolls over it to add a little something extra.....So many possibilities!

GB

I <3 this dreadnought so hard...how did you modify the arms like that? I see what you did at the wrists there, what about the joint between the hand and shoulder? Also, what did you do to the legs? Anything fancier than it looks, or just playing with the knee joint?

That sword is awesome. Pure, undiluted awesome.

Do you plan on adding a psychic hood somehow? I know its not necessary, but I feel like there should be some way to do it that would look even more awesome.

Which dread is that? If you've seen the new plastic venerable dread (I haven't), would that kit combined with the arms from an Ironclad work to copy this? The pictures on the GW site make the torso look a little heftier.

I'm in awe of how awesome this looks, I can't wait to shamelessly copy it.

That is AMAZING! How did you get such a dynamic pose? And that is the first time i have seen a dreadnought with an oversized weapon (hammer, sword, etc.) that looks good wielding it, so hats off to you.

I wish I could easily multiple quote people, but I can't so I'll just quote the largest posts and address the rest by user name :)

I <3 this dreadnought so hard...how did you modify the arms like that? I see what you did at the wrists there, what about the joint between the hand and shoulder? Also, what did you do to the legs? Anything fancier than it looks, or just playing with the knee joint?

That sword is awesome. Pure, undiluted awesome.

Do you plan on adding a psychic hood somehow? I know its not necessary, but I feel like there should be some way to do it that would look even more awesome.

Which dread is that? If you've seen the new plastic venerable dread (I haven't), would that kit combined with the arms from an Ironclad work to copy this? The pictures on the GW site make the torso look a little heftier.

I'm in awe of how awesome this looks, I can't wait to shamelessly copy it.

Thank you very much ;) I modified them with lots of chopping, maybe even some sawing, glue, plasticard, greenstuff, etc. I'm guessing the joint where there's just a piece of plasticard tube at right now on the one side - Just have to cut it and try to keep all the detail intact, failing that you sacrifice a piece you can easily sculpt back in. The legs I just chopped up in more places than the knee joint (I'll try to post a pic and circle the places I made cuts). I added a half CM spacer because the thighs were much too small and I wanted to avoid the stubby look. I think I used the mid section of a Hurricane mount Bolter :P The ankle pistons and thigh pistons were also cut. I added plates to the very exposed and flimsy-looking thigh joints to make the dread appear sturdier.

Thank you on the sword - You either love it or you hate it :blush:

I think I've come upon a design in my brain that I will put in to effect soon that should work. Not exactly sure where the placement is going to be but it's all within a few millimeters.

It's the AoBR snap together dread. You won't be able to achieve the thinner profile/semi-realistic movement/range of motion with the other bulkier and thicker dreads.

I can't wait to see your rendition :P

TheLastTemplar: I think I called it a Buster Sword a few times :P Definitely some inspiration there.

Saphos: Thank you very much. My original intent was to have him 2 handing it so that's why it's a bit large (The handle was even longer before). With some shortening of the handle, I think I achieved a very large one-handed sword. I rationalize it as a big robot would not have the same difficulties wielding something so large in one hand due to the vast strength difference.

Grimm Blade: I wish I had the room to do that, that was my initial plan. Failed miserably when I realized how much I'd have to extend the front plates to do so (Restricting movement of the arms, something I'm not willing to do.)

verpine: Have an idea in your head, lots of hobby tools and accessories and take your time getting the cuts and angles right :P It took quite awhile but it was worth it! Thank you for the weapon comment - I wish I saw more dreads with hand modifications and big weapons :P Looks awesome.

It's the AoBR snap together dread. You won't be able to achieve the thinner profile/semi-realistic movement/range of motion with the other bulkier and thicker dreads.

Hang on a second, the AoBR dread is smaller than the regular plastic one?

I just want to jump back in here and say that now he's complete with the sword he looks even better.

I also want to curse you... as now I really want to try this kind of conversion with one of the new venerable dreads with a few tweaks and stuff, but I can't cause I'm broke!

I'm not really cursing you, kudos to you on such a fantastic mini :jaw:

James

Hang on a second, the AoBR dread is smaller than the regular plastic one?

Yes sir.

Pig Of Sparta: I'll be looking forward to seeing how it works with the new Ven Dred - I think he's gonna look a bit too wide but you might surprise me :P Thank you for the compliments!

Meracalis: The display base for my Blood Angels is going to be a big "300" inspired diorama with a lot of eldar space fairies getting wasted (Part display, part diorama - Should look really good when complete). Just a dream right now though, too much to work on :)

Alright guys, sorry for taking so long with the update. Went and bought some guitar wire (Bass to be precise) and I was about to start trying it out but my exacto knife's new blade decided to ram into my thumb ;)

I'm alright - Should probably have gotten stitches but my friends don't call me Wolverine for nothing ;) Sliced right through, hit the bone, clotted in under 2 minutes. Little super glue to keep it closed and it'll be good as new in a couple days, but for now no messing around with pinning wires and stuff!

This is what I got done on him before the "incident". I'm undecided about the vents but I think they fill the space well (I may trim them down so they don't stick out so much). I really like what I've done so far with the hood, it's small and pretty much what I was going after. I'll do some greenstuffing to clean it up and maybe a couple wires and such, but tell me what you think!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Manticore/DSC00399.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Manticore/DSC00398.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Manticore/DSC00397.jpg

Looking pretty cool. Sorry to hear about your injury though, kinda sucks when you invalid youself out of modelling, done it a few times myself (knives slipping into thumb tips maily). Superglue first aid for the win!

I kinda like the vents, if you wire them up to the hood, it could be like an excess pyshic energy dumping system (representing Libby Dreads not suffering perils of the warp per se, but taking a glancing hit instead if I've read stuff correctly).

It's gonna be a while until I do miy Dreadnought conversion. Need to get some cash together to get the bits I want and stuff, but I will hopefully get one done before the year is out :D

James

Looking pretty cool. Sorry to hear about your injury though, kinda sucks when you invalid youself out of modelling, done it a few times myself (knives slipping into thumb tips maily). Superglue first aid for the win!

I kinda like the vents, if you wire them up to the hood, it could be like an excess pyshic energy dumping system (representing Libby Dreads not suffering perils of the warp per se, but taking a glancing hit instead if I've read stuff correctly).

It's gonna be a while until I do miy Dreadnought conversion. Need to get some cash together to get the bits I want and stuff, but I will hopefully get one done before the year is out :)

James

If you can't take the knife you shouldn't be playing warhammer :)

That's what I was thinking with the vents. Debating if I should flip them so that the psychic exhaust is going up instead of down, though.

Yeah the bits I keep using are adding up - Luckily I have pairs of everything for when I do my next one ;)

Very true :D. I avoid any serious injuries so far despite my sometime casual disregard to knife safety (I never cut away, I have less control over the knife and I can't see what I'm doing properly).

You could try the vents the other way up, but I think they'll look better how they are now. Are you gonna make another Libby dread or are you planning something different for the next one?

James

Very true :D. I avoid any serious injuries so far despite my sometime casual disregard to knife safety (I never cut away, I have less control over the knife and I can't see what I'm doing properly).

You could try the vents the other way up, but I think they'll look better how they are now. Are you gonna make another Libby dread or are you planning something different for the next one?

James

Everything will be the same on the next one except for the pose I'm pretty sure. Once I stop messing up my resin casts of the sword it will look a lot better (Going to give it battle damage).

I'm going to mess with the hood and vents a little - Reduce their profile and put the side parts of the hood in a bit more so it's more distinguishable.

Archived