Rune Priests

Zentor

So my buddy was hinting at how amazing his Space Wolf Rune Priest is but I never got a chance to find out what the deal was and why theyre so special. I don't have a SW codex on hand, and although I think someone explained them to me before, why are they special? Don't they have some amazing Invuln save or something?

Z

Plus you can technically give him three saves against psychic powers.

4+ On the Runic Weapon for any power within 24 inches

5+ Wolf Tail Talisman offering a 5+ against any power affecting the unit

5+ Runic Armour offering a 5+ against any power wounding the Rune Priest.

Nothing states that they can't be used in conjunction, especially as they occur at different times, when first casting, when targeting the squad and when the Priest is wounded.

Rune Priest is awesome, 4+ to nulify psy powers b/c of rune staff (free) it also a force weop that wounds all daemons on 2+ (including DP's and GD's) (one put a W on my DP last game). And FREE psy powers that benefit the army as a whole, better then the chaos sorc's pwrs. The Rune Priest make the chaos sorc look like he is is his freshman year of psycker college, while the runepriest has a masters degree. Totally bass ackwards according to all the fluff. Thabks again Gav Thorpe :)

Rune Priest is awesome, 4+ to nulify psy powers b/c of rune staff (free) it also a force weop that wounds all daemons on 2+ (including DP's and GD's) (one put a W on my DP last game). And FREE psy powers that benefit the army as a whole, better then the chaos sorc's pwrs. The Rune Priest make the chaos sorc look like he is is his freshman year of psycker college, while the runepriest has a masters degree. Totally bass ackwards according to all the fluff. Thabks again Gav Thorpe ;)

I'm reading Thousand Sons right now and its kinda funny that the SW are now the uber Psyker Chapter.

If they keep this pace, I'm going to be very curious to see what happens when/if they redo Chaos. Tzeentch Sorcerers will insta-pass all tests, cast 3 powers per turn, force any anti-psyker gear to be rerolled and can summon 1D6 Lords of Change per turn. :lol:

If they keep this pace, I'm going to be very curious to see what happens when/if they redo Chaos. Tzeentch Sorcerers will insta-pass all tests, cast 3 powers per turn, force any anti-psyker gear to be rerolled and can summon 1D6 Lords of Change per turn. :)

Indeed, I can pretty much see the next Chaos powers being insane, and rightly so. 2012 ?!?!?! Fittingly enough, the world would be supposed to come to an end shortly thereafter >.>

That would be AWESOME. Oh and take a look at Blood Angels, some of their powers are just mean.

I haven't had a chance to really look at their psyker powers. What new toys do they get?

Although, I'm still baffled at why all the space marines haven't just become ultramarines with different color schemes and mediocre powers :).

If they keep this pace, I'm going to be very curious to see what happens when/if they redo Chaos. Tzeentch Sorcerers will insta-pass all tests, cast 3 powers per turn, force any anti-psyker gear to be rerolled and can summon 1D6 Lords of Change per turn.

After doing just that, GW would release the new 6th edition rule book stating how insta-pass psychic tests roll a 4+ for perils for every power casted, and super anti-psyker gear isn't affected by rerolls on passing. Oddly enough, it just so happens that the new Space Marine dex that would come out 2 days later gives the loyalists auto-pass psychic tests (which don't suffer from perils at all), super anti-psyker gear on tacs and the ability to deep strike the Emperor whenever either player coughs.

back on topic, Rune priests are amazing because they're cost-effective and have pretty good powers to back them up. Oh and as Mikal mentioned, they bring lots of anti-psyker weaponry to the field.

Fittingly enough, the world would be supposed to come to an end shortly thereafter >.>

Yes of course the chaos space marines are going to gain so much power in their 5th edition codex that they will destroy the world :lol:

I know, and it's a shame, fluffwize he is my favorite of the chaos gods. IMO old WHFB did a better job at representing Tz in a way that was more in line with the fluff. 40k does a pretty poor job of it, 1st off, Tz sorc's being mediocer at best :huh: , actually quite poor compaired to other psykers in game (libbies, wolfpriest, nids, eldar). 2nd the won't get off this automatons thing, that only effected TS's not other Tz worshipers and, more importantly, it was a one time event. No one has worshipped Tz since then ?? Tz armies should have 2 troops types ruberics and a reg Tz worshiping troop type. Actually you could say that the ruberics could be elites (not b/c they are so good, but b/c there would be so few of them left).

uber cheap , very good support units , anti pysker build in , good combination of psychic powers to pick and chooser of slain.

All of this and they also give Ld 10 to the squad they join, which is nice for counterattack and Ld tests in general. There are quite some people who run like 3 or 4 Rune priest, each in a Grey hunter squad. Work very well.

chillin daemon princes dont have the daemon special rule.

A Greater Daemon is a Daemon

It doesn't say "Models with the Daemon rule" it explicitly states Daemons therefore it wounds a Daemon Prince on a 2+, if you deny that then I likely won't play you because it's obvious.

chillin daemon princes dont have the daemon special rule.

A Greater Daemon is a Daemon

It doesn't say "Models with the Daemon rule" it explicitly states Daemons therefore it wounds a Daemon Prince on a 2+, if you deny that then I likely won't play you because it's obvious.

Could be problematic to prove it, as indeed Deamon Princes dont have anything 'deamon' in their rules, only in their name and fluff. Personally I would let someone wound me on a 2+ though, no mistakes here.

Personally I'd say no. There is a clear difference between a daemon and a marine who has been gifted by Chaos gods and risen to the rank of Prince. He is very much a part of the material world and is very stable in his existence. He is still a man so to speak, just much much more. The same cannot be said of summoned Daemons though who are 0% man, they were not originally from the material world and then gifted. They are 100% Daemon. They're from the immaterium and have been given a brief unstable existence in the material world. Daemon Princes from the Codex Daemons book would still be wounded on a 2+ as they are Daemons who have been gifted to the point they are a Prince, not men.

The word Daemon is not enough. If it was then it meant you would wound Daemon Hunters on a 2+ as well. This does smell of the old threads that came about when C:CSM was released. Walking that same old path again eh.

Personally I'd say no. There is a clear difference between a daemon and a marine who has been gifted by Chaos gods and risen to the rank of Prince. He is very much a part of the material world and is very stable in his existence. He is still a man so to speak, just much much more. The same cannot be said of summoned Daemons though who are 0% man, they were not originally from the material world and then gifted. They are 100% Daemon. They're from the immaterium and have been given a brief unstable existence in the material world. Daemon Princes from the Codex Daemons book would still be wounded on a 2+ as they are Daemons who have been gifted to the point they are a Prince, not men.

The word Daemon is not enough. If it was then it meant you would wound Daemon Hunters on a 2+ as well. This does smell of the old threads that came about when C:CSM was released. Walking that same old path again eh.

Codex Chaos Daemons describes them as the champions who have ascended but have given up their mortal form rather than daemons that have rewarded. Agree with your points though:

CSM Daemon prince = mortal body

Chaos Daemon prince = warp entity

Archived