Cultists

More or less. Alpha legion cultists are expendable, but valued a little more than just meat bags. If you're a cultist for the black legion or the word bearers you'd better just shut up, not look at anything other than your feet, and run into the enemies guns. Alpha legion cultists were at least given free speech and allowed to be a part of mission planning.

Well there's cultists and cannon fodder.

same thing isn't it?

For an Apoc game, I think I'd use the Penal Legion troops from the IG as Cultists. Their crazy mixup powers seems fairly fitting.

Though i find it hard to see how the WE would use cultists.... wouldnt they just butcher the cultists as a sacrifice to Khorne and not bother utilising them in battle as meat shields or whatever?

Both actually.

The novel Conquest of Armageddon (iirc), features a bunch of World Eaters with cultists among their ranks. After realizing that the first War of Armageddon is lost they fall upon each other in order to continue the carnage. Naturally the cultists are the ones to fall in droves.

Also during the Eye of Terror campaign the World Eaters under Kosolax had cultists. He ordered them to be slaughtered so that he could summon a Bloodthirster.

I don't see why any of the Legions wouldn't use cultists.

World Eaters: bullet shields, sacrifices, insiders that can set demolitions to provide better access for slaughter.

Death Guard: Spreading disease before an invasion.

Emperor's Children: Take a guess O_o

Thousand Sons: Thralls for sorcerers.

Iron Warriors: Crew teams for siege weapons, engineers, sappers.

Night Lords: To set up a campaign of terror before the Legion arrives to escalate the terror.

Black Legion: Expendable troops.

Word Bearers and Alpha Legion already have examples.

Also remember not all cultists are the same. They aren't all pathetic cowards being herded into battle or chained to a black altar being forced to pray 24/7. The Blood Pact, for instance, are a cultist force.

I'm sure different Legions have different preferences for cultist types and what to do with them. The Alpha Legion use them as spies/informants/assassins and build networks of them, and probably have more of a vested interest in them beyond simple bodies. Word Bearers, brutal as they are, do value cultists for spiritual properties and have many uses for them beyond fodder. I'd imagine Death Guard might actually look after their cultists fondly...fondly in that Nurgle kind of way (I'm so proud of my slave, look at all the new boils on his face!). I'd imagine that even the World Eaters value cultists in a 'worker ants' capacity; but of course they're also walking instruments of Khorne, either killing the enemy for Khorne, or dying horribly...for Khorne.

I've just recently realised that The Lost and The Damned are renegade cultists that follow the Black Legion/Abaddon (sorry for my lateness lol :o)

I like the idea of the pitiful squirmy cults that are just used and abused by the legions and used as sport to entertain the troops and slaughtered in the masses as sacrifices to the Chaos Gods (yup im cruel and evil really lol).

(yup im cruel and evil really lol).

Then your on the right forums.

This thread makes me miss my Lost and the Damned. I never cared if they won games, they just went out, tried, succeed or die. And the models were so funny.... Buzz had 1 arm and 4 chainswords, Polo had no arms or weapons to speak of, but Marko had no eyes and twice as many arms and weapons as needed. (There is a joke hidden there ;) .)

Over 150 mutants and cultists(traitors) running around foolishly with a few chaos marines instilling leadership(FEAR) so they never ran away. It was a fun army.

I actually imagine nurgle has the most human followers... all those plague zombies... he is the only one who can spread his influence by coughing on someone.

I actually imagine nurgle has the most human followers... all those plague zombies... he is the only one who can spread his influence by coughing on someone.

You could be right. I mean, they had to form a whole Inquisitorial Ordos Minoris to deal with the Curse of Unbelief (Plague Zombies).

Archived