Azure Blades Honor Guard

Espada Azul

Despite their limitations with regards to wargear, as well as practical viability outside of Apocalypse, I've always wanted to give my Chapter Master his own retinue of Honor Guard. It just doesn't feel right for the leader of the Chapter to just go traipsing off without his personal bodyguard of Chapter Veterans, even for an under-strength Chapter like my DIY.

So, fresh from finishing my LPC Vow, I've decided on an Honor Guard unit for my next project.

gallery_30361_1764_37671.png

The Bearer of the Chapter Banner was an old model that was a surprise find, really, while his two fellows are converted from leftover bits in my collection. All of them are looking mighty shiny right now -- the Banner Bearer due to the dip I used on him (which is semi-gloss), and the Chapter Champion and Veteran due to the Tamiya Blue spray paint I used to basecoat them.

Incidentally I already have the Chapter Banner ready and printed out, just waiting to be attached to that banner pole as a final touch.

gallery_30361_1764_304618.png

Not too complex, just as I prefer it. It's amazing how good it still looks when reduced to 3 by 1.5 inches in scale...

Update 04/03/2010: I've been having surprising progress on the unit, which is kind of ironic as they're more of a display piece rather than an actual deployable part of my army. Ah well.

gallery_30361_1764_395692.png

The way the wood stain has spread the shade unto the models isn't as even as I'd have liked, but it's FAR better than my early attempts at shading an odd year or so ago.

gallery_30361_1764_164314.png

Now I just need to wait for the varnish to completely dry on all three models, then it's on to the next step: highlights and touch-up.

• 2 weeks later...

And done!

gallery_30361_1764_543274.png

Although not entirely visible due to the lighting, I hit a little bit of adhesion issues with the varnish this time around (with some areas looking milky-white), but it's relatively minor and easily ignored on the tabletop.

Archived