High-contrast Marines

feuer_faust

So, I started farting around with ink again and have come to a two-part conclusion: I need to add dramatic shadowing to my artistic arsenal and I need to ink with more than just a pen (maybe a pot of ink and a brush or two).

Below is my first major attempt at this exaggerated style. For an idea of what I mean, check the works of Frank Miller (Dark Knight, Sin City) or Mike Mignola (Hellboy). As a final note, I've included this in link form since it not onyl seems to be the rage these days, but I really don't want to wrangle with photobucket.

http://feuer-faust.deviantart.com/art/Spac...trast-158903076

Constructive criticism is requested! In particular, advice on placing the shadows and if I managed to make the marines keep the beefy marine look adequately.

Build more pylons.

The guy on the right looks like he is wearing aviators. I like the guy on the left, but think his lower torso and bolter look a bit busy. I would simplify the detail on the lower torso, simple black and whites just to fill in the background. The bolter could probably have a white casing. Perhaps a white outline where it is in front of the powerfist, so you can see where it ends and the fist begins.

Archived