Dreadnoughts and Chaos Spawn

And obliterators were elites. I'll take that switch in a heartbeat, elite oblits and heavy dreads. I imagine that would make armies lean even more towards oblits than dreads though so maybe not.

Only shooting enemies in 3.5 made them great for lascannons and autocannons because with that range you could almost always see something. With the new rules it is stupid, your friendlies will almost always be the closest unit for the first half of the game. And blood frenzy was so so so much better. I really miss the double attacks, and if I remember right the khorn upgrade made them blood rage twice as often so you could plan on getting double attacks in hth almost half the time. 1,2 were blood rage, 6 being fire frenzy turned into blood rage when you were already in hth :tu: .

With two, you're almost assured to have one make contact with the enemy intact,

So your "almost" assured to have 50% effectiveness, is that supposed to be a good thing ??

I wish dreads were at least somewhat effective so I could take them, but "almost" 50% isn't much of an endorsement. You do realize

> 50% is failing by the most slack of standards ?? :P

I love the concept of dreads and love how my converted ones look, but chaos dreads are just pathetic when it comes to play on the table top.

You're right, I've only been playing this game for almost 17 years, so I have no idea what I'm talking about. :P What I mean is that 2 dreads hitting their lines is 100% effective, one untouched and one damaged is still more than 50% effective, and 1 making it in is still 50%. I've never managed to lose both on the way in. And if they're shooting up the dreads, then the 'zerkers in rhinos are being ignored, which is just as good.

I hope more and more players continue to think that chaos dreads suck and ignore them in the shooting phase...

You're right, I've only been playing this game for almost 17 years, so I have no idea what I'm talking about. :) What I mean is that 2 dreads hitting their lines is 100% effective, one untouched and one damaged is still more than 50% effective, and 1 making it in is still 50%. I've never managed to lose both on the way in. And if they're shooting up the dreads, then the 'zerkers in rhinos are being ignored, which is just as good.

I hope more and more players continue to think that chaos dreads suck and ignore them in the shooting phase...

AHA we have it in writing that you have no clue on this subject!

J/K :o... I wish we had Dreaclaws so we could drop pod dreads right into the enemy... even if they fire frenzy... it would probably not be you getting shot anymore... oh wait I forgot about the drop pod.

We do have dreadclaws in apoc games. Which is why my dreads are limited to apoc games.

There is a guy where I play who plays lots of dreads... and yes I do ignore them in the shooting phase. I focus on killing everything else. When those dreads start to pose a threat I shoot them, but turn 1-2 I leave them alone because I know there is a good chance they will kill stuff for me... and they always do.

Now on that note the most common word in my army list is 'melta' so I have a very easy time killing them at closer range. If I didn't have ways of dealing with them up close I might worry about them early on... but right now I have no reason to.

What I mean is that 2 dreads hitting their lines is 100% effective, one untouched and one damaged is still more than 50% effective, and 1 making it in is still 50%.

getting in to hth with a dread against any form of good 5th ed list means that A they already sturgle to catch up moving only 12" per turn max B one dread is nothing, at best it tarpits something [or rather gets tarpited] C with them going crazy every extra dread model means the chance that they are not going to do what you want them to do. D they are not cheap even the 2xccw one if you take two it means you run one less sqaud of oblits[so not enough anti tank/long range support] less troops[so less scoring units] or less HQs[or rather DPs] E if enough points are played to not feel the cost of dreads no good army has problems with dealing them .

Another words they are bad at 1500 , at 1750 at 2250 and at 2500.

I mean ask a sm player how offten do they run footslogging ironclads [and those dont go crazy and are av 13].

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I'll always like my dreads, I'll keep using them, and minus the one or two times I was struck with bad rolls, they'll keep handing the enemy their asses in little pieces. :P

Dreads used to be heavy support choices? That seems odd.

The Oblits vs Dreads argument is something I've seen already, and it usually doesn't end well. But having some oblits could be a nice option also. I'll check them out.

I love my Dreads, even though playing a game with them is a lot like herding cats. Cats with guns.

I have two, one with X2 DCCW and a magnetized one with a variety of options.

The last game I played one of them took out a Defiler the first shot of the first turn (with a Krak missile!). Epic.

The game before that the other Blood Raged twice, got to just outside of an inch of a Leman Russ and proceeded to Fire Frenzy its heavy flamer and twin linked bolter at the AV14 tank. :rolleyes:

Take them for fun, just make sure the rest of your army is flexible enough to adapt should one of them decide it has a different agenda.

Postumus

Edit: Makes more sense now!

I love Chaos Dreadnoughts (I love Dreadnoughs in general in all races that have them) the concept of the Chaos Dreadnought, the models (Forgeworld & Conversion Potential) and the tactical flexibility really appeal to me.

In my experience the usefulness of Chaos Dreadnoughts and whether they should be taken depends on your view of how valuable a unit you may not be able to control from turn to turn is. I myself had a nasty shock the one (note one and only) time I used a plasma cannon. I misread the rule change about target selection (this was when the 'dex first came out and it still haunts me :P )and consequently my unit of 8 Bezerrkers was wiped out in one turn.

As distressing as this was at the time (Bezerkers were newly painted - I suspect new model syndrome :rolleyes: ) I would point out that the unpredictability has also done wonders for me more often than the misfortune of my above example. In that vey game, the Dreadnought proceeded rage and make a measure of amends for itself. Both rage and fire frenzy can be useful (the latter admittedly not so much these days).

My Dreadnoughts are still consistently used and they still attract the most firepower from my opponants taking fire from my Rhino's. On occasion when they make it into combat they aquit themselves nicely, tying up a unit for a number of turns depending on the units wargear or how badly the opponant wants to free the unit.

I tend to favour one with twin-DCCW and one with a Twin-Linked Autocannon for felxibility.

They may not be what they once were in the 3.5 codex (sadly) but they still have a place and a great deal of usefulness. They can provide reasonable firepower and make great diversions attracting disproportionate amounts of enemy fire. Although it doesn't happen often, if they get into combat then they tend to excel (so long as the target has been selected well of course).

I cannot comment on spawn as I have never used them in any capacity. Personally I'd rather spend the points elsewhere.

Nothing to me says "CHAOS" as much as a dread going nuts.

And as I prefer laughter in my games, I'd take them.

"Live fast, die young, & have a good looking corpse."

Actually in the last codex they were a million times better

Khorne ones went into blood rage on 1,2 or 6, and got the extra attack from the Khorne upgrade

Never stopd to shoot, and they cut up everyone

• 3 weeks later...
I was mistaken with the Chaos Spawns, when I have used two they are more of a burden. But another player used over 10 as he/she mentioned, the outcome could be interesting. Dreads don't need ranged weapons in my opinion, but they are always fun to field.

I fielded a dread in a tournament today and although he shot my own troops 3 times in 3 games, he still was a horror for my opponents and killed a lot of Space Wolves and Salamanders.

Archived