Chaos Terminators

ant7

I keep reading army lists with termicide units. Is that all chaos termies are good for nowadays? I mean what about 5 lightning clawed termies in a LR?

1) There is a thread on this topic about once a month roughly so I'd try my hand at the search feature and see what pops up.

2) Termicide started as a cost effective counter to Land Raider/heavy armor spamming since its a fairly easy way to stop a big heavy tank across the battlefield and Chaos as a whole lacks alot of long range or fast moving anti-tank.

3) The 5x LC Terminators (usually decked out as Champions and with Icon of Slaanesh or Khorne) are a fairly common build idea but they are really expensive, they rely on our subpar Land Raider and there isn't a big need for a dedicated assault unit in an army full of them.

4) There has been some talk/theory recently about larger than Termicide squads. 5-6 or so, decked out in Combi-weapons and packing a Fist or two. The idea is basically the same, however you expect the squad to hang around longer and have more of a presence on the battlefield.

5) Personally, I'm looking more at 5x special weapon Chosen in a Rhino as an alternative. More expensive @ 165 points for my loadout (3 Melta/2 Flamer) but a little more flexible and durable considering the Rhino and more long term potential (my weapons aren't 1 shot).

There is nothing wrong with bigger squads. I think people like the 3 man squads because it is an easy and effective way to fill a 100pt gap in a list. I run three in tournies, but if I have the points I run 5.

I also think the reason you see chaos players running termies in LRs less often than marine players is that we have other really good hth units that can get the job done cheaper. 10 zerkers in a LR is more effective than just 5 regular terminators, and while I could do the math I doubt they are better than 5 LC termies, but they are scoring and can ride in a rhino if you don't want the 200+ point sink. We also don't have LRs that can hold as many terminators as marine players. Finally terminators in LRs are normally used for character bodyguards, and I think yet another reason you see less of these is that demon princes are much more points effective than a lord.

So I think it is a combination of things. But if you aren't using that land raider then using them as deepstriking tank hunters is the best way to go.

There is nothing wrong with bigger squads. I think people like the 3 man squads because it is an easy and effective way to fill a 100pt gap in a list.

People also run them in groups of three to keep them as cheap as possible as they're generally toast the turn after they show up (and hopefully do what they arrived to do).

Postumus

If you would like to see the math on different Termie, Berzerker and Raptor lists, check out This Link and look halfway down the page. I did a lot of math starting there. Read on, I think there were more opinions and stuff. It's a great topic to view points per kill and whatnot.

• 1 month later...
I actually used to run an extremely termie heavy list at 2500 points(before I sold my army). I ran 30 termies with combimeltas, two chainfists, and a mark of tzeentch icon bearer. Not as scary as a squad of c:sm hammernators, but almost as survivable. I ran two lash termie sorcs with them to just pull things into the meat grinder. Put them all in ds reserve and ripped them down icon bearing noise marines and zerkers in rhinos and raiders. DS, pop vehicles with the combi meltas, next round lash units towards you and try to multi-assault. It didn't work every time, but you should see the look on someone face when you pull thirty Termies out of your box when you're pulling your army out before the game.

I like your style Aramis. It's mainly a cost effective issue.

Terminators in landraider is expensive and considering how dramatically inneffective chaos LR is at shooting compared to the loyaslist couterpart and you see why the combination isn't commonplace. However, it does sound fun.

I think apart from the termicide, a larger squad of terminators with combi-plasma is a fairly competitive choice too. Six such terminators can for example wipe out a long fang squad while appearing and later to cause havoc in enemy territory - or they can land to cripple and later destroy an enemy troops choice.

Archived