Most Popular Legion?

Reading around on the interwebs, I've noticed people talk of the Black Legion as the "Chaos Ultramarines". This kind of confuses me because I see far more Iron Warriors/Night Lords players for undivided than Black Legion. So whats the B&C folks opinion on the most popular chaos legion?

It is true that Black Legion are essentially the Chaos "Poster Boys", which is GW's doing. Not saying there's anything wrong with them, but they are GW's main focus when it comes to Chaos. I personally like the colour scheme, black and gold works very well, but they're not my favourite. That position is held by the World Eaters.

It always seemed to me there were more Iron Warriors fans, but that's just what I've observed and could be totally off. I'd always attributed it to four key factors:

-Cool paint scheme that's also easy to paint.

-Obliterators are really cool.

-Last Codex their Legion rules let them bring alot of firepower.

-Honsou.

Well the Black Legion is pretty much the Force of Abaddon, the archvillain of the storyline.

They are also linked to Horus, the initial uber archvillain.

They look great colorscheme. And they have an interesting and highly blemished background hence they're my favs.

Background-wise they're the logical choice to be the 'posterboys'.

But it never got to such extremes as the UM's. In fact some Chaos art is Iron Warriors on the boxes.

Also unlike for the UM's, the BL are not that omnipresent in things like books or games.

Numerically Iron Warriors are probably the most numerous. They're a fan favourite, one of mine too and look great. They were also insanely good in the old CSM codex which apealed to the powergamers.

I'll reinforce what has already been stated in this thread: Black Legion are the generic brand of choice for GW, but Iron Warriors appears to attract more players.

Although that may change if we end up getting six books in the Soul Hunter series.

Reading around on the interwebs, I've noticed people talk of the Black Legion as the "Chaos Ultramarines". This kind of confuses me because I see far more Iron Warriors/Night Lords players for undivided than Black Legion. So whats the B&C folks opinion on the most popular chaos legion?

Have no idea what most popular chaos undivided legion is, I would say it is either IW's or WB's. I don't know why GW addopted BL as their "poster boys". I've been playing BL long b4 they were on the cover of any chaos codex. But like I said previously, I think there are more IW's and WB's players then BL players. Hell there might be more NL's players then BL players.. Part of problem is that some people refer to any army that has multiple marks or cult troops in it as BL (thank Gav Thorpe for that :P ), and alot of newer players don't know what BL fluff really is.

Have to agree with you chillin, I have been playing bl since the 4th edition, not as long as you but long enought to notice that players are choosing bl without having a clue about their fluff. Many people just do bl because you can have a fluffy army that can have multiple marks which is kind of sad really.

I have to agree with the majority here, the Iron Warriors seem get alot of love. I personally only know two other Chaos players and they both have Iron Warriors!

For me personally, my fave legions are the Black Legion, World Eaters and Word Bearers (I really cant decide which of those 3 legions i like better!)

In my experiance from the armies I have seen in person three legions seem to be around the same level of popularity.

Black Legion - although the concentration of BL armies seemed to be scewed in favour of beginners rather than veterans and this probably has a lot to do with them being "default" chaos like Ultramarines are "deafult" space marines and also more people being ignorant about the cool background of the BL and Failadon (Just to prove a point :o).

World Eaters (or War-bands of this origin) - I think this has a lot to do with Berzerkers being the only Cult unit to have a box set early on and still being cheaper to buy now (I think) than others. They are also fairly simple when it comes to the battle plan.

Iron Warriors - Used to be powerful, easy to paint (I'm not saying you can't paint them in a fantastic manner, I'm just saying a basic colour scheme is easy), have a number of books and so on...

After these Death Guard followed by the Emperors Children come next...

Night Lords, Word Bearers, Alpha legion and the 1ksons have in my experiance been less common although they do exist. I guess they suffer from not being default or being cult except for the 1ksons which suffer from not being able to come within 10,000 miles of a competative list (apparently :'().

-Honsou.

-Dark Mechanicus connection

-Ancient Greek and Nordic fluff rolled into one

-daemonic technology explains any and every possible form of counts-as

-Honsou.

Hah! Yeah on my 2nd read through I realised I really didn't like Honsou. He's dumb and very naive. As far as I'm concerned there's only two cool characters in that book, Forrix and the Warsmith.

-Honsou. Forrix

-Dark Mechanicus connection

-Ancient Greek and Nordic fluff rolled into one

-daemonic technology explains any and every possible form of counts-as

There, fixed.

-Are chaos... without the skin diseases.

-Are chaos... without the religion and whole worshiping bit.

-Stealing tanks and tech is a reason to bring almost anything you want to apoc games.

I tend to echo the feelings that Iron Warriors and Black Legion are the most popular. At least they seem to appear on the table top at my local GW the most. After them I would say that Death Guard are also popular because their troops are tough.

For me, I'm down with the Word Bearers. I enjoy that they're crazy zealots. But thanks to ADB I might have to roll Night Lords too.

I would say Iron Warriors are probably the most popular, and most likely because of how ridiculously powerful they were in 3rd. Also, they are easy to paint which helps.

True Black Legion, I feel, really aren't all that popular. Unfortunately, every renegade army that takes multiple cult units tends to be thrown into the pot with Black Legion (yay current chaos codex...). It's basically calling every Marine army that uses C:SM an Ultramarine army, which just isn't true.

Chaos is, by far, my favorite faction in 40k. In 3rd edition I had pure Death Guard, Night Lords, and Word Bearers using the lists from the codex (all painted and no overlapping models!).

After selling all three of those armys when I took a long break from 40k, I came back to the current Chaos codex and ended up starting Black Legion because I didn't feel like I could really represent any of the other legions (to the standard that I would like) with this dex, but Black Legion really has no limitations so I could do it justice even with this book. When a new Chaos dex comes out though, I will have a lot of trouble deciding what army to play. Pretty much all 9 legions appeal to me in one way or another, and I have at least thought about starting each one at least once. Ironically, the one that I have the least interest in is Iron Warriors...

Black legion and Iron warriors are most populair.

Iron warriors due to 'storm of iron' and because they were 'rather' good in the previous codex..

Black legion because it's a mixture of it all.. you can have some units of each so ..(altough with the new codex all armies can have that now)

Altough the Wordbearers would probably rise in populairity too due to their own novel serie (and a good one too IMO)

Night lords, same story, Soul hunter is one good book and there's sure more to follow !

Locally, among a large core of players:

Word Bearers (Dawn of War 1 influx)

Iron Warriors

World Eaters

Emperor's Children

Black Legion is hardly used here. More than 60 chaos players here to speak of.

-Honsou.

Hah! Yeah on my 2nd read through I realised I really didn't like Honsou. He's dumb and very naive. As far as I'm concerned there's only two cool characters in that book, Forrix and the Warsmith.

I always thought Honsou had a ton of fans by what I read here and elsewhere. But honestly, Forrix is my favorite character too.

Sorry, I should make that Iron Warrior characters, Forrix being the main favourite. The Guard have some cool people to.

I think Honsou gets a lot of love because he's the main character and it's kinda about his (very swift) promotion through the ranks so it's a kinda happy ending for him. It still doesn't stop him being a fool though.

Locally for Chaos we have Death Guard x 2, Thousand Sons x 2, Tzeentch, Black Legion x 2, Iron Warriors x 2, Emperor's Children x 3, Khorne, Word Bearers and World Eaters. That's as far as I can remember so a kinda wide mix but Tzeentch and Slaanesh in the lead.

Black Legion!

Reason why BL is supposedly most famous is understandably bc Horus led the chaos legions and his legion was the Sons of Horus aka BL. And Abaddon is warmaster of chaos, ,the most powerful chaos leader, leader of the black Legion.

Archived