darth_giles' Blood Angels (warning: widescreen)

So I finally decided to get myself stuck back in, and ironically its with the chapter that I first played when I first started playing Loyalists. The Blood Angels.

Before I get too stuck in with modelling, let's pause a moment and talk about the BA. The BA I remember from mid to late 3e were very much a chapter on the brink of destruction. They were known more for the Red Thirst than bright shiny angel wings, more for guzzling blood than any belief that humans were capable of changing anything for the better. They were quite literally hungry vampire marines. And they didn't sparkle, unlike the current BA. They were a dark, sinister army, possibly more frightening than the Dark Angels. Sure the DA would sometimes go bonkers and haul someone off into the night. The Blood Angels would RAM A TAP INTO YOU AND DRAIN YOUR BLOOD FOR THEIR CEREMONIES!

My army is intended to reflect the Blood Angels at one of the many dark times in their chapter's history, when the Inquisition was breathing down their necks and threatening Baal with Exterminatus. Their numbers are on the wane, plodding slowly down the path toward dying out.

Yeah, yeah, enough talk. On with some models. First up is my libby, Brother Belphegor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/darth_giles/Blood%20Angels/100_1323_Scaled.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/darth_giles/Blood%20Angels/100_1324_scaled.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/darth_giles/Blood%20Angels/100_1326_scaled.jpg

Next up are two Assault marines, one with a flamer and a squad Sargent who is as-yet unnamed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/darth_giles/Blood%20Angels/100_1328_scaled.jpg

Comments? Advice?

Thanks.

I wish I could say I thought up the idea for the psychic hood on my own, but I didn't. One of the other brothers here thought up the idea and I shamelessly appropriated it. I must say, I like the look better than the other plastic psychic hood. That one looks to me like a marine using a damaged shoulder pad as a hat, for some reason. You can't see it too well, but the hood is actually a cut-down Khorne icon pad from the 'Zerker sprue where I got his chestplate and head from.

Ah, yes, the mold lines. The flamer marine and most of my tactical marines thus far are from the Assault on Black Reach box. The flamer just has the arrow filed off his pad because he's going to be in a RAS instead of a tac squad.

Yes I love the evil blood angels, they sparkle too much nowadays so I may as well do flesh tearers ;)

I'd thought about Flesh Tearers or one of the darker successor chapters, but I want to be able to use a lot of the special BA gubbinz from FW and the various boxes without needing a metric ton of shoulder pads and a special decal sheet. BA can be dark enough without needing to play a dying chapter that's trying to go down in a blaze of glory.

Yes I love the evil blood angels, they sparkle too much nowadays so I may as well do flesh tearers ;)

I'd thought about Flesh Tearers or one of the darker successor chapters, but I want to be able to use a lot of the special BA gubbinz from FW and the various boxes without needing a metric ton of shoulder pads and a special decal sheet. BA can be dark enough without needing to play a dying chapter that's trying to go down in a blaze of glory.

.....YOU say that like it's a bad thing

.....YOU say that like it's a bad thing
This is the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium. The only time people are heroic is when they're trying to make a name for themselves so they can spread the taint of the Ruinous Powers!

Sorry, went a little exterminatus there, but you get the idea. Heroes and Living Saints attract the attention of the Inquisition, which usually means more honest folks getting hit by the Melta.

More pics coming as soon as I can get more built...

• 4 months later...

Necro Necro Necro....

So I let things settle down for a few months, mainly because I ran low on money due to some unrelated stuff. Mostly car repairs. The good news is that I *finally* found the kind of Simple Green that will actually strip paint. The local supermarket only had the kind in a squirt bottle, so I ended up going to a hardware store and getting a full jug of the stuff. Take it from me, the squirt bottle kind doesn't strip paint even half as well as the concentrate. The only paint it stripped was that godawful Testors' Desert Sand that I used to mass-spray an army of "Bleached Bone" marines.

More updates will be coming as I get paint stripped. Right now I've got all my painted assault marines vatting, plus two rhino chasses and a classic whirlwind.

I've also decided on a theme for the army: The Angry Dead of Baal Secundus .

Archived