All Friendly Units Within

Redleg

I'm certain the answer to my question is in bold letters somewhere on the front cover of the BRB...and I just can't find it.

When an ability or piece of wargear specifies "All friendly units within 6 inches are subject to ...."

Does this include the unit carrying the wargear? I'm asking specifically about the Blood Chalice, though other items spring to mind. I don't see why it wouldn't affect the unit carrying the item, but didn't want to be surprised when playing a pickup game at a local shop. Thanks.

Thanks. It would only make sense that those in the Honour Guard received benefits of the Sanguinary Novitiate's Blood Chalice. I just wanted to make sure as stranger things have happened.

Thanks for the quick response.

If the effect comes from the piece of wargear, the bearer also benefits. If the effect comes from a particular model, that model is not affected, unless the rules specifically say so.

E.g. if models within a certain range of "the chalice" benefit from a certain bonus, then the bearer gets that bonus as well. But if, as is the case with Space Marine standard bearers, it is the model the effect is coming from, then they themselves do not benefit, as they are not a model within x" of themselves.

Example - Space Marine Company Standard (Codex Space Marines, page 55): "Any Space Marine unit within 12" of the Standard Bearer always re-roll failed Morale and Pinning Tests."

The Standard Bearer himself is not affected (as long as he is within a unit, they are though), as he is not a Space Marine within 12" of the Standard Bearer. He is the Standard Bearer.

The 4th Edition Codex Blood Angels rules "Inspiring" (Dante) and "The Red Grail" (Corbulo) were not affecting themselves, as the effect originated from the model, not a piece of equipment.

So a Mek with a KFF on his own doesn't get a 5+ cover save? :P That seems very odd. It says that the wargear gives the effect from within 6 inches of him just in case you don't know the wording.

This also means that Corbulo can take FNP on a 2+ but only if he gets it from someone else or if he's attached to unit as he can't give it to himself.

Regarding the Standard Bearer, while he's not within 6 inches of himself as the area starts outside of his base, the rest of the unit is, so while he's not on his own that unit gains the benefits. But as soon as he's on his own then yeah he doesn't get the affects. Sorry if that is what you said, it just didn't seem very clear.

Yes, the wording is careless, and perhaps was not intended to exclude the model wielding the piece of wargear, but currently most new versions of such items seem to be worded that way. In 3rd Edition the Kustom Force Field simply gave models within 6" a cover save, without specifying that it was within 6" of the Mek, so it seemed to be 6" within the "field" itself (or rather the generator, i.e. the piece of equipment the Mek was crarrying).

Also, just as Space Marine Standards, according to the rules of the current 4th Edition Kustom Force Fields, the effect does not only apply to models of the owning army, but also to enemy models (in case of Space Marine banners, to enemy Space Marines). That has been corrected by the FaQ though, IIRC.

And yes, I meant to say that if the standard bearer (or the Mek) is with a unit, that unit will then benefit from the effect, and as part of that unit the bearer will as well. Sorry if I jumbled that up.

Cruddace seems to be on the ball when it comes to area effects. Both the Nids and Guard books are very clear about it affecting the model itself as well as the other. Whether the other codexes are intentionally like that or not I don't know but I get the feeling you're right about it being sloppy writing.

The wargear in the BA codex have also been written correctly, as some bubbles simply state it as they used to, while others clearly label the bearer as not receiving the benefit.

Archived