Do you get cover from standing up on a hill?

Token

Only if the hill has some form of cover on it. Hill with walls/woods/ruins/whatever = cover

Bare hill = no cover

If it's debateable, you should discuss it with your opponent beforehand, or just roll a D6 for it.

Ok here is how you do cover. EDIT: For hills.

For a single model if part of their body (head, torso, limbs, no wings, no back packs, no weapons) is covered from view by the firer then they will get a cover saved based on what is obscuring them.

For a unit you look at each model and use the above system to figure of how many are considered in cover and how many aren't. From there you look to see if 50% of the unit are considered in cover or not. If 50% or more are in cover then the unit gets the save, if not then they don't.

In the case of a ridge/hill it is a 4+, although it comes down to POV of the firer. For example if they're just the other side of a hill and you can't see the lower legs of the whole unit then they will get a cover save. If they are stood on a hill in plain sight with nothing blocking LOS then they get no save.

Ashe - that's only true if you are considering individual elements of Terrain for firing through it. If it's a piece of Area Terrain and the model is in/on it, an Infantry model will automatically gain cover.

My point was though that it's possible for a hill with some woods, ruins or walls on it to be counted as area Terrain in and of itself - thus any normal model on the hill will be regarded as being in Cover.

Page 21 of the rule book states quite clearly that hill crests grant a 4+ save. Regardless of whether it is bare or not.

But doesnt this factor in LOS.. i mean direct LOS to a mini standing on a hill would be no save, but if that same hill were blocking LOS (maybe the model is standing on rear slope to shooter) then it would give a cover save?

Page 21 of the rule book states quite clearly that hill crests grant a 4+ save. Regardless of whether it is bare or not.

I thought that list was about reflecting the quality of the cover save something will provide. Like, a wall is better cover than razorwire. In order for the cover to be in effect, it has to partially block LOS to the model.

But doesnt this factor in LOS.. i mean direct LOS to a mini standing on a hill would be no save, but if that same hill were blocking LOS (maybe the model is standing on rear slope to shooter) then it would give a cover save?

This is exactly what it means. The crest is the line at the top that marks the seperation of front and back. Similar to not geting a save if you are infront of a wall, you will not get a save if you are on the near side of a hill, unlike area terain such as a ruin were the enemy can have 100% clear True Line of Sight and you still get a save, with a hill it must at least partialy block LOS, unless of course there is something on the hill to make it area terain.

I think we may have hit a "matter of perspective and interpretation"! It all depends on whether we (the players) agree to play the hill terrain as Area Terrain or not. If we do, the Hill crest will become a 4+ cover save.

However, and I mean this, I do concede in open play it will not grant a cover save.

Before each game I would advise just clarifying with the opponent what the terrain means. Personally I believe Hill Crests should count as "in cover", to simulate the advantage troops have with high ground.

This stresses the importance of agreeing with your opponent, before deployment, how you're treating eah piece of terrain.

We have no big hills, but if we did, I'd treat them as open ground, pure LoS cover rules.

We have small, wooded hills, with defined edges; these are proper area terrain, so standing in front of a tree still gives you a save (reflecting foliage that isn't modelled).

How do you guys do multi-storey ruins? I have a 3-floor building corner with no base; we treat the ground floor as LoS obstacle, but higher floors as area terrain, again reflecting non-modelled debris.

This is exactly what it means. The crest is the line at the top that marks the seperation of front and back. Similar to not geting a save if you are infront of a wall, you will not get a save if you are on the near side of a hill, unlike area terain such as a ruin were the enemy can have 100% clear True Line of Sight and you still get a save, with a hill it must at least partialy block LOS, unless of course there is something on the hill to make it area terain.

I agree. So as you say on a bare hill, on the forward side (in front of the crest) no save. Rear side (behind the crest) cover save. If the hill has been declared area terrain, then cover save wherever you are on the hill as per area terrain rules. The crest being formed by an imaginery line atop the highest point of the hill. I've actually seen 'crestlines' drawn on hills to stop this kind of argument occuring mid game.

Commander Sasha is right. Follow the advice in the BRB and discuss terain thoroughly before any game.

Any piece of terrain offers a cover save. (welcome to the world of 40k, which is not the real world.)

only if agreed on before the game starts. We often use terrain to make the battlefield (read table) look cool, but not do anything.

When I play I go over the terrain with the opponent - we consider all terrain as area terrain as it is basically difficult to have cool "rocky hills" or "woody hills". The hill is taken as just area, worth a 4+ cover save.

We also often use snowdrifts (5+ save, difficult) and farmfields/tall grass (5+ save).

As long as you and your opponent agree what the saves are, no problem.

Best to make sure as the terrain is set up.

When I play I go over the terrain with the opponent - we consider all terrain as area terrain as it is basically difficult to have cool "rocky hills" or "woody hills". The hill is taken as just area, worth a 4+ cover save.

We also often use snowdrifts (5+ save, difficult) and farmfields/tall grass (5+ save).

As long as you and your opponent agree what the saves are, no problem.

Best to make sure as the terrain is set up.

we have cool hills, which we say are 4+ on the side, nothing on the top, difficult on side, nothing on top, etc.

same with certani features, like random shrubs (not hedges, we have those too) and rocks which we ignore but make the images great

for every [piece of terrain, we address it at the start. As such, the answer to the OP really is, whatever you and your opponent agree to.

Archived