Using the Space Wolves dex?

biadetic

Because nothing says "Alpha Legion" like infiltrating Terminators, Space Marine Scouts and 'fleet' for all units. cool.gif And ATSKNF of course.

yes but a shriek build is tier two [it loses a lot if it doesnt start]. a csm army with chosen/veterans plain doesnt work . Its like saying man you want to play WB load up those spawns and possessed and 12 man csm squads and your game . Well your not , because an army like that would suck.

They were more of a honour guard type of unit. In the 3.5 Codex, every unit you gave a veteran skill was promoted to "Veterans" (the clue is kinda in the title).

they were veterans because in the 3.5 dex all csm were ancient [while not all were 10k years old] . the skills were veteran ones , I mean I was translating that damn thing there was nothing about csm losing the csm status and becoming veterans. [unless all of them were always veterans ].

*yaaawn* Oh no, I have usually no cult units in my Night Lords army. That is... bearable. I guess if you take your Alpha Legion to a WAAC tournament you are toast. Good thing I don't do that. I only play for fun, in the local GW, where victory is at your grasp even if you are not fielding a cookie cutter army. I do not really shed a tear for people that play cookie cutter only and wish for more cookie cutter builds, though I do emphasize with people who are forced to play in such an environment and have no other option.

cool for you legatus , but I didnt expect anything else from someone who thinks all chaos legions are identical and all sm are ultra marine clones.

The 3.5 dex gave options for everyone . Someone wanted to play fluff , he could play fluff , someone wanted to play counts as he did , there were 10+ builds out of the book . the new dex builds have nothing to do with WAAC . You want to tell me that a DP is not the best HQ no matter if you play friendly or tournament lists ? check the army list forum , how many biker lords or sorc or HQs on foot do you see [all were used in 3.5] . there are non . check how list made by people who make their list for the first time . with one or two changes they look like chaos tournament lists . and your not going to tell me that beginers on a western forums are all hard core tournament players [because those almost never ask what people think about their list]?

I mean realy I dont know , do you even play this game sometimes . The AL list in 3.5 was weak . if someone played one infiltration unit and deployed it before you[50% of time] you had an undivided list without demons that was 2-3" outside its deployment [and was on foot]. but it had different game play . it was special . how many times does someone have to play a chaos army to get bored [am talking about casual game play here] with it ? a year maybe , less if you play more offten. all builds even if you do something unortodox like taking csm with autocanons/plasma and havocks still work freaking the same as a 2 zerker 2 pm list . the game play both because of ultra grit and out HQ only working in hth is forced on us . Yes it was the same in 3.5 . But A it was to a far lesser extant and B if you got bored with one list [and for AL alone there was at least 3 builds , the shoty one , the hth one and the demon bomb with cultists] you had other legions with different game play . If a new player gets bored with a BL as you call it cookier cutter list , what is he going to change too ? Zerker rush works the same , pms rush works the same . 1ksons dont work at all . NM dont work .

would say that's bogus, but fine, don't play Alpha Legion then. Next you are going to Tell me it is currently not possible to play Dark Angels.

I dont . I think everyone knows I switched to water warrior NM after the new dex came . And as the DA thing goes . Well first of all they have their own dex [sure it is bad but so are NM I play], they have at least 3 different builds [nothing like that for the whole csm codex not just AL] and what is most important till codex SW their list were special . If am playing an AL list that is identical as a IW army and a WB army and a NL army and all those 4 are a clone of a much better BL list [that the same game play only it works better] , then there is no AL .

Pulling a back on topic on using the Space Wolf dex. If it gives you what you want in your army with fluff and rules, then go for it. As a Night Lords player I know the feeling of not having that much choice. So I changed my army feel for Chaos and i'm making a Dark Mechanicum army using the chaos rules. For my NL's i'm using BA and not for the Assault troops but for the fact that I get what I feel are Night Lords in their tactics and play style.

The 3.5 dex gave options for everyone .

The previous Codex Space Marines had options for a lot of Chapters. The previous Codex Eldar supplement had options for a lot of Craftworlds. The previous Codex Imperial Guards had options for different Regiments. I see a pattern, where the Codex Chaos is no exception.

And I know your reply is going to be something along the lines that Chaos Marines can only do one thing with their army list while the other Codices allow for different army types. The Codex Chaos has four exceptional Troop choices that used to be Elite choices (that previously could be made Troops via taking a certain HQ), and it is possible to upgrade other units' stats with more resilience or better offensive stats. If cult units were still Elite choices and you needed a appropriately marked HQ to unlock them as Troops, I suspect that a good deal less people would complain that there are no "different army possibilities" in the Codex.

the new dex builds have nothing to do with WAAC

Pardon me, but statements like "Saying that AL players are set because they can take vets , makes no sense as they are a dead choice in an edition that is build around troops and taking them [vets with infiltration] instead of oblits or even cult units like zerkers or pms" or "right now playing an AL list means you play a weaker clone of a WB or IW list [which are a weaker clone of a BL list]" do sound an aweful lot like WAAC.

You want to tell me that a DP is not the best HQ no matter if you play friendly or tournament lists ?

No, I want to tell you that this does not mean you must take that HQ in all your games, or ever at all. I don't think I have ever used a Daemon Prince with the 4th Edition Codex. It does not seem to be the obvious choice for Night Lords. I don't usually use special characters either, no matter whether they may be some which are hands down superior versions of the basic HQ choices now.

I must have been lucky, because the GW shop I went to the past years did not seem to have a lot of WAAC players. I did not see the same armies again and again. Some tried harder to min max than others, but that is to be expected. If every Chaos force I have encountered would have been the one that is constantly mentioned on this board I might have stopped playing 40K out of sheer boredom. I must be in a unique and privileged position that this was not the case. That I have been playing in a shop where people try different units from time to time and build different lists, often taking units they like or they happen to have.

If every Chaos force I have encountered would have been the one that is constantly mentioned on this board I might have stopped playing 40K out of sheer boredom. I must be in a unique and privileged position that this was not the case. That I have been playing in a shop where people try different units from time to time and build different lists, often taking units they like or they happen to have.

I get that same feeling here alot, my usual lists don't include oblits, daemon princes or cult troops and i get on just fine and win more than i lose. I always try and include what i call a "wildcard" unit like chosen or sometimes even possessed just for the hell of it and while they don't perform the best 100% of the time more often than not they do alot better than i and the person i'm playing against suspected they would.

Chosen incidentally (a unit i have been using in different ways for a while) seem to be more popular now and are creeping into lists alot more than the used to despite the "useless" tag they have received on these boards since the dex first came out.

the strange thing i find about comments made from the jeske are that he'll argue hard there is only one list you can possibly play from the current dex involving oblits, princes, zerkers and/or PM's yet he himself boasts of using the "water NM build" which smacks of arrogance.

it seems only he can play a different build from the usual cookie-cutter list and anyone suggesting they can, is a fool in his eyes.

The rules represent the Black Legion. That is it.

Funny, it reads like the same Traitor Legions list we've had since the long-ago days of 2nd Edition to me. Yes, we don't get special advantages for restricting our army choices like we did in the 3.5 'Dex, but the Traitor Legions existed well before Pete Haines got to them, and have done so quite well ever since.

Geez, that makes me feel so much better about all my Emperors Children conversions (and daemonettes on steeds) from 3.5 and the fact that it is now counts-as Black Legion.

You may as well say GW could drop Necrons and Tau cause they didn't have armies in 2nd. That's not much of a consolation if you've bought and built the frickin' army, though, is it?

The game grows. GW say they try not to invalidate armies that have come before. Well they didn't do a great job in this case. Although I will probably forever count myself lucky I didn't start my planned Lost and the Damned.

Archived