Best Weapon Choice for Venerable Dread

captain sox

Hello!

Just picked up the new Venerable Kit, and it's beauty! Before I put it together, I was wondering what would be the best weapons for it. I know for a fact I'm going to equip him with the Heavy Flamer on the DCCW when he goes into battle with it.

I want to best take advantage of the higher BS, so any advice would be great.

Thanks once again!

I'd go with the Assault Cannon myself.

Assault Cannon + Heavy Flamer + Extra Armour + Drop Pod + Locatoc Beacon is 250 points IIRC, which is handy if you are lazy like me.

I want to best take advantage of the higher BS, so any advice would be great.

For me, that means nothing TL'd because TL + BS5 is kinda overkill.

This means Plasma Cannon, Multi-Melta or Assault Cannon.

Of these 3, the MM and AC work the best with the Heavy Flamer. HF/MM is a true jack of all trades and ready for any kind of situation whereas the HF/AC is mostly an infantry shredder but can work pretty well against armor if need be.

I run mine with Assault Cannon and the DCCW+Heavy Flamer. Rarely misses with the Assault Cannon.

If you want guaranteed hits, take anything twin-linked. Some may say it's overkill, but I say it's a 98% chance of a hit! Venerable Dread with a twin-linked lascannon (or autocannon) and a missile launcher in your backfield is both hard to kill, and shreds transports.

If you are up for a bit of converting, you could do what I did and go for Assault Cannon/Twin Autocannon. Accurate, tough to kill, and very shooty. Shreds medium-light infantry and med-light vehicles. Also, the weapons complement each other nicely (both have the same AP and are within one S of each other). A bit shorter-ranged than other shooty Dread options, but with Venerable you should be able to get close enough to do quite a bit of damage.

Multimelta or assault cannon, combined with a DCCW with heavy flamer. Extra armor is necessary, since you're already spending lots of points on a dread, so might as well make it do its job properly.

Lascannons are too expensive. Plasma cannons don't make good use of BS5.

If you are up for a bit of converting, you could do what I did and go for Assault Cannon/Twin Autocannon. Accurate, tough to kill, and very shooty. Shreds medium-light infantry and med-light vehicles. Also, the weapons complement each other nicely (both have the same AP and are within one S of each other). A bit shorter-ranged than other shooty Dread options, but with Venerable you should be able to get close enough to do quite a bit of damage.

+1

Just bought some guard autocannons for the job.

I'd say Plasma only if you know you're going to be facing a lot of MEQ spammage, as an accurate Plasma Blast can be a thing of joy. Otherwise, I'd agree with the majority in the case of the AC and HF, as this is possibly the most flexible. Never overlook the fact that an assault cannon can, with a lucky rending roll, give you a glance or penetrate against AV 14, which the Plasma can't. While the MM is more reliable in that sense, you lose a lot of anti-infantry goodness. And if you're close enough to melta, then you're almost close enough to assault.

First of all: do you realy need to know that before assembling the model? i did not glue nor magnetize the arms of my dread in place. They move, can be removed, but on the table they stick just fine. I don`t expect this to be any different with the Venerable Dread.

For the weapon: I would say use plasma anyway. Plasma is cheap, powerfull, has quite some range and penmetrates armor like nothing. It does what a weapon should do - if it hits it wounds except the target has an iron halo etc. And for even more destruction you also get one model with a template ;)

The only downside is overheat - but since this does not apply for plasmaweapons on vehicles you are fine.

Imagine: Balistic Skill of 5 means you roll 2s for hits. Strenth 7 means you roll 2s for wounds in nearly all cases and AP 2 means you can even igonre a terminator armor. Sounds like an all around carefree package to me.

First of all: do you realy need to know that before assembling the model? i did not glue nor magnetize the arms of my dread in place. They move, can be removed, but on the table they stick just fine. I don`t expect this to be any different with the Venerable Dread.

For the weapon: I would say use plasma anyway. Plasma is cheap, powerfull, has quite some range and penmetrates armor like nothing. It does what a weapon should do - if it hits it wounds except the target has an iron halo etc. And for even more destruction you also get one model with a template ;)

The only downside is overheat - but since this does not apply for plasmaweapons on vehicles you are fine.

Imagine: Balistic Skill of 5 means you roll 2s for hits. Strenth 7 means you roll 2s for wounds in nearly all cases and AP 2 means you can even igonre a terminator armor. Sounds like an all around carefree package to me.

Actually BS5 with a plasma cannon means you will reduce your scatter by 5 as you dont roll to hit with a plasma cannon.

I suppose I didn't need to know before assembling the mode. But with the Venerable, the weapons are separate from the arms, unlike the regular dread. You only get one of each shoulder assemblies, so you have to decide which version to build. It would be tricky to magnetise the weapons to the shoulder, becuse youd need 2 magnests, one for the weapon, one for the 'ammo box.'

For the weapon: I would say use plasma anyway. Plasma is cheap, powerfull, has quite some range and penmetrates armor like nothing. It does what a weapon should do - if it hits it wounds except the target has an iron halo etc. And for even more destruction you also get one model with a template :lol:

Actually BS5 with a plasma cannon means you will reduce your scatter by 5 as you dont roll to hit with a plasma cannon.

This was more a general anthem to plasmaweapons ^^ But of cause you are right in case of the plasma cannon.

@ Captain Sox:

Uh that realy su**s. For about 35 € I thought they would at least offer every weapon with an extra arm to easily change the wargear. But I had the same problem with my predator last week. I just build it the way I thought it looked best. But me and my mates never play according to the WYSIWYG rule. This rule ist for people with more sisposable income than me^^ (Or very skilled craftsman to not forget about the guys who build some cool stuff from scratch)

I suppose I didn't need to know before assembling the mode. But with the Venerable, the weapons are separate from the arms, unlike the regular dread. You only get one of each shoulder assemblies, so you have to decide which version to build. It would be tricky to magnetise the weapons to the shoulder, becuse youd need 2 magnests, one for the weapon, one for the 'ammo box.'

WRONG! You can put each weapon in just one arm casing, I use the one with no power cell thingy. You simply slot what weapon you want in but it doesn't hold, then put on the dread and because of how it was designed it sticks fine! Seriously buy it, stick the plastic back plate to the arm casing but not the weps. You can slide the weapons in and out (but only when the arm is off the actuall dread, when it is on it seems like it has been glue it fits so snuggly) .

My vote is Assault cannon (which in the ven dread kit is a proper size one the same size as a crusader assault cannon, not a weeny one like the normal dread assault cannon).

WRONG! You can put each weapon in just one arm casing, I use the one with no power cell thingy. You simply slot what weapon you want in but it doesn't hold, then put on the dread and because of how it was designed it sticks fine! Seriously buy it, stick the plastic back plate to the arm casing but not the weps. You can slide the weapons in and out (but only when the arm is off the actuall dread, when it is on it seems like it has been glue it fits so snuggly) .

My vote is Assault cannon (which in the ven dread kit is a proper size one the same size as a crusader assault cannon, not a weeny one like the normal dread assault cannon).

What ammo box do you place on the side? I love the kit, and most likely I'll get some bits to make one of each arm. The Weapons are really nice.

Okay, all this talk about Ven Dreads... I love that kit! I'm gonna get a little off topic as for the tactics. Sorry. Speaking of the arms, if you would like to be accurate on the shoulder pieces matching (and who wouldn't be) it's EXTREMELY easy to magnetize this kit, although it's not even necessary as several have pointed out. You could actually glue together all three weapons in their own casing if you like, and simply don't glue on the complementing shoulder piece for the CC arm. They slide in, and they stay put pretty well. I have bad luck in-game with things rattling around, so I magnetized the kit to keep things firm. Okay, truth be told, I loved the accessories on this kit so much I used a total of 28 magnets to make sure that EVERYTHING was swappable, or pretty close. Either way, it's all too easy to NOT glue this guy together, so settling on your weapons right now isn't really a big deal. Some people just like the solid feel and I understand that, but this model holds together pretty well. As for looks, I used the beefiest shoulder for my Plasma, with the power cell ammo, the regular straight line one with the AC along with the ammo box, and the gently curving elegant one for my Lascannon. Looks great! Although, since none of them are actually glued in I can put the LC in the power cell one if I want to. I think it actually looks better without it. As for magnets on the arms, I have them mounted on the weapons themselves, right where it touches the "stalk", as well as on the stalk piece. I simply slide the weapon into the shoulder and pop the assembly on. Holds very tightly. Now the tricky bit... On the CC arm I mounted a magnet on the BACK side of the shoulder piece, flush, and then one in each of the three alternate shoulders in the same spot. They slide in and stay put. Plus, every magnet on my kit is hidden except for those on the shoulder, and it honestly looks like it's supposed to be there. Man, this was a fun project. The kit's so expensive and beautiful, you want to get your money's worth on it.

You know what....

I MADE A MISTAKE!!

Apologies. You can assemble all the weapons in the kit. I didn't look over the sprues carefully!

As many of you have said... it doesn't matter now what weapon I choose to use before I build it.

sorry for confusing anyone, and possibly implying negative feeback for this product. It is a wonderful kit!

- sox

Archived