We stand in Midnight Clad - A NL Blog

Martox

Ave fraters,

It's been a long time since I posted in these hallowed halls of B&C WIP; but it's been a busy time. Moving to a new place and work in general saps alot of my free time, but I do still keep an eye on the PC&A forums.

I make my return after having read Soul Hunter a while back; and having seen the new Night Lords armies that are starting to appear (including Dan the Deamon's excellent army), I thought it was time I got back into it. Some may remember my Raptor Lord; part of the old army who, sadly, remains unfinished. However, Soul Hunter has given me inspiration to start a new force; untainted by the works of Chaos.

So, how will this work?

- No marks of Chaos. At all. Pure leadership and strength of arms. This also means no Icons; so no re-roll.

- No cult units. This will possibly be the hardest knock for me, as Berzerkers are an excellent unit choice and a personal favourite. It also means my beloved Obliterators will have to bow out.

- Emphasis on the 'Night Lord' units. Raptors and Bikers, though I have little experience of Biker units and what I do have is bad experience.

- Transports. This Night Lords faction will be a fast moving force of terror. Infantry units will have a dedicated transport; the Lord and his Chosen retinue getting a Landraider. Why a 'Raider? Because I can, and it's about time I got the bloody thing painted.

So, with my own personal gauntlet laid down I have to look at it all and simply think 'Bugger. Dug a deep hole this time.'

Anyway, if your still paying attention and not buggered off, here's a badly photo'd picture of my WIP Lord. Made from the SM Chaplain, extensive repair work and copious amounts of greenstuff. Still a bit of work on him to be done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Martox/nlc2.jpg

Comments and criticisms are welcome, as always

Ave Dominus Nox

Sir, you must be a man after my own heart. You're playing Night Lords exactly how I play mine. The force of arms and raw strength. Your Lord WIP is fantastic so far, but save for the shoulder-pad, it really doesn't scream Night Lord to me. I'm assuming you'll be painting lightning on the armor? If so, then that issue won't even matter since the lightning will mark him out instantly.

I also am contemplating using Marks of Chaos only on the Lords to mark something special about them. Not that they are actually dedicated to that God, but have a similar trait. My MOT Lord's 4+ Invul is his master technique with his blade and his ability to dodge, the MOK Lord is simply rage filled, the MOS Lord is running on Combat Stimms, and the MON Lord has extensive bionics. I haven't run them yet like that, but have been itching to do so. Perhaps it could be a good way to represent something unique about your Lord? He wouldn't be using Chaos at all, but would just have a defining trait about him.

Ok, time for a quick update on the Lord.

First, this is just a dry fit. The greenstuff is still curing, so problems will eventually be ironed out when it's dry and I've a stable base to work from. As for the scythe, I'm going to take a dremel to it and file it down so the blade is much thinner.

At any rate, he's nearing completion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Martox/nlc3.jpg

Another update; the minor pieces of work I needed to perform now complete. All I have to do now is wait for the green stuff to dry; before I can begin the process of painting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Martox/ncl4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I raise this thread from wherever it may be!

Anyway. I've done some more work; granted, nothing great, but work. Even then, the photo here isn't great. But it's progress, one of the Chosen I've made to accompany Doc Doom up there.

The painting is attempted with zenith highlighting; using Dan the Daemon's (whom I thank greatly) blue recipe with a slight difference; black wash is added into the parts where the light does not touch.

Anyway; progress. If I can, I'll get a better picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Martox/wip1-1.jpg

He's very dark, and the white helm stands out great against the blue tone. Are you going to keep the rest of the colors that dark?

Looks like a very promising start. Keep it up!

I'm not, now that I actually look at it in the daylight. I've painted him wrong, I suspect, more highlights are necessary on more areas. Plus better photos. As it stands, he's been re-undercoated and I'm waiting for daylight to vanish so I can use my lamp to get proper top down lighting and not be effected by my shoddy blinds not keeping the light out properly.

I will undoubtedly be doing this tonight, as I want to get the system down before I move on to other models. If necessary, I can remodel the unit champion.

Updates later on - with some luck.

Archived