Iron Priest wargear wolfs in an assoult

Niiai

Space Wolves can take wolves as wargear. In there description in states that they are treated as a unit. Or something.

In the FAQ on page 2 right hand side it states that if an independent character with 2 wargear wolves in a pack of bloodclaws is assoulted by an enemy then the enemy can direct his attackson 3 diefernt targets. A the blood claws. B the independent character. C the wargear wolves. I asume, since they are treated as a diferent unit. I am abit baffeled by this, but itis in the FAQ. Now here is the puzzle:

If we interpid the irion priest entry in the SW Codex that the wolves in fact are wargear (there are some conflicting facts here but that are the rules we are using when I and my mates play) what happens in an assoult.

Say that the iron priest (not an independent character, but it is his wolves) with 3 servitors (who are part of the same unit) and 4 cyberwolves are attacking the oponent, what is the majoraty of thoughnes? The iron priest and servitors are all T4 but the wolves are T5. But are they the same unit? And can you direct attacks against eather wolves and the main unit, or is it just one unit? Juding from the FAQ you should be abel to chose.

Please come with your oponion, I am baffeled.

Hi.

The Iron priest, wolves and thralls are 1 unit. There is no IC, so they act in all respects as 1 unit.

So a unit og 1 IP, 4 wolves and 3 thralls would have a toughness of 5 due to the wolves.

Beside the Thralls are T3 :)

The FAQ simply adress Fenrisan wolves bought as wargear by an IC.

These are not bought as wargear, nor are they bought by an IC.

Hope it helps.

Well...actiualy weather they are wargear or part of the unit is not that clear.

The arguments for part of the unit is that they are listed under unit sice (along with the srevitors and the iron priest.)

The arguments that go for the fact that they are wargear is that they are not listed under the iron priest entry in the book section. In fact the only other two places they are listed is under the page for fenrisian wolf pack where it details fenrisian wolves that join a squad as wargear. The other place is the wargear section where they have listed fenrisian wolves and cyber wolves as wargear, and the iron priest is the only character in the book that can take cyberwolves as (potensial) wargear (if you read it like this.) Also by RAI it is very weard that the iron prist who is the only one who has acess to the saga of the "tanks moves faster" also has a squad of beasts (when they are not wargear) witch prevents him from entering a transport and use his saga.

We had a discusion on this on the wolves forum and there are good arguments on both sides.

Now, if we interpit it that the wolves are in fact wargear, how do you resolve the unit 1 iron priest (the character but not an independent caracter), 3 servitors and 4 cyberwolves that cout as wargear. Because I am a bit baffeled from the text on page 2 of the FAQ. It seems to me that you can attack eather the wolves, or the ironpriest/servitor group. But would the Iron Priest and servitors benefit from the T5?

Now, if we interpit it that the wolves are in fact wargear, how do you resolve the unit 1 iron priest (the character but not an independent caracter), 3 servitors and 4 cyberwolves that cout as wargear. Because I am a bit baffeled from the text on page 2 of the FAQ. It seems to me that you can attack eather the wolves, or the ironpriest/servitor group. But would the Iron Priest and servitors benefit from the T5?

That peice of FAQ only applies to IC, so there is no attacking preist/servitor or wolves, its still just one target.

So it comes to if they are wargear then they are beast (no getting in transports) but you could put the preist on a thunderwolf, take wolves (but not servitors) and have a unit that can move 6+1d6 and then charge 12" with 4 S10 hammer attacks, 1 S8 servo attack, and however many S4 wolf attacks at initive.

If they are not wargear then they count as infantry which means if you put the priest on a TW then your still stuck moving infantry speed with your wolves but can get in a transport and use iron wolf saga.

I am sorry frosty but i do not follow you.

If they are part of the unit, then they would be beasts and hence can not go in a transport.

The special wargear wolves states that they can go in a transport (tacing up two slots.)

HOwever, the FAQ treats the IC with the wolves as a seperate unit atached to the pack of blood claws? (I am a bit confused on this) and since he is an IC he can chose to be singeled out of that unit? But the Iron Priest set up is part of a bigger unit and can therefor not be singeled out? Do I have this correct?

the faq is saying that the fenrisian wolves taken as an IC wargear do not prevent him being singled out in combat, but they also don't stop him joining a different unit. it was argued by some that they formed a retinue and so could take wounds directed againts the IC in combat, the faq merely cleared up this idea and says that in combat, the enemy can choose to attack either the wolves, the IC or the squad he is attached to (assuming they are able to direct attacks that way).

the cyberwolves for the iron priest are different, he isn't an IC and therefore cannot be singled out by anyone without a special rule permitting it. As the entry for cyberwolves states they fllow the rules for fenrisian wolves, it is safe to assume that they are allowed to be transported within a vehicle, taking up two spaces instead of one as per the fenrisian wolves rule.

Thank you stinkenheim.

Also, this would mean that the wolves can not be singeled out, and hence they push the majoraty of the Toughnes to 5, and they will be rmeoved when the iron priest dies. Is that correct?

if the majority of the unit were cyberwolves then yes for shooting the T would be 5 which helps the servitors survive against light fire.

I'm of the opinion that the wolves and servitors are wargear of the iron priest so I wold play it that they were removed in the unlikely event that the IP died before the rest of the models were removed.

the last bit is personal opinion though, if your opponent thinks the cyberwolves/servitors form a unit then no they wouldn't be removed as they would not be wargear. in either case though the IP can't be singled out in combat and the majority T would be 5.

Archived