Storm Hawks Librarian Dreadnought

GrimTeef

With the BA codex out, I can finally start using this guy. Been working on him for a bit.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/4/2/94995_md-.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/4/2/94994_md-.jpg

Still have to add the storm bolter to the power fist arm, and then add a Magna-grapple. I've removed the psychic-hawk-looking power, it just didn't work.

Thoughts?

Teef, you're back, at last! :)

Can't wait to see some paint on this guy, looks very promising so far. I esp like the psi-weapon conversion and the over all massive-ness of the dread (but the imp-hawk wasn't that cool really :D).

Nice Libby, going to start the one I plan on making for myself soon.

However have to point out that the Libby can't take the grapple. THe dread has to take only what the upgrade says. Sorry to burst your psychic bubble.

Thanks for your comments guys! I'm going to start painting him soon. Some of my tactical and assault squads need marines to fill them up to 10 strong, so once those are done then this guy goes under the paintbrush.

Eberious - I'm not sure why you say that - what makes you think that the Libby Dread can't take the grapple? It does say in the codex list that he exchanges all wargear for what he comes with, and it doesn't make any mention of the meltagun, but it doesn't say that he can't have something. I can't imagine that the Libby Dread couldn't have Extra Armor, which is also an available vehicle upgrade, so I'm not sure why you say that a Libby Dread can't have a Magna-grapple either...

Thanks for your comments guys! I'm going to start painting him soon. Some of my tactical and assault squads need marines to fill them up to 10 strong, so once those are done then this guy goes under the paintbrush.

Eberious - I'm not sure why you say that - what makes you think that the Libby Dread can't take the grapple? It does say in the codex list that he exchanges all wargear for what he comes with, and it doesn't make any mention of the meltagun, but it doesn't say that he can't have something. I can't imagine that the Libby Dread couldn't have Extra Armor, which is also an available vehicle upgrade, so I'm not sure why you say that a Libby Dread can't have a Magna-grapple either...

Says in the Codex that

"Upgrade to a furioso libby, exchanging ALL wargear for BFist (with SBolter), smoke launcher, psychic hood and force weapon."

Grapple is wargear for the Furioso, I asked the manager at my local GW if the libby dread could take one, he said no only what I have mentioned in the above quote. I'll ask again as if he can then I'll be taking a grapple. But by all means model one, if players allow you to use it then do it.

Really like this one! Will probably be using this for some motivation when I make my own Libbie dread. The force weapon is a style that I think realy works, usually people try to give the dread an actuall weapon, but it tends to look to clumsy. This fits in perfectly.

What did you use for the Psy-hood?

I have to agree with Eberious about the magna-grapple. I was going to do the same thing and add one to mine but the rules say that it replaces all war gear with the Librarian upgrade. :(

I think that you are loosing the options in order to balance out the fact that you get the powers upgrade.

Alienerd - haha, yeah, these guys were my first painted army, and I add to them from time to time. The tinboyz are getting painted pretty soon, but since I'm so close to a fully painted 2500+ point army I wanted to finish them soon. After my stinkin' Lootas get finished, ugh, those are annoying.

Deuce - thanks!

Eberious - thanks for explaining your thoughts on that. I still am not convinced, though! :) It just doesn't make sense to me since I could see the libby Dread being allowed to take Extra Armor and a Searchlight, but not the Grapple? I dunno, it seems odd to me. I plan on making the grapple magnetic, in any case, so i can take it off if I can't spare the points.

Razblood - I used Apoxie putty, it's a two-part putty like greenstuff is, but it smooths nicely with water and becomes less dense like clay when a lot of water is added to it. I have a lot of trouble with greenstuff myself, so I don't tend to use it much. Or at all.

Terminatorinhell - thanks man! Yeah, it's been a long while. A new codex like the BA that is right up my chapter's alley gets me up and about though!

Alexander - Originally the hood was a cut down marine shoulder pad, like my Librarian conversion was done, but the hood just wasn't big enough, it didn't have any real visual impact. So I made this one with some strips of plasticard, placed on top of and on the sides of the head, and then used the Apoxie putty to make the curved sections on the sides that joined all the pieces together for the 'hood' look. The wires are just bent plastic rod, small thickness, pushed into place after holes were drilled into the topmost plasticard piece of the hood.

Doghouse - really? You think so? Hmm. I'll have to ask around some more, I dunno... I can see where you and Eberious might be right though, as the abuse could be there. Just seems weird to say that they can't have Extra Armor and a Searchlight... but I can see where the Blood Talons wouldn't be an option because you'd need two of those and the Force Weapon is a mandatory choice... Hmm.

Harmony - the blade does have an edge on the underside of the blade, kind of like a halberd or an axe would. The topmost edge is flat, though. Hard to tell in the pics since the blade itself is white currently, and it's on a white background.

Yeah that's the way I'm reading it which is strange not being able to take extra armour and searchlight or heavy flamer. Like you say it's the way that it's written the codex that causes the confusion.

To be honest I'm not one hundred percent certain though because it says "exchanging all wargear" which implies everything but it's implied rather than stated anything other than the basic set up before options. Technically speaking the way it reads if you took the Librarian upgrade as the first option then you'd be replacing just the basic wargear the dreadnought comes with so anything that you took after this wouldn't be replaced. If you took it as the last option then anything you took as a wargear option before that would be replaced so you'd be wasting points.

Purely because it's the last option on the list I'm assuming that it replaces everything taken before it.

It seems a little odd that they can't take extra armour though, but a dreadnought with extra armour, a magna-grapple, heavy flamer and the Wings of Sanguinius could make for a seriously nasty character to deal with.

I was going to stick one on mine but am going to wait.

EDIT: In order not to bog your log down with boring rules stuff I posted a thread in the Blood Angels forum to see what others think.

Here :D

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the {almost) finished pics of my Storm Hawks Librarian Dread - Honored Brother Viremos (from latin for Strength of mind). Just needs a little damage and dust, and he'll be all done. For now though, he's all shiny-new and good enough for his school pictures...

http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/at2/2010/4/30/a2ff270e928c60b0e2fdd1ea66d5b803_186.jpg

http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/at2/2010/4/30/aaa9751d7fdfafbe393e8c1977551732_186.jpg

http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/at2/2010/4/30/5ef8a5248fc7684126f8057f25de5565_186.jpg

http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/at2/2010/4/30/3380050b735d23494f264b8e5eabdfdb_186.jpg

http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/at2/2010/4/30/a9f512635e729abbb3fd318a0fa2778d_186.jpg

I have seen this conversion all over the net, but i have always tried to find it painted and finished, i never considered finding it here until now by accident. I really like it, but i have just painted the fist with different shades of blue. I am going to try to resmeble might of heroes power and i was thinking of having a marine with close combat weapons on the base of the dreadnought and paint him in the same way as you have with your psychic energy.

What do you think?

thanks

antique_nova

Archived