troop count

A lot would depend on what else you are using. Personally I would push it up to include another tactical squad if that is all that you are using as troops. I use 5 squads from troops (DeathRaven) which ends up as 7 scoring units. I have found this to be really useful at times. Especially against armies like 'nids who could easily have 6 large troop units at that point level.

That is just my opinion though.

Depends on the army but my general rule of thumb is the basic two troop choices at 500pts then an additional troop choice per every extra 500pts over that. So at 2k I'd be bringing 4.

While I find this true for space wolves since they have such good troop choices, I find other armies needing specialized tactics/numbers to work

For example at 2k points for other armies I try for:

Tau: 4-5 troop choices hiding in reserve

Eldar: 2 Tough(ish) troop choices and 2-3 other troop choices in reserve

IG: Heh, bring as many or few as you want

CSM: Bring your troop choices for the roles you want to fulfill.

Depends on the army but my general rule of thumb is the basic two troop choices at 500pts then an additional troop choice per every extra 500pts over that. So at 2k I'd be bringing 4.

Hey lost,

According to your algorithm, you'd be taking 5 units at 2000:

0500: 2

1000: 2+1=3

1500: 2+1+1=4

2000: 2+1+1+1=5

Cheers, Paul.

I have a question for my fellow battle brothers.

Is 30 tactical marines good enough for a 2250 game? Or should there be at least 4 tact squad?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

The real answer to this is what else is in your army (I know it sounds like a cop out but stick with me).

If the rest of your army is all tanks then the vast majority of the infantry shooting will be targeting your 30 marines. Got quite a lot of Sternguard, Terminators and other support infantry? Then I suspect 30 will be sufficient.

Also are they being transported? What is their battlefield function?

To be honest in order to win any game of 40K you only NEED 1 scoring unit, sufficiently hidden until the last turn you can essentially block the rest of the objectives and hold the only uncontested one. However during the course of the game there will come a time when it becomes turey shoot for the scoring units, unless you can provide enough better/more important targets to your enemy.

Again it really comes down to what else is in your army, what are you going to be using your tacticals for and how many objectives you really think you need? Remember you only have to score 1 more than your opponent and not all of them.

Wan

I only ever field 2, maybe 3 troops, and most of the time, they're 5 man scout squads. This gives me room and points for things that can actually affect the game in a meaningful way. Tactical Squads are typically not very good at anything, and taking them always makes me feel like I'm lugging around a lot of dead weight. This only applies to vanilla space marines, of course, so armies with troops that are actually worth their weight in points can afford to take lots of troops.

So... If you're playing Vanilla, take only 2, and take more only if you run out of the other slots. If you're playing an army like Chaos marines, then take a lot of troops (Zerkers and Plague marines FTW!).

Tactical Squads are as effective as you let them be.

I wouldnt go into anything between 2k and 2500 with less than four scoring units, and Id prefer 5-6. I dont care if those are scouts, tacs, sterngaurd with pedro, bikes.... it all works. But I feel your really shorting yourself tactically with anything less.

Why? Because as your opponent, Id laught a bit if you brought anything less.

NOTHING effects the game more than a unit holding the objective uncontested at the end of the game.

Depending on your tactics, at the 1500/2000 mark you should be bringing at least 3 units of Troops no matter of what stripe they are - i.e. Bike Squads, Tac squads.

What you should never do is use an SC special rule to provide Troops; I know theres one SC that does this, though I always get confused between Kantor and the SW as to who grants what.

Tactical Squads are your lifeblood, fail to use them and you are doomed to fail.

If you only take the minimum Troops choices - two IIRC - then that is only two units that need to be wiped out to prevent you from winning the game.

The two IC follow slightly different rules. Pedro makes Sternguard Scoring. Logan Grimnar makes Wolfguard Troops.

Didn't have the Codeii on me at the time, so couldn't check.. So thanks!

So, as I was saying, you should never use a rule like that of Grimnar to get Troops... 'specially when you can have Grey Hunters :whistling:

What you should never do is use an SC special rule to provide Troops

Why on earth would you follow this arbitrary rule? It's not as if Pedro dies and you suddenly lose your scoring Sternguard...

I field two LSS Scout squads (Outflanking) and two Sternguard Squads with Pedro and a Libby.

The Sternguard always take the game for me.

*Edit*

And yes I realize that my Sternguard are not "Troops" but I believe you were referring to their ability to score.

Archived