Pychic hood=psi power?

I just got myself one of those fancy librarians because someone told me its a great HQ choice for low Point games.

It also helps against that annoying chaos witcher who always lashes my guys around.

But there is a question: The librarian may choose between 2 psi-powers at the beginning of the game and he may use ONE psi-power in his players turn. Do the pychic hood and his psi-weapon which allow him to instant kill a modell also count as psi powers? I mean - do I have to choose weather I want to fire something at the enemy OR block one of his spells OR use my psi weapon?

Regards

Tony

Using the hood does not count as a psychic power. It is a passive ability.

Using the force weapon to insta-kill an enemy DOES count as a psychic power. You can still use it as a normal weapon power weapon, but to use it's insta-kill rule it counts as a psychic power.

However, it does not count against the maximum number of powers you can take, just the amount you can use in one turn.

Cadarn is spot on.

the Librarian would have his two psychic powers, plus the ability to kill the enemy outright using his force weapon. all three of those would be psychic attacks and could be stopped or influenced by the numerous anti-psyker abilities in the game. they all count towards the one power per turn limit too.

psychic hoods however ar not psychic powers, they may be used multiple times during the turn and do not count towards the limits imposed on casting spells.

Ok thank you.

It is nice to hear that you can use the osychic hood as often as you need it.

Furthermore it is not realy tragic that you cant use a psipower AND the instant kill. I would avoid close combat with the librarian any way since no matter whcih powers or wargear you use he unfortunately lacks the numer of attacks to "bring em the pain".

The libby is no longer a brutal CC monster so he would not be at his best in CC anyway.

But still, you have the option of upgrading him to an epistolary so that he can use 2 powers each turn. (But only one can be a shooting type psychic attack as you may only fire one shot.) The second can be a non shooting attack or the use of your force sword/axe/staff/rubberducky...

Considdering the huge ammount of units that have eternal warrior though I'd save the points for that for something else that's usefull. Not a lot of multi wound creatures are the type that the librarian can 1. hurt (he just S 4) 2. survive a round of CC (he's only T4 and no natural Inv. save and only 2 Wounds) 3. Kill with the Force weapon (Many beasties have Eternal warrior).

So anything with a lot of wounds is usually best shot to bits at range, let the librarian support your army. Which is what he's better/best at.

Using the hood does not count as a psychic power. It is a passive ability.

Using the force weapon to insta-kill an enemy DOES count as a psychic power. You can still use it as a normal weapon power weapon, but to use it's insta-kill rule it counts as a psychic power.

However, it does not count against the maximum number of powers you can take, just the amount you can use in one turn.

It's worth noting that the limitation on Psychic Power use is on a per player turn basis. So you can use two psychic powers in your own turn, and then use the Force Weapon in your opponents turn quite legally.

Considdering the huge ammount of units that have eternal warrior though I'd save the points for that for something else that's usefull. Not a lot of multi wound creatures are the type that the librarian can 1. hurt (he just S 4) 2. survive a round of CC (he's only T4 and no natural Inv. save and only 2 Wounds) 3. Kill with the Force weapon (Many beasties have Eternal warrior).

I would not say that there there is a huge number of units with Eternal Warrior; with the exception of the Chaos Daemons (and a Librarian would have no chance against a Bloodthirster in melee anyway) the rule is limited to one or two special characters in newer codices, while the older ones usually have ID protection as a very expensive one-per-army piece of wargear.

That said, the Librarian is not the best choice for melee against most opponents; base two attacks at strength four and initiative four is just not that impressive. If you want to kill things with a force weapon, ally in a Grey Knight Grand Master. The Marine Librarian's real strength is his psychic powers; the force weapon is a useful in some situations but not an overwhelmingly great weapon in a Librarian's hands.

Archived