An issue that 'Bugs' me...

ArmouredWing

Been a while since I put a question to the OR forum and this will probably be cleared up in a jiffy (I've not got my BRB to hand so forgive me if this is a little elementary) but if you are drawing a clear LoS on an infantry model which stands taller than intervening infantry models does it still benefit from a cover save?

Put into real terms this refers to a Zoanthrope (crappy, crappy model!!! the size should make it a MC) being shot at when there are gaunts in front of it. The size of the Zoan means you can draw a clear LoS but we've been playing that it still benefits from the cover save granted by the intervening gaunts.

Answers on a postcard please...

as it is not a MC it still gets the cover save. If it was a MC due to the majority of the mass of the model being at the top (tiny tail on the bottom, massive head at the top) less than 50% model will be obscured (gaunts are short) meaining no cover save.

technicly due to the way units provide cover saves, tracing line of sight between models in unit provides the save, so even if you have 100% clear LOS, but a the tail of the thrope is below the headline of the guants, he will get a save. Not that a cover save will do much for a zoanthrope what with their 3+ inv save. And trust me, you do not want Zoanthropes to be MC, as the only penalty that MC have is the cover save issue (which is pretty big), but the zoanthrope wouldnt care, so do you realy want to give thropes power weapons, 2d6 vs vehicles, and move through cover (which they lost in 5th ed).

Providing that some part of the Zoanthrope model is either behind or between the Gaunts, the Zoanthrope gets a cover save. If you can fire over the top of the Gaunts to see the whole Zoanthrope, then it doesn't. Given that Gaunts are pretty low to the ground, this means that any firer more than 1" above ground level will probably have a clear shot.

However, the major question in my mind is why this matters given that the Zoanthrope has a invulnerable save of 3++.

Heh heh heh, yes, inv save, i forgot about that and can't quite remember why the issue came up in the first place whilst playing my first game against new nids over the weekend.

I guess this would only ever be an issue when taking shots at it using a psycannon, something i wasn't doing when the subject came up.

Anyway, like I said, crappy model, crappy scaling and something so visable should never benefit from cover!

Rant over folks thanks for the responses.

However, the major question in my mind is why this matters given that the Zoanthrope has a invulnerable save of 3++.

Psycannons/psy rounds = pretty much the only reason I can think of.

Null Zone is another one. Making one 4+ save is slightly better then twice 3+. (50% vs 44,4%)

Archived