Re-vamp-ing my old Dreadnoughts

I've been working on my Blood Angels Dreadnoughts and thought I would share them with you.

I bought two Venerable dreadnought kits and used parts to spread around my older models. I still have loads of bits left!

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq292/Troggman/Blood%20Angels/NormalDreadnoughts.jpg

The librarian is one of the Venerable kits (as will my death company one, when I get some parts for the right arm). The force weapon arm is just made up with bits I had at hand and some green stuff. If people would like more details I'd be glad to tell you.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq292/Troggman/Blood%20Angels/LibbyDreadnought.jpg

The Furioso's are a collection of Venerable bits slaped onto a standard Furioso kit with Trygon spikes for claws. I think they work well as blood talons with out being over the top.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq292/Troggman/Blood%20Angels/FuriosoDreadnoughts.jpg

Let me know what you guys think?

yeah def loving the librarian dread, out did you make the force weapon? can't wait to see it painted!

The wrist is made from the two other shin plates from the Venerable kit. Just a bit of filing to get the raised areas off (could leave them on if that the look you wanted) and a bit of clipping to make it come together in an oval shape. I used a brush sleeve over a bit of plastic rod for the arm attachments with some wire and plastic cable. Bits of cable from the flamer and spare arm parts in the venerable kit. I use thick plasticard for the blade glued it in place then filled the wrist with green stuff. The main housing is just one of the normal gun mount arms, it's gives it some extra reach over a normal arm as it's a little longer. I drilled holes in the bottom for the rods to fit in on an angle and filled the front face with plasticard. Then add details to taste.

Also posted on the Libby Furioso thread. Tooooooo Sweeeeet!

Bits lists wanted. Love the trygon bits. More. More. More. Are the two bottom ones just Metal Furiosos with some vendread bits and trygon bits? Really? looks like a different model.

So simple in the conversion but super in the presentation. I think that is what I like best.

Thank you teeef.

On the Furioso's the only green stuffing is on one the the fronts I carved off a sword and replaced it with a blood drop (the one on the right of the picture). Also just a little to fill the odd gap, after all it is a metal model. As for a parts list I've listed every thing I've used in this thread nothing out of the ordinary realy.

But as you asked so nicely.

Parts:

1 Venerable Dreadnought kit.

Some Devastator bitz, the parchment and scroll decorations that hardly anyone uses.

A brush protector sleeve.

A rod of plasticard that just fits in the above sleeve (to look like a piston)

A piece of wire rod.

A thick section of plasticard for the blade.

A thin bit of plasticard if you have it (thick will do).

A small chunk of green stuff.

The Librarian was made from the Venerable dreadnought kit. I used the plane panels as I wanted to attach parchment and scrolls to it from the devastator boxed set. The loin cloth is also from the same kit. The force weapon arm was a normal gun mount. With the front face blocked up with a piece of plasticard. And some holes drilled at an angle for the plasticard rod to go in later.

The fist was made from the other shin plates (I'm sure you could use either or) cut and glued into and almost round oval. The detail was removed first to avoid to much stress on the piece while the glue set. I then cut the brush sleeve into two halves and positioned it in the back of the wrist housing at an angel I liked.. I then placed, glued then cut the plastic rod and put it in a final position to check how it fit * I didn't glue it in yet*

The blade was then roughly measured and cut out of the plasticard then gently filed into a GW type sharpened blade, being careful to keep it even round the curve. Once this was done I glued the blade in place and filled the wrist with green stuff and then added some little detail bits to the edge of the blade to break up the large-ish flat area of it. Again just bits from the Dreadnought kit.

I then placed and glued the arm into it's mounting and went about adding some details. The plastic wire was part of the heavy flamer and under side of the gun mount. I used this to add detail to the arm workings as well as the Librarians head. To add a little more contrast to this I used the wire rod and bent it to look more flexible and placed a few bits around the arm workings and face. I used green stuff afterwards to make the joins to the dreadnought look real. I also put a fairly large blood drop on the outside of the wrist, made from green stuff. I know the picture doesn't show it, I'll try get an other picture up soon.

Most of this can be done to taste and easily made unique with very few modifications.

I'm not so good at tutorials so any questions about it I'd be glad to answer.

Thank you glider0880.

I think the addition of the "loin cloth" and wires really help to make the torso look finished. And not like I just left some bits off a Venerable dreadnought.

As for a full tutorial I'm not sure I'll be able to do better then the one above. At least not with out making a new one from scratch to take photo's of.

Sorry I think you slightly misunderstood. I would just like a bit of an idea as to how you got the space marine body inside the Dreadnought Torso.

Also really looking forward to your death company dread...Good Luck!

It's just the new Venerable dreadnought kit. You can leave it open like this or use one of four front styles that you can mix and match.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived