That nagging voice in the back of my head..

I've got an Ultramarines army that I just finished building.. I'm still painting some of them, but everything is assembled.. and I've got this voice in the back of my head that keeps talking to me.

Chaos is calling.

I'm reading through the C:CSM right now, to see what is what.. but maybe some of the more educated people here can explain some of the principle play style differences between a chaos army and a codex army.

Also.. without doing a massive repaint - some modification obviously needed - how could I convert my Ultras to Chaos if I wanted to?

Ultras (any reg s/m's) will be alittle more shooty, chaos will be alittle more hth. The new sm dex is better IMO, more "refined", more options, more ways to build armies that play different.

I don't see anyway to change an UM army to a chaos army that would look 1/2 way decient, without massive repaint, spripping and much modification. I personally wouldn't do it. If I decided I wanted a s/m army (it would be silver skulls if anyone was wondering), I would just start from scratch. Not only would I not destroy my existing army that I had wked hard (well kinda hard) on. It would actually be less work to make one from scratch then to convert one to another.

Also .. how could I convert my Ultras to Chaos if I wanted to?

Don't touch them at all. Call them Alpha Legion & you're set (the Alphas are basically cross-dressers, in a manly, non-Slaaneshi sort of way).

Seriously: use the smufs as proxies to get a feel for Chaos, then take it from there.

Say your ultras are traitors. Make up why Ultras have devoted themselves to (insert god here) for cult units.

imo, CSM are more centered around mid range fights. (unless your khorne). Our terminators and basic troop CSM are the best examples of this since they can roll with bolter fire or close combat if they can't (helps ensure we can consistently win at mid range). Otherwise, our CC oriented troops aren't incredibly amazing.

On another note, you may be suffering from "the grass is greener" syndrome. Try out another chapter and another way of playing SM before delving into Chaos.

Dont.. The playstyle is not different enough from SM, you can achieve something roughly the same with your SM if wanted. Wait till the next Chaos Codex, right now you will be dissapointed after a while as the Chaos codex is really bland.

There are some exceptions:

-You dont mind playing with the same kinda lists over and over again, as long as it fits with your playstyle.

-You really like Meq armies but want flying MC's in it. (deamon Princes)

-You really want hardcore assault troops as troops in your army. (berzerkers)

-You really want troops who just refuse to die (Plagues), but then again the same can be achieved with taking just more marines eh

Archived