Daemon Price and a Crazy Idea

ntgcleaner

So, I was looking at the Daemon Prince, and frankly, I am not impressed with him. Sure, the model is done very well, though I am into MORE armor! I like the nicely armored marines and great modeling done there... Anyways - aside from not exactly liking the model too much (Just personal preferrence), I don't like the look of wings either!

It seems pretty standard to have a DP with wings. I mean, every list I see, that has a DP, has wings on him! I like the idea of wings, I love moving 12" at a time! but I hate how the wings look. (That's why i'm into 40k, not fantasy... I like armor!)

My concern is this.

From a fluff point first: Is it plausable that a Daemon prince scavanged some Jet pack pieces and made one big enough for himself (I'll explain where i'm going in a minute), or throughout the thousands of years in the Warp, they kind of just grew onto his back?

From a tournament point of view: Since wings and Jet packs cost the same ammount of points on most models, and they do the exact same thing, would this be legal to have a Jet pack instead of wings?

Some of you may be saying "Where are you going to find a jet pack big enough?". My answer? "Easy" - My plan is buy a Whirlwind and use the huge rocket packs as two jet pack turbines (I need another rhino anyways). I would cut off (or not glue in - whichever way the sprues work) the missiles and maybe even make circular short fat tubes to go on the bottom, like normal packs, only bigger. Something like that - I will post WIP pics if I start to do this.

What do you all think?

Aahh Beautiful Back story! I like the Death Guard scheme a lot though. Did Mortarion have wings when he emerged? or should I just not care about that? (A pic in the lexicanum shows him green with wings)

only the chaos faq says that to get wings rules you have to model them like wings. cant use jump packs with or without counts as to get wings rules.

Is that in regards to lords and other little people because they can use transports? With a DP I would wish you luck finding a transport you can fit him in anyway, you are correct however that a comment is made about wings and jetpacks :< details I cannot remember.

Up until the FAQ you could get away with Counts-as (you still can for local club games with opponent's permission) or in friendly games. The intent is of course to avoid having jump pack lords ride in Rhinos & 'Raiders. However by RAW.. you know how it goes.

Q: Does taking 'Wings' classify a model as jump infantry?

A: No, it simply allows the model to move like jump infantry. Note that the model must actually be converted to have a pair of wings rather than a jump pack.

As for modelling them with a jump pack, it has been done before and I prefer the look of a pack to those of giant wings. example (Chronophague's DP)

Am i the only one who thinks GW are directly messing with their own VIEW on the hobby? How many times have we been told we should convert/ make unique armies when they turn around and stop us?

On the up-side, I REALLY like the idea and i think that'd work :lol:

Thanks,

RabidMaggot93

Well the page before the list of FAQs says that they are not official rules and are what they use 'at the office' and so no one HAS to use them, it's just what they use for those grey areas. The only official bit that should be used is the Errata.

This has been discussed on here b4, but more specificly the guy was asking about using a dread w/ giant jumppacks to represent a DP. Since you like armor so much, you could go with a dread with jumppacks and leave the DP model out altogether. IMO that would look better then a DP with rockets strapped to his back , ah la Wil E. Coyote.

Thank you for all of the answers!

This has been discussed on here b4, but more specificly the guy was asking about using a dread w/ giant jumppacks to represent a DP. Since you like armor so much, you could go with a dread with jumppacks and leave the DP model out altogether. IMO that would look better then a DP with rockets strapped to his back , ah la Wil E. Coyote.

I was thinking that as well. Maybe GS some slime pustules and stuff like that... I would definitely have to take a look. Maybe try to cut up a dread model to fit on some obliterator legs? or even the regular DP legs?

only the chaos faq says that to get wings rules you have to model them like wings. cant use jump packs with or without counts as to get wings rules.

I was afraid of that, the official ruling always bites me in the butt. I think I'll buy something cheap with some wings on it and just prime it, then magnetize it so if the guy i'm playing is a Jerk, I can just switch it. As long as it's on my list right?

I was afraid of that, the official ruling always bites me in the butt.

well to be honest this is the only thing that works like that in 5th ed . no other unit or options has to be modeled in a counts as edition . , otherwise and lets not kid ourselfs here , everyone would be using jumppacks for their HQs with wings counts as because they are cheaper.

I never thought of the Tau thing before, though I want more of a space marine look, I kind of wanted to make motarion, but - this'll do.

Here is a sneak peak of what I did last night. I am making a WIP after I finish, and I'm just taking pictures as I go.

http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/38533/2673455400068943964S425x425Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/44911/2422699110068943964S425x425Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb28.webshots.com/38811/2620240060068943964S425x425Q85.jpg

I know, they are HUGE!!!!! but I really did want to overexaggurate the size of them (take a look at wings these days! they are gigantic!), so I got a Space Marines Whirlwind and cut up the missile launcher. I bought two cheap snap together airplane models from my hobby shop and used their front nose engine/prop as the back thrusters. I think they are all pretty good sizes together. It looks almost like a regular Jet pack! (I think it does anyways) I kept the top piece long so I can add more icons and whatnot, Also, it seems like he would need to be more stable. I may actually add the stabilizer wings from the airplane on this thing too, I'll see after I'm done with this.

Sorry for the mess too, The tape is holding up his arm that I just GS'd on and my DP package didn't come with a monsterous creature base! It came with a terminator base... is this normal?

So, what do you all think? Besides what most will say; "It's too big".

I think that FAQ only applies to models that can take either wings or a jump pack, such as the chaos lord.

Regardless of what you model on a Daemon Prince, it is pretty obvious that it is taking wings. A Daemon Prince will never have the ability to count as normal jump infantry like a lord can.

Archived