The Iron Warrior, the Alpha Legionnaire and the Dark Gods

Hey everyone, I was just curious as to know how the Iron Warriors and the Alpha Legion worship the Chaos gods and to what extent do they worship them? I understand that the IW and AL are not zealous or religious but does that mean that they dont call upon the Dark gods at all? Or do they actually praise and build monuments and make sacrifices to the Chaos gods but just not on a huge fanatical scale like the rest of the other legions (especially the Word Bearers)

Cheers!

The IW are paranoid enough not to worship anything but Perturabo and technology. For them, a daemon is a tool, a source of power. The power of the gods can be harnessed and be put to use. Possessed machines, daemon weapons and the unfleshed are the results of this attitude - practical applications of destructive force, not vain displays of self-subordination like temples and monoliths.

Of course that does mean that the AL, IW or NL have to make some concessions to the dark gods, even if they (at least initially) do that in order to obtain that patrons power and not because they are truly devoted to him. There are instances in fluff where Champions of those Legions exhibit the usual powers of one blessed by the Dark Gods, like the Warsmith ascending to daemonhood in "Storm of Iron", the Night Lords conducting summoning rituals on a global scale in the Codex Chaos Space Marines or the Night Lord who more and more gets devoted to Khorne in "Soul Hunter" (I think there was such an IW in "Storm of Iron" as well).

In the case of the Alpha Legion... who knows... Are they loyal to the Emperor, Have they sides with Chaos for the Emperor (not on his orders) or are they warriors of Chaos? Maybe all of the above, all I can tell you is that this message is endorsed by Alpharius.

We are no puppets to the Gods of Chaos, we're merely fed up with the Emperor and just "happen" to take side with a Primarch that was infact a puppet of Chaos.. Blame it on Chaos, they say.. well, we only use daemonic powers as tools, though a few in our ranks are so simple-minded that they are lured towards the God of Blood and Slaughter, or the Fateweaver..

As it has been said. They don't 'worship' the chaos gods. Instead they use the 'entities of the warp' as tools. I don't know about the AL. But the IWs do make deals with the demons of the warp, of course being paranoid IWs they make plans based on the idea that the demon will turn on them. They treat the things in the warp more as unreliable allies than they do as anything else. I don't know about the AL, but I imagine the NLs treat them in a similar way to the IWs.

So in short.

NOT: Worship

YES: You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

Possess my tank, and I'll make sure to use it to kill lots of stuff so you can have more skulls. Or.. possess my tank, and I'll use it to tear down the enemies' walls so your bezerkers have an easier time getting to the enemy.

I recall from the old White Dwarf Alpha Legion IA there was mention of Alpha Legion marines who had physically mutated, and these warriors would reveal their mutations to the enemy in combat in order to gain a psychological advantage.

And if you follow the fluff in the latest Codex: Space Marines, there's an account of White Scars and Raven Guard taking down a Daemon Prince in command of an Alpha Legion force. (Of course, as an Alpha Legion fan I naturally assume that it was all a subtle ploy to distract the two Chapters from the Alpha Legion's real goals.) :D

So there are indications in background material that at least some of the Alpha Legion are willing to utilize Chaos mutations and powers in pursuit of their goals.

And if you follow the fluff in the latest Codex: Space Marines, there's an account of White Scars and Raven Guard taking down a Daemon Prince in command of an Alpha Legion force. (Of course, as an Alpha Legion fan I naturally assume that it was all a subtle ploy to distract the two Chapters from the Alpha Legion's real goals.) ;)

Ah but of course, it all makes sense now. Voldorius unleashes bloodtide, attracts attention, loyalists follow. The Khan and some Raven Guard show up and fighting begins. Voldorius is beheaded, and then his head is mounted in the White Scars fortress monastery, allowing him (or well, a part of him) to infiltrate a First Founding chapter's best protected fortress with consummate ease. Just as planned!

Seriously though, the actual loyalty of the Alpha Legion is unknown and I hope it stays that way.

Archived