The Dark Knights

Not really. Well... mostly not really. The Dark Knights is a placeholder name for my army that has just sorta stuck (courtesy of one of my good friends). And I won't lie, Brutus Vayne wouldn't be the worst Chaos Lord name ever, although these guys don't dress up like bats. In the interest of cutting this rambling short, I present you with the simplified essence of my preening, egotistical jerkwads.

Abbreviated Background: The Dark Knights have always been a chapter focused on perfection. It is standard for a battle-brother to make a vow before battle, usually something impressive (kill the enemy commander, fell an carnifex bare-handed, etc). While under the vow, the brother's weapons are chained to his armor, and success gets him a tabard proving his victory. What started out as simple friendly competition slowly devolved in a high-drama affair of one-up-manship and quickly a rift formed between those that could easily achieve and those that could not. The turning point comes at the conclusion of the Hellreach Crusade.

Racing to beat all other Imperial forces to the doomed little sub-sector of Hellreach, the Dark Knights encountered surprisingly heavy resistance from the heretical natives. They fought out with appealing for aid nor backing out, eager to stab at the heart of the enemy despite the cost, hoping to send the other traitors fleeing in disarray. The plan worked, but while the crusade's captain was enjoying his costly victory, a peasant approached him with a knife, murder in his eyes. The captain all but ignored him at first, which cost him an eye. Enraged at himself and the peasant, he moved to crush the frail man, never once landing a blow and growing further incensed. For an hour the man eluded death, until he had worn the captain down into a desperately swinging madman, frothing in rage at his own failure.

"You have the desire and passion required for greatness," he said in an otherworldly voice, his first spoken words to the captain ever," but lack horribly skill. I can give you the skill you do desperately need, if you do service in my name." To which the captain immediately barked, "I'll do whatever it takes!" The man smiled before fading from view in the rubble-strewn landscape, "I know you will."

Current Organization: The essence of this renegade force is conflict. Since turning to Slaanesh, those that excel within the chapter have become pinnacles of marinehood, resplendent and bedecked in purity seals and tabbards commemorating their lofty achievements. Those who cannot make the cut have given into their increasing rage, seeking a more direct means to power and prowess: Khorne. The two factions of the Dark Knights constantly vie for prominence and even fight each other on occasion, always eager for glory.

They openly despise loyalist chapters and renegade legions alike, if on no other ground than they are not members of the Dark Knights. Despite this contempt (or in light of it), the commanders frequently hire mercenary warriors and marines to fill in tactical gaps in their forces. This is seen as both insult and judgment by the Dark Knight brothers, who try even harder to prove their worthiness in the eyes of their lords.

Colors: The standard armor is black with blue trim, and the icon is a white crusader's cross. The marines under Slaanesh's sway proudly display their imperial sigils and accolades, appearing to all as prime examples of the Adeptus Astartes. The brothers that follow Khorne wear black armor with red trim, and bear the obvious mutations of that god. Mercenaries joining the army vary greatly according to their own designs.

That should be good for now, I hope it isn't too rambling (I feel that I am a fairly poor writer, especially tired, but I do enjoy the idea behind these guys).

Archived