Solomon Demeter

Dutch508

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DGI50PzaCyE/S76Sp4e9oII/AAAAAAAAAK4/Y-fzKVyPt6U/s1600/101_2319.JPG

Let me start off by saying I am not a professional painter, but I enjoy painting. That said, I have recently become inspired by this site and others to do more than just build miniatures out of the box. Having read the Horus Heresy books I wanted to build an army based on the pre-heresy times and chose the Emperor's Children for no other reason that I like the color purple.

I chose to do a kitbash for the army's commander and picked the second company captain, Solomon Demeter. Based on the book, Fulgrim, it gave me the ideas needed for the figure, the enhanced chainsword and bolter, no helmet, and tanned face.

The figure is a mash of spare parts out of my boxes. The head is off the new Blood Angels veterans, the body from the Tac Marines, arms from the same. The backpack is a modified Chaos Marines. The base is an Armourcast one.

I have done my very first greenstuff work, doing minor mods to the armor and shoulderpad crest, the backbanner crest and on the chainsword and bolter.

It is my goal to build a playable army using the same type of work on all models.

More pics at my blog.

http://www.maciraq.blogspot.com/

Cons:

- As you say, you're not a very good painter. Sorry to say, just painting the armour purple looks okay, but not great at all

- Here and there the painting's a little sloppy; try to keep it very clean.

- The armour doesn't really resemble Heresy-era power armour.

- Pre-Heresy Emperor's Children Colour scheme is described as purple and gold, not purple and yellow.

Pros:

- You put a lotr of effort into the banner and the shoulder pads, and I think you have a certain potential for free-handing as well as for Green Stuff work - though you still need practice :devil: Generally, I really like both the banner and the shoulder pads.

- Though the chainsword is slightly sloppily done (one can see quite well the place were you glued the two swords together to create a single long one), I LOVE it ;) Great job! Looks nice and neat and fearsome!

- You chose Demeter. Good choice, Demeter's a GREAT character ;)

Generally: Good, but you still need a lot of practice. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the comments. This was my first attempt with greenstuff and it shows. It won't be my last, however.

This is a WIP and the base colors have been painted, but that's all so far. I need to touch-up some of the places. The pics really bring out the problems that you don't see otherwise.

Yeah, the chainsword...not happy with either the connection of the two blades or the final, which is supposed to be a eagle's head. I like the concept of it but need to work on the carving of green stuff.

I didn't plan on doing any armor modification until someone pointed it out. Heck, I wasn't even aware there were different patterns of armor until I started working on the project. I'll be doing more greenstuff work as I go on. There are a couple of guides I've found that shows how to make pre-heresy armor from current models.

A couple of comments on choices. The yellow comes from the second company, as I am sure you know. I am not aware that there was a difference in company colors in pre-heresy. Do you think that the shoulder guard trim should be gold-ish?

Again, thank you for the comments. I know that maybe some people won't comment because of not wanting to say negative things, however how are you supposed to get better if you don't recieve feedback- positive and negative?

His face looks a little off.

How so? Any feed back is welcome as I am trying to be a better painter.

Just so you understand, this is still WIP. The face was painted tanned flesh and hit with fleshwash. I did ink in the eyes, but haven't done any other work yet. Your suggestions are welcomed.

AND- thanks for the reply.

I think that theres too much varnish on the face. If it was sorted out around the eyes and the mouth, it would look a bit better. Its the only thing i can really put my finger on, tho it would give more depth if you washed the armour, I personally like the badab black wash, but its your call, at the moment it looks like you're using the old varnishes, where youd use part hardcoat/part ink. Am i right?

I think that theres too much varnish on the face. If it was sorted out around the eyes and the mouth, it would look a bit better. Its the only thing i can really put my finger on, tho it would give more depth if you washed the armour, I personally like the badab black wash, but its your call, at the moment it looks like you're using the old varnishes, where youd use part hardcoat/part ink. Am i right?

You are correct. Tonight I'll try to blend out the face a bit. I need to blackwash the armor, and detail it out with gold- my typical use is a dark tin, drybrushed with Dwarven bronze, with a shining gold detail.

On another site I saw a similar color scheme highlighted with what looked like either a silver or white color. I may try that to bring out the color.

corrected to add: The highlight was a bleached bone:lich purple at 1:2.

You are correct. Tonight I'll try to blend out the face a bit. I need to blackwash the armor, and detail it out with gold- my typical use is a dark tin, drybrushed with Dwarven bronze, with a shining gold detail.

On another site I saw a similar color scheme highlighted with what looked like either a silver or white color. I may try that to bring out the color.

I thought as much. I had the very same problem with the old inks and varnish, so dont feel too bad. I'd personally suggest swapping over to the new washes, alot of my bareheaded Marine models (i've painted a lot of guardsmen) i've simply done with a basecoat of some form, normally astronomicum grey or dehneb stone, and then dwarf flesh. I'd then sort the eyes out - before washing so i could correct any mistakes, then do a simple orgyn flesh wash over the top.

Everyone has their own opinion on what is good, but i like the way that mine come out, I doubt i'd win any trophies for my abilities, and i know people that are alot better than me (click the link in my signature and look at the inquisitor model compared to the other models) but I enjoy the way i paint.

I paint mine to play with, so I usually don't get too worried about trying to match the stuff I see in WD.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DGI50PzaCyE/S7s1947-elI/AAAAAAAAAKA/aiRyO_iw_A8/s1600/101_2306.JPG

Here is the Standard Bearer I am working on. The image is based loosely on one from the Book of Kells (The Arrest Of Jesus). I was trying to figure out what a group of 'religous' warriors would carry into battle, and thought an image of their god, in this case the Emperor, would do nicely. I've still got a ways to go on it, as Solomon took over my time this week.

The banner is just paper, painted free hand.

The goal of this project is to make a full playable army. The next step is to start doing armor mods.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DGI50PzaCyE/S7_VuUbAYWI/AAAAAAAAALA/VAZKbPVY_qs/s1600/101_2321.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DGI50PzaCyE/S7_Vu3XPV7I/AAAAAAAAALI/pYo8MPxRUC4/s1600/101_2322.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DGI50PzaCyE/S7_VvQcZZxI/AAAAAAAAALQ/cKsk0P2wHko/s1600/101_2323.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DGI50PzaCyE/S7_VwXM-VtI/AAAAAAAAALY/dJn8JpcYmfc/s1600/101_2324.JPG

Still have some work to do, but you can see what it will look like. I've temperarily attached the boltgun and chainsword on to show positioning. The face has been blended and the armor washed and highlighted. The base has it's first colors painted.

I did try to write DEMETER on the right shoulder guard...ain't gonna happen.

I do like how it's turning out.

A for effort ;)

Just a note about the colour scheme. The purple of the EC armour had more of a red tint the closest citadel paint would probably be Warlock Purple and all trim was depicted as a bright gold with Burnished Gold probably being the closest.

However this is your army and if you are happy with the scheme you have then fluff be damned ;)

The color is a bit blue in the pictures, less so in reality. I wasn't aware there had been discussion as to tint of paint for any chapter, least of all pre-heresy, but I suppose there would be. Not being snarky, but could you point me to where this is?

I ask so I can get better at what I am doing.

Thanks for your comments.

I don't think there has been a discussion about it on here lol?

But here is a handy reference for the EC: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...;showarticle=70.

Also this thread has a good depiction about a third of the way down the page: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=140129

The colours I mentioned are just my personal opinion based on other EC armies I've seen and various artworks depicting them.

P.S sorry about the cut and paste but im crap at using links lol.

Archived