Custom Made Raptors

Ashe Darke

I'm thinking of making some Raptors but I wanna custom make my own. I have a plan but it's gonna be expensive so I thought I'd see what people think.

Bear in mind that these guys are not necessarily going to be used, just more of a fun conversion/painting project inspired by a certain recent Night Lords novel. Oh yeah and they're gonna be NL Raptors.

For the legs I was thinking the regular assault marine legs as they're kinda plain and in the right poses. None of the Chaos legs have that kinda 'take off' feel to them.

The jump pack will be the new Sanguinary Guard jump packs. I will also be using the torso backs. For the front of the torsos I'll probably use some spare Chaos front torso pieces.

Then comes the interesting bit. As much as I like the SG wings I don't think they're right but I do like the idea of the wings. So I was thinking of using the Gargoyle wings instead. I have a rough idea of how it looks and I like it but until I see it I can't be sure.

Any thoughts?

Cheers for the link Nihm.

As I suspected the bottom of the wings might need sorting a bit. And as cool as the SG bodies are I don't think they are right for NL Raptors, the link has confirmed this for me.

the last plastic raptors i made were from the khorne berzerkers box and adding plastic jump packs...simple enough. the only real work i did was on shaving the khorne marks off and removing the head vanes... simple and effective...

Here is a NL conversion using Sang. Guard bits and the Gargoyle Wings.

link

Maybe it will help you decide.

I love the Sang Guard jump packs with Gargoyle wings idea for raptors, I'm planning on doin the same with my Night Lord Raptor Allies... although gotta think of some way of making it not look like everyone elses....

Now instead of gettin gargoyle wings, you could sculpt bat like detail on the Sang Guard wings or buy a couple Harpy Wings from GW - Closed Wings & Open Wings

As for some future Khorne raptors, I'm just gonna use Assault Marine & Berezerker parts, mixed with Raptor & Assaut Marine junp packs....

• 2 weeks later...
I've bought some of the pre-heresy jump packs from Chapterhouse, and I'm just going to use them with regular CSMs suitably equipped. I do like the style of the GW models, but the price is too much and the fact that are all flying, and thus wobbly puts me off.

Bought some Assault Marines today. The bodies and weapons are done for four of them. I need to Sanguinary Guard box for the sword before I can choose the pistol and head poses so that will be my next purchase. Once that jump packs are on I'll then decide if I'm gonna do the gargoyle wings or not. Pics will come when I can get a decent focus.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived