Termicide or Dreadnoughts Deluxe?

I am raising a 1750pt host at the moment, and I am stuck on the horns of a dilemna.

I started out with 5 Oblits, 2 typical Termicides + a small reserve of points left over (as well as a good solid core of CSM squads + Lesser Summoned Daemons).

If I drop one of the Termicides, I can raise 2 Dreadnoughts with close combat weaponry.

Which option would be preferable?

(All Praises ... )

Simple answer, go dreadnought. Now my position on this matter is not "objective" more of personal taste. I'd only use termicide if I'd do a berzerker army and with Thousand Sons. Soo dreads is the right way! Oh and more armour on the table is never a bad thing ;)

Oh and more armour on the table is never a bad thing

only when its not slower then the rest of your army .

as the what to take goes . what is the set up of your 1750 because A you should not run oblits in 5 [because 1x3+1x2 or 2x2+1x1 is a bad set up] , 6 or 9 [i personaly dont like the 9 man set up easier to kill then 6] are a better option.

the dreads do absolutly nothing in a chaos army list . they dont not give more target saturation [because they are slower then your DP and rhinos even without the chance of going crazy] , they are worthless in hth [too few attacks] and shoty versions are too weak[without the chance of going crazy and doing nothing or shoting at your own guys] for cheaper you get an oblit with more weapons , easier to hide . they are not good counter units because you cant control them and if you want to run a zylla list then taking defilers is a better option[faster , not going crazy , more attacks , only down side is that cover is harder to get , but zylla builds run 3 defilers and 2 DPs what with rhinos gives a chance that at least some will reach hth] .

So if the choice is between termicid and dreads , I say termicid . But from what you say about the rest of your list I would sooner fill out the oblits to 6 and buy more csm/pms/zerkers , a second DP if your not using one yet.

Id go with the dreads. I love walkers of any kind and try to use them quite extensively. I also dont know if im just lucky but ive only rolled a non-sane result for them once in the games i have played so i have no real worries about it. but if you are, just keep them out of flamer range of your infantry and then you dont have to worry about ff as much.

I do appreciate the replies to date, but I'm still undecided (Situation Normal for a Templar of the Word Bearers, I guess :P ).

I'll toy around with a few orbats & see what hits the WOW factor.

To put the dilemna in context: the warband also has three squads of CSMs in Rhinos, three lots of lesser summoned daemons, a single termicide + a Lord/ Dark Apostle with daemonic weapon/ accursed crozius - as well as the stuff previously listed. I'm building a fairly generic force to play pretty much anything, but won't use a Dp as - stoopid as this sounds - I'm adopting a narrative approach and I want my Lord to earn any promotion to daemonhood. The warband is to be used primarily for friendlies, but will front the odd tournament or two & will be the basis for an Apoc force as well.

Archived