IC gone to ground, Can still join a unit?

JDent

Can an IC who went to ground during the last player's turn join a unit if the unit is moved within 2" of him?

BRB pg. 24 states under Going to Ground "The drawback of going to ground is that the unit can do nothing until the end of it's following turn...Whilst is has gone to ground the unit may do nothing of its own volition...

For IC, BRB pg. 48 states: "In order to join a unit, an IC simply has to move so that he is within the 2" coherency distance of a friendly unit at the end of the movement phase."

This would seem to indicate the IC must make a move action to join the unit, and if he has gone to ground, he can take no action to join a unit, even if the unit is moved within 2" of him. However, later in the IC entry the BRB states "If an IC joins a unit that has gone to ground, he immediately goes to ground as well, and vice versa."

The presence of "vice versa" would indicate a unit can join w/ an IC if the IC has gone to ground.

What do you guys think?

Well the 'has to move' is to reach a criteria. If the criteria is met then he doesn't have to do anything to meet them. If the IC is within 2 inches though he is considered to be joined to the unit anyway so he must have been attached already for him to be 2 inches away when they went to ground.

if an IC has gone to ground then he can't move to within 2" of a unit as he is unable to move or do anything. however, a unit can move to within 2" of the character thus forcing the character to join them at the end of the phase, at the expense of becoming pinned themselves.

well I was just going on the quote in the first post. don't have my rule book on me at the moment. it certainly wouldn't be the case that the IC suddenly became un-pinned by the presence of the squad.

+EDIT+ major failure with spelling :)

The presence of "vice versa" would indicate a unit can join w/ an IC if the IC has gone to ground.

What do you guys think?

Yep I think you're right there. A unit can move to within 2" of a grounded IC and join to him – but then they promptly go to ground themselves. The "vice versa" on p48 makes it clear that that's how things work when one or the other joinee is already grounded.

Cheers

I

Thanks guys, on our game where this came up, we ended up dice rolling it instead of stopping the match to look it up, and at the time we decided the IC could not join the squad. Because of that, I won the game by 1 KP. I'll let my buddy know that it was officially a tie.

Archived