Going to ground and Morale

breng77

A question that came up the other day in a game I was playing was whether a unit that goes to ground has to take a morale check for taking 25% casualties. I argued that it did as it states in going to ground that a unit still must take actions caused by your opponent was I right in this?

units that have gone to ground (either voluntarily or through pinning) are unable to perform any actions of their own volition in their following turn. however most morale checks ar not done in their following turn, the are done in the enemies turn and as such will force a pinnedunit to fall back should they suffer enough wounds. units that are pinned may also fight in an assault should they be charged, so would have to take a morale test should they lose the combat.

i see no reason to say that units that have gone to ground in effect become fearless as they are already hiding out of fear (or self preservation, wahtever you wish t call it) and so in their already frightened or paniced state they would be more prone to falling back in the face of superior firepower or scary looking gribbly things running towards them... just how i see it anyway, but as has been said its in the BRB on p. 24.

Units that are pinned can not do anything on their own, but they must respond to things from the other side.

If they are forced to take the moral test (more than 25%, charged (if fallen to ground and charged you must take the test, if you don't or fail, you die)). Also, even if they went to ground, they must take the test that turn if they took too many casualties.

For instance, snipers kill 2 of an 8 man unit, the unit pin tests first (at end of that shot, prior to any other shooting unit) and then moral at end of turn, even if they went down.

@ Agrab, i can't seem to find where in the rules a unit that has gone to ground runs the risk of being destroyed should it get assaulted, indeed on p 24 of the BRB, in the box labled Going To Ground the rules state '... Whilst it has gone to ground the unit may do nothing of its own volition, but will react normally if affected by enemy actions (for example, it will take morale tests as normal). If the unit has to fall back, it will return to normal immediately. If assaulted, the unit will fight as usual, but gains no advantage for being in cover...'

to my knowledge the only time a unit is destroyed should it be assaulted (or rather runs the risk of being destroyed) is if it is assaulted whilst falling back.

@ Agrab, i can't seem to find where in the rules a unit that has gone to ground runs the risk of being destroyed should it get assaulted, indeed on p 24 of the BRB, in the box labled Going To Ground the rules state '... Whilst it has gone to ground the unit may do nothing of its own volition, but will react normally if affected by enemy actions (for example, it will take morale tests as normal). If the unit has to fall back, it will return to normal immediately. If assaulted, the unit will fight as usual, but gains no advantage for being in cover...'

to my knowledge the only time a unit is destroyed should it be assaulted (or rather runs the risk of being destroyed) is if it is assaulted whilst falling back.

I am trying to remember where, but i need to get the rulebook out everygame to point it out

it is either in the going to ground section OR in the moral section.

There is no need for a FAQ. The rules clearly state that if you suffer casualties when gone to ground, you take a Morale Check, simple as that.

and then moral at end of turn
End of phase. It's hilarious to watch deepstrikers land in terrain then suffer enough casualties to flee before the shooting phase begins.

I am trying to remember where, but i need to get the rulebook out everygame to point it out

It's in the morale section. It's only when you're actually fleeing and get assaulted that you take the Leadership or die.

There is no need for a FAQ. The rules clearly state that if you suffer casualties when gone to ground, you take a Morale Check, simple as that.

and then moral at end of turn
End of phase. It's hilarious to watch deepstrikers land in terrain then suffer enough casualties to flee before the shooting phase begins.

It's in the morale section. It's only when you're actually fleeing and get assaulted that you take the Leadership or die.

I meant phase. I have had that happen (i much prefer the deepstrike, scatter, mishap, roll and die better)

only when fallingback? Hmmm, for some reason i was putting them together in my mind

Archived