My Ultramarines 2nd Company

Hey guys,

I thought I'd start a WIP thread to get feedback from my brothers as to how to improve, rather than taking shots in the dark as I pretty much am now. :)

Right now I'm working on Cato Sicarius, who I plan to have lead my army since it's the fluffy thing to do. He's pretty daunting due to all the detail, but I'm working on him as best I can. So far, this is how he looks:

Front:

gallery_52655_4775_8103.jpg

Back:

gallery_52655_4775_94802.jpg

He's obviously still very rough right now (and needs a metric ton of cleanup work, random splashes of color everywhere), however the back of the cloak is basically where I want it. The random grey is from an ill-fated experiment to see if I could make the white a bit less stark by trying to mix a grey wash, which I got most of off, but not all. I'm thinking at this point I'm going to leave the back banner material as white, even though it does look pretty stark. It kind of makes sense that the banner would be lovingly cared for, and kept in as new condition as possible. I also tried to get the details which I want white painted, and some of those need work as well (particularly the Ultramarines symbol on the helmet plume, which I really messed up somehow). For the most part, however, I feel like he's off to a solid start, and look forward to any constructive criticism you may have for me at this early stage.

More progress with Sicarius. The front side is basically all done, just needs a bit of cleanup (which I only spotted after I took the pics, so perhaps the close-up shot makes it look bigger than it actually is), and the left shoulder is done. Unfortunately, I just can't pick out the shape of the Ultramarines chapter symbol with all the sculpting they did, but I tried my best. Nothing is highlighted yet, as I'm saving that until absolute last. I'm very pleased with how the detailing turned out, he looks even better in person than he does on camera (particularly because the gloss varnish on the gems really makes them look jewel-like IRL)!

Front:

gallery_52655_4775_62190.jpg

Left shoulder:

gallery_52655_4775_132837.jpg

Apologies for the badness of the second picture, and my pictures in general. The only camera I have is the camera on my phone, so it's not exactly high quality.

Finished work on highlighting and shading Sicarius today, painted the inside of the cloak, and painted the head, as well as general tidying up. There are a couple spots in the picture I can pick out that need cleanup, but I can't even see them on the actual mini (either because they're so small, or because they're in the recess behind the sword so you don't see them without flash). Unless I see anything else I need to fix, the body is done, all that's left is the backpack (mostly done), and the back banner (not done at all).

gallery_52655_4775_73014.jpg

Archived